• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2010
    DreamTheater wrote
    Still, should be a hell of a lot more interesting than the music from GI Joe, which didn't raise one eyebrow when I watched that stupid film.

I love GI joe score tongue and the main theme is cooler than the A-team one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2010 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    it is. I don't like very much this re arrangement. and I want the electric guitar from the original theme back!!

uhm

The electric guitar is in there!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    it is. I don't like very much this re arrangement. and I want the electric guitar from the original theme back!!

uhm

The electric guitar is in there!

-Erik-

Im at work and the speakers are not quite good. But I only hear xylophones , trying to say : ey! I'm doing a symphonic version of that theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    9:49... electric guitars!!! How can you NOT hear them?! Xylophones?!?! What are you LISTENING to? There no xylophones present.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. There is NO xylophone there at all lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    in the 9:52 where there is the change of rythm in the theme, when the guitar was played in the original show, is missed on this version. Am i not right? And I can hear the xylophone..:P But i'm at work, i insist.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, I like the thematic material (the A-THEME?!?), but I'm underwhelmed by the more dramatic stuff. Really just quite anonymous bombast, the way he did in VAN HELSING. It's been a long time since I heard anything really good and gripping from Silvestri, but then again he's always been an on/off composer for me.

By the way, I would be curious to hear the synth bits from A-TEAM, as I might like that more (I ADORE his Synclavier efforts in the 80's!).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    in the 9:52 where there is the change of rythm in the theme, when the guitar was played in the original show, is missed on this version. Am i not right?

You're not right. THE GUITAR IS THERE!!!! But then again you hear xylophones...

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    in the 9:52 where there is the change of rythm in the theme, when the guitar was played in the original show, is missed on this version. Am i not right?

You're not right. THE GUITAR IS THERE!!!! But then again you hear xylophones...

-Erik-

Oh! Now i'm at home. Yes there is an electric guitar...and the "xylophones" are some kind of taiko :P
    • CommentAuthorBigMacGyver
    Sorry, there is three statements of the a-team theme. I just realised there is one at the end of track 14 as well. Its not credited to carpenter and post as the other two. I will soon post a link to another suite which will contain material from the synth+orchester stuff that i dont consider as highlights but not as complete miss either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2010
    VAN HELSING was kick ass btw, i seriously hope nobody's comparing it with this one (although just samples in this case, i'll wait and hear the whole thing but seriously who expected anything big from such a movie?)
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2010 edited
    Anyone miss Predator first time round?

Get it now at Intrada: http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.6708/.f

Was the sound quality on the original release THAT bad?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2010
    The Varese release was hissy... that's about it. I won't be double dipping on this one but I'm glad that those who missed out on the first release will be able to have a crack at this one.

-Erik-
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    ...but I'm glad that those who missed out on the first release will be able to have a crack at this one.

I'm glad too. I'm mindful of being accused of moaning about releases like this. It's certainly a score that deserves to be listened to by as many people as possible. I think that a significant number of people didn't really get what all the fuss was about when it was made available by Varese: people who had not been familiar with the score and had just heard that it was a "holy grail" for so many people.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Does it have cheesy synthesizers ala Eraser?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It has synthesizers.
    It's a fine score. I enjoy the release I have (and certainly won't be double-dipping: the sound quality is fine), but aside from the lovely eerie multiplexed percussion I really can't see what makes this score stand out, or be anyone's holy grail.

Well. Glad a lot of people will be serviced though without having to pay through the nose: indeed any (re)release that f*x those Ebay vultures in the ass gets a thumbs-up from me!.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Does it have cheesy synthesizers ala Eraser?

You've never heard the score or seen the film!? shocked

It has synthesizers, but they're very much integrated into the orchestral jungle vibe of the score. It's quite monothematic, but the theme and its action variations are strong enough to make a damn fine album. A lot of people seem to prefer the second one, much like Jaws 2, but I'll always take this one!

This is a Holy Grail for me, but only because I grew up with the film and its music. I'm not sure it would be the same for you.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    As Steven quite rightly pointed out, PREDATOR 2 is the better score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    As Steven quite rightly pointed out, PREDATOR is the better score.

Exactly!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    To be fair, if it wasn't for the seriously awesome testosterone-tastic 9 minute End Title of PREDATOR 2, I would definitely go for the original as the better score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    We'll add that to the ever growing list of scores and their sequels we disagree on! biggrin (Jaws/Jaws 2, Wrath of Khan/Search for Spock and Predator/Predator 2! Any more?)
  3. He probably likes "Superman IV" over "Superman". Just a thought.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    justin boggan wrote
    He probably likes "Superman IV" over "Superman". Just a thought.

Yes, I do! Everyone knows of my overwhelming love of Superman IV, both film and score, EVERYONE!!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    We'll add that to the ever growing list of scores and their sequels we disagree on! biggrin (Jaws/Jaws 2, Wrath of Khan/Search for Spock and Predator/Predator 2! Any more?)

Favourite in large capitals

EMPIRE STRIKES BACK / Star Wars

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK / The Temple of Doom

SUPERMAN / Superman II

FINAL CONFLICT / Damien Omen II, The Omen

THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN / Return of The Magnificent Seven

THE RETURN OF THE KING / The Twin Towers / The Fellowship of The Ring

are we starting to merge in agreement yet Steven? wink
  4. Timmer wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    He probably likes "Superman IV" over "Superman". Just a thought.

Yes, I do! Everyone knows of my overwhelming love of Superman IV, both film and score, EVERYONE!!!

Calm down ol' timmer. tongue
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I think you meant 'ol' timer' wink
  5. Play on your name. Calm down, ol' timmer. moon

(at least you're wearin' your reading glasses)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Favourite in large capitals

EMPIRE STRIKES BACK / Star Wars

It used to be Empire, but now I'm not too sure?

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK / The Temple of Doom

Agreed.

SUPERMAN / Superman II

Agreed.

FINAL CONFLICT / Damien Omen II, The Omen

Agreed.

THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN / Return of The Magnificent Seven

Never heard the second one.

THE RETURN OF THE KING / The Twin Towers / The Fellowship of The Ring

Probably... but I count them as one large work, so I tend not to favour one score over the other!?

are we starting to merge in agreement yet Steven? wink

It certainly seems so.
  6. Using the shopping cart method, it's being reported at FSM that "Predator" is down to 1,105 copies.