• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    Oh and certainly Johan Soderqvist: LET THE RIGHT ONE IN, AFTER THE WEDDING, EFFIE BRIEST for starters.

Yes, Söderqvist is bloody brilliant...his calm and soothing DE USYNLIGE is one of my favourites from 2008.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    How about Danny Elfman's "Standard Operating Procedure"? I think that's very quiet (for Elfman anyways), but with many nice themes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    plindboe wrote
    Demetris, it gets 7.5 on imdb, so most people certainly adore it. I found it good too, but only enough for a 6 rating. If you like movies about prisoner of war stuff, survival in a hostile environment or if you want to see Christian Bale eat live grubs, this will be your kinda movie.

Peter smile

Imdb audiences like everything wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Christodoulides wrote

Meet Gigli.

Peter wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thor, also check out
    KLAUS BADELT's brilliant RESCUE DAWN

Indeed, I just saw this movie yesterday and I noticed the music as well. Despite it being about a pilot crashing in a jungle, being hunted, captured, tortured, then a gunfight, an escape, being hunted some more, it was entirely without any unpleasant or loud music. All the music seemed reflective, melodic and it did have a superb theme. Considering getting this one myself.

Peter smile

Is it a good movie? Worth it?

Yes, it is worth watching. I watched it a few weeks ago actually.Badelt´s music fits so well.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  1. Timmer wrote
    ...and Thor, I would, would, recommend John Barry's brilliant non-score album The Beyondness of Things but likely that's like asking you to pour banana custard over a steak dinner.

And, ( no surprise ) Your loss, IMO. wink

I'm not a huge Barry fan but I do genuinely enjoy 'The Beyondness of things". I've not yet picked up "Eternal Echoes", how does that compare?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    John Chambers wrote
    I'm not a huge Barry fan but I do genuinely enjoy 'The Beyondness of things". I've not yet picked up "Eternal Echoes", how does that compare?

More of the same, but not quite as good.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    What about Eleni Karaindrou? I just got myself that compilation album.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    John Chambers wrote
    Timmer wrote
    ...and Thor, I would, would, recommend John Barry's brilliant non-score album The Beyondness of Things but likely that's like asking you to pour banana custard over a steak dinner.

And, ( no surprise ) Your loss, IMO. wink

If you enjoy Beyondness you'll likely enjoy Echoes too John.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Artworks wrote
    How about Danny Elfman's "Standard Operating Procedure"? I think that's very quiet (for Elfman anyways), but with many nice themes.

Great choice! Thor's never heard any Elfman.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Artworks wrote

Great choice! Thor's never heard any Elfman.

wink

However, YOU should check out that one, Tim. Knowing your taste a little bit, I think you'll like it. It's available in free streaming here:

http://www.musicme.com/#/page.php?q=standard+operating
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thank you Thor, will do! beer
  2. If you haven't heard if, there is an original piece of music Glass wrote for "The Truman Show", which I think will be right up your alley.

Didn't he write two original pieces for the film (aside from the temp tracked scores)?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    plindboe wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Meet Gigli.

Peter wink

2 friggin stars?!?! It should be minus 2.

fommes wrote
    What about Eleni Karaindrou? I just got myself that compilation album.

Quite right, there.

Thor, you'll love THE WEAPING MEADOW, i am almost sure.
  3. Timmer wrote
    If you enjoy Beyondness you'll likely enjoy Echoes too John.

Listened to 'Beyondness' again this afternoon, it really is terrific. Thanks for the endorsement Timmer, I'll definitely pick up 'Echoes' as it's going cheap on Amazon at the moment!

As for recommendations for calm music I'd have to suggest the sublime 'Yo-Yo Ma plays Ennio Morricone'. Beautiful arrangements of some of the finest film music ever written, performed beautifully by both the Orchestra and Ma; really moving stuff.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2010
    beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2010
    Thor, you're absolutely adore AARON ZIGMAN's My sister's keeper...soothing piano led music with acoustic guitar and strings, very melancholic and beautiful...same goes for Marcelo Zarvos' The door in the floor...

Also, you should really check out Mark Mckenzie's gorgeous scores, like Saving Sarah Cain.

Or Adrian Johnston's work.

I'll give you more examples when i get back home tomorrow, now i am off for a hot Saturday night out with the babe wink

Cheers everyone beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    Also, you should really check out Mark Mckenzie's gorgeous scores,

Indeed, isn't all his scores of the calm and gorgeous kind? Don't think I've ever heard him be loud and obnoxious before.

"The last sin eater" is my favourite Mark McKenzie score. The melodies are kinda simple, but they're all sweet, warm and gentle. The score is almost void of nondescript underscore, instead it's catchy and highly melodic from beginning to end.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2010 edited
    Here are some suggestions from me smile

How about Morricone's Nuovo Cinema Paradiso? Even though you need to exclude some intense cues such as Fire on Cinema. Heavenly beautiful love

Dark Blue Almost Black (Azul Oscuro Casi Negro) by Pascal Gaigne - It's mostly quiet throughout, featuring beautiful strings, piano and woodwinds. It's digital only release from MovieScore Media.

Zimmer's Nine Months with Mozart (wink) is my favorite "music to sleep with", along with JW's Stepmom.

And some from my country...

Kikujiro and Departures (Okuribito) by Joe Hisaishi
    Lots of piano and strings. Maybe some pieces on Kikujiro are more lively than "calm", but it's a fantastic album anyway. Departures has also piano and solo cello, with a great main theme.

Hisaishi's Piano Stories albums are full of calm, pleasant pieces. Actually they're classified as Easy Listening albums, but mostly piano arrangements of Hisaishi's film/TV/commercial works. Freedom: Piano Stories 4 is the best of what I've heard, and it has many calm pieces, though it has an energetic (and fantastic) piece called Oriental Wind. cool

Also I'd like to recommend Whisper Of The Heart by Yuji Nomi, one of my favorites. Some tracks feature old instruments like lute, or electronic guitar and synthesizers, also some orchestral tracks. And beautiful piano on the opening theme.
    Clips are here. Probably it's not so easy to buy outside Japan, though...
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2010
    Would anyone mind if I opened up this thread to be a little more all-purpose? I love calm music as well but I like listening more to the cheerful and chirpy stuff. Sometimes melancholic calm stuff just seems too dreary for me. Anyone have any cheerful suggestions? A lot of McKenzie's stuff would work, I think. Also, I've been looking for something that might sound like an extension of the Viva Piñata soundtrack for a long time, but I've never found it. I'd love it if someone has some suggestions there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2010 edited
    I stand by one of my first recommendations: Stepmom by John Williams. It's a very sentimental, relaxing and very charming score (with some wonderful acoustic guitar led tracks). Same goes for The Terminal, though perhaps not the national anthem bit.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2010
    A few suggestions that haven't been mentioned already:

Michael Kamen The Winter Guest

George Fenton A Handful of Dust

Angelo Badalamenti The Straight Story

Adrian Johnston Becoming Jane and Brideshead Revisited

Howard Shore Nobody's Fool

Philippe Rombi 5 X 2

Harry Gregson-Williams The Magic of Marciano

Brian Keane Ansel Adams

Marvin Hamlisch Sophie's Choice