• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. DreamTheater wrote
    Nothing in The Avengers is as awesome as Predator 1/2 or Judge Dredd or Eraser or The Mummy Returns. Those are excellent Silvestri action scores. I somehow doubt we will ever hear that sound again from the man.

Well, maybe if Shane Black hires him for his upcoming Predator film, we'll get that Predator sound again. Maybe.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Nah, don't think it will sound as early Silvestri. Like how modern Williams doesn't quite sound like earlier Williams, or Horner, or whomever...

With my luck The Predator will go to Mr. Tyler. Generic action score no. 259 of his career. sad

But Debney did a great job mimicking Silvestri, so I wouldn't be against that decision.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Late Beethoven doesn't sound like young Beethoven either. Artists evolve. smile

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. DreamTheater wrote
    With my luck The Predator will go to Mr. Tyler. Generic action score no. 259 of his career. sad

I like Tyler a hell of a lot more than you but I agree that this would be a disappointing and predictable choice. I think Beltrami would rock it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2016
    There is a possibility that the new Predator score could go to Ottman. Be afraid... be very afraid!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Oh right, Shane Black. Hm. slant
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    There is a possibility that the new Predator score could go to Ottman. Be afraid... be very afraid!

-Erik-

NOOOOOOOOOOO, Predator appearing with The Shawshank Redemption melody behind it face-palm-mt
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  7. lol

Nah, Ottman will manage to find something even more counterintuitive than that. Maybe he'll quote Rota's Romeo and Juliet or perhaps the theme from The Third Man? Wouldn't put it past him.
  8. Considering he was a big fan of Horner, an even better idea would be Ottman using his 4 note danger motif as a sort of tribute, whenever El Predatorio is on screen. It would also be extremely appropriate since the dreadlocked dude is the most dangerous creature ever to have been captured on cellulloid. Something that can kill humans and aliens without breaking a sweat is the very essence of danger. cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  9. The way Black is talking, I would like to think he knows Silvestri is the only choice. I guess we'll see. But if it's John Ottoman, AKA John Ottman, I'll be let down.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  10. A new hour long video interview from Film Music Media:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlkOhDNSkUg
  11. Here's my review of ALLIED.

And that interview with Kaya Savas at Film Music Media is fantastic.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  12. My review of ALLIED, for anyone who's interested:

https://moviemusicuk.us/2016/11/29/alli … silvestri/

Jon
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2017 edited
    It would seem that Silvestri and not Williams is scoring Spielberg's Ready Player One.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/john- … 202490105/
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2017
    I'm both disappointed and excited.
  13. I couldn't phrase it better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2017
    Extremely disappointed by this one. I don't even have mixed feelings. Ready Player One was THE John Williams score I was looking forward to most, while Silvestri has been underperforming for years. Let's hope he'll realize the high expectations on this one and deliver his best work in years, and something that goes beyond regular orchestrations.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2017
    Steven wrote
    I'm both disappointed and excited.

Perfect description.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Definitely disappointed. I don't think I've ever listened to a score by Silvestri that I liked other than the main theme. Williams on the other hand writes music so consistently complex, beautiful and refined that it doesn't matter what cue you pick, you'll find a microcosm of what makes him great (unless you pick, "Snoke" from The Force Awakens...)
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  14. If I consider Silvestri's best works I couldn't say his writing is less complex or refined or beautiful (which is a matter of taste anyway) than that of Williams. A Williams fanboy would argue that Williams is the absolute gold standard beyond time and space and that any divergence from his music is lower in quality by natural law. But that would be a point of view that you can't argue with. Silvestri is able to write magnificent music IMO.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Captain Future wrote
    If I consider Silvestri's best works I couldn't say his writing is less complex or refined or beautiful (which is a matter of taste anyway) than that of Williams.

I could! But he's a fine composer and if Williams can't do this film then I'm happy Silvestri can.
  15. Captain Future wrote
    A Williams fanboy would argue that Williams is the absolute gold standard beyond time and space and that any divergence from his music is lower in quality by natural law. But that would be a point of view that you can't argue with. Silvestri is able to write magnificent music IMO.

Volker

Not indicating that this point of view is necessarily yours.
  16. I would definitely say Silvestri's music is less complex and refined. I mean, he's no slouch, but he's also no Williams.

Also, for a project like this I fear Silvestri will try to rely on electronics and that has never been a great side of his. Plus it would have been interesting to hear Williams be all futuristic. On the other hand, I do think Spielberg will inspire Silvestri to rise above the lackluster fare he's been composing of late. So I'm a little disappointed, and a little curious, and maybe a tad excited - but less so than I would have been for Williams.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2017 edited
    This

THIS

THIS

Worry not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2017 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Also, for a project like this I fear Silvestri will try to rely on electronics and that has never been a great side of his.

Quite the contrary, it's one of his strong suits, especially the 80s stuff.

First of all, I'm sorry to hear that Williams won't do RPO. I had hoped for something pulsating in the style of MINORITY REPORT, perhaps (or at least PRESUMED INNOCENT, which isnt' too bad). I'm glad that he's doing THE PAPERS (any new Williams is appreciated), but I'm not excited about the project at all, and I can kinda already hear the score in my mind. Not the biggest canvas, nor the greatest opportunity for a fine textural score. I was far more excited for Williams' RPO than Williams' THE PAPERS.

All that being said, I'm curious about what Silvestri can deliver. I've not read the book, but something tells me "retro electronics" here. As I said, Silvestri was great with electronics in the 80s, and he proved that he still has that touch with certain tracks in the COSMOS soundtrack. So if he can delve into some of that, I'd be a happy camper.

Time will tell!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Anthony wrote
    This

THIS

THIS

Worry not.

Those could all have been from the same score. Which is my problem with Silvestri.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2017
    Thor wrote
    All that being said, I'm curious about what Silvestri can deliver. I've not read the book, but something tells me "retro electronics" here.

That's the only kind of electronics he knows, and oh dear you've made me worry about it now. Silvestri and electronics: a match made in hell.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2017
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote
    All that being said, I'm curious about what Silvestri can deliver. I've not read the book, but something tells me "retro electronics" here.

That's the only kind of electronics he knows, and oh dear you've made me worry about it now. Silvestri and electronics: a match made in hell.

Couldn't disagree more. Have you heard COSMOS? Some fine, contemporary synth use there. But even if it were just retro stuff, I'd love it. First, because it seems appropriate for the story, and it's silestri's true origin as a composer (along with percussion). Second because I absolutely adore his Synclavier/Linndrum/Yamaha stuff from that period. Damn, just talking about it really makes me hopeful of such a direction!
    I am extremely serious.
  17. My review of READY PLAYER ONE, for anyone who's interested:

https://moviemusicuk.us/2018/04/03/read … silvestri/

Jon
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2018 edited
    And here's mine (in Norwegian):

http://celluloidtunes.no/ready-player-o … silvestri/

(slightly more lukewarm than Jon's).
    I am extremely serious.