• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorRanietz
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2010
    I miss those games. What happened? Did everyone loose their interest? Please bring it back. spin
  1. I think the last thread was left hanging with my request for new challengers: "Is there noone else?!?"
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think the main problem is they take a lot effort to make and you can't always guarantee you'll get that many participants.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2010 edited
    I think one problem was the hints. When there are hints like "the movie this score was from had two Oscar nominations in 2001, and starred an actor with the initials C.E." then one could easily spend 10 minutes searching on Google and imdb for each clip, and with 20 clips it could end up taking hours. I got a bit tired of the games at the end, and started procrastinating, because there was too much work involved.

Hints can be fine, if it's the kind of hints that one doesn't have to research. Like "Italian composer" if referring to Morricone, because everyone knows that. I think any future games should have between 10 and 15 clips (and at least 5 of them should be easy ones), and with simple hints, if any, because the games should be mainly about music recognition, instead of movie trivia.

That said, I do have a folder on my computer dedicated to future Guess the Score games. I probably have enough clips for 3 games. wink I'm too busy for the moment though, so don't ask me to host any game soon.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Perhaps one should do a game with NO hints whatsoever? Just ease up on the difficulty level instead? That would prevent those cumbersome research hours. Either you know it or you don't.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I think that people got a bit tired of participating in these games after a while. I remember the numbers of participants dwindling the longer the games went on.

I really enjoyed putting these clips together - and I've got a lot that I could use for future games - but I found that a lot of what I did people just didn't know (I've always found it difficult getting the balance between too easy and too hard right.)

As Peter mentions, I'd prefer there to be no hints at all. Hints just gave me a chance to Google and come up with the answer. Better to let the clip be the clue rather than the hint.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Thor wrote
    Perhaps one should do a game with NO hints whatsoever? Just ease up on the difficulty level instead? That would prevent those cumbersome research hours. Either you know it or you don't.

The more difficult clips are likely to be from scores that fewer people know about.

Maybe there could be a set of clips that showcase a score/composer rather than be the basis of a game?

Perhaps someone would like to put together a series of clips to illustrate why they recommend a score or a specific composer. People could then listen to the selected clips and discover new music?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorRanietz
    A game with no hints are fine by me. I'll admit I spent to much time using google in the previous ones. shame
  4. I know, and I used to put many of them together. I think the time to make them, and the fact indeed less and less people participated eventually killed the score games, I'll try to make some time to put up another one. Don't know when though
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I used to really enjoy creating them and I used to really enjoy playing them. Trouble was, by the end, only 3 or 4 people took part so there was no real point in spending all that time getting things prepared.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Ditto with James.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2010
    Why make several tracks ?
    Upload one track and start from there ... wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2010
    That is a good idea! One track per day or something?