• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2010
    I'm curious what religious, political or other kinds of beliefs the various film composers out there have/had. Not that it ultimately matters of course, it's entirely out of curiousity that I'd like to know. The only ones I know so far is that Morricone is a roman catholic. Isham is a scientologist. And I think I read somewhere that Goldsmith was an atheist, but I might misremember. I'm also curious about political beliefs. If I remember correctly Danny Elfman recently campaigned for Obama's election

Any other examples?.

Peter smile

PS.Try to remember that this thread is not to discuss validity, or lack thereof, of beliefs, but merely about what beliefs the various composers have.
  1. Williams wrote a piece for Obama, so either he was jusyt getting a paycheck, or he's on the crazy democrat side right now.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    justin boggan wrote
    Williams wrote a piece for Obama, so either he was jusyt getting a paycheck, or he's on the crazy democrat side right now.

He was just a professional musician and composer. smile
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2010 edited
    Isham is a scientologist.

Oh.... really? slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSH wrote
    Isham is a scientologist.

Oh.... really? slant

If true, that's a fail.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. C'mon boys. There still is such a thing as being prejudiced towards someone because of their beliefs.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh, i know, and Isham's got great character and his a very able composer, i am not the slightest prejudiced against him or anything, rather the contrary. But, just commenting........Scientology? Seriously.
  3. Well, sometimes they need it to write the way they do. After all, John Debney duelled with the devil in the parking lot while writing PASSION OF THE CHRIST. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    justin boggan wrote
    Williams wrote a piece for Obama, so either he was jusyt getting a paycheck, or he's on the crazy democrat side right now.

He also wrote a piece for the Democratic candidate Michael Dukakis in the 80's, so I think it's fair to assume where his sympathies lie.

As for Elfman, he has actually made public statements on his political leanings several times, the most obvious being the literal CAMPAIGN he launched AGAINST the Republican candidate Sarah Palin during the recent elections. Here's his whole article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/danny-elf … 39246.html

I like this segment:

"Sarah Palin was my worst nightmare.

It was like experiencing a real-life reenactment of the movie The Omen. Not that I literally thought Sarah Palin was Damien with a 666 birthmark on her scalp, but it still felt like some kind of terrible pre-ordained horror. Worse -- a person who thought that "seeing" Russian land in the distance gave her an edge on international relations? A person who believed that men walked with dinosaurs when the world began 6000 years ago? Worse. The idea that person who believed that the "End of Days" would likely happen in her lifetime would possess the launch codes for enough firepower to actually bring that Armageddon to fruition without God's help. The personification of the repressive, small-minded extreme religious right in the driver's seat of the racecar called Earth!

Uh uh. No way."
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ^ Elfman's clearly a clever man.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Elfman solidifies his status as one of THE coolest composers. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2010 edited
    Ah, yes, I forgot about John Debney being a christian. I also just read that Danny Elfman is an atheist.

Any others?

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2010
    I read that James Newton Howard has Jewish heritage though I don't know if he is a practicing Jew himself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Jews make bloody good film composers! (That's positive racism. wink )
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    They make bloody good everything, basically wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

Even bacon sarnies?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Even bacon sarnies?

Except for that.

I think James Horner is Jewish, but his main worship is clearly for Prokofiev.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJon Broxton
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2010 edited
    Horner is definitely Jewish. Debbie Wiseman, Elliot Goldenthal, Mark Snow and Philip Glass are all Jewish too. Both Goldsmith and Elmer Bernstein were born Jewish, but I don't know whether they became an atheist later. Alex North, Lenny Rosenman, Jerry Fielding and Aaron Copland were also Jewish.

Both Debney and Mark McKenzie are evangelical Christians, which explains why Passion of the Christ was so important to Debney especially.

Isham is a scientologist. Larry Groupe is a Quaker. Rather amusingly, Clint Mansell says his religion is "Wolves" (meaning Wolverhampton Wanderers, an English football team)

In terms of American politics (and according to their facebook profiles), Elfman, David Newman, Randy Newman, Chris Lennertz, Craig Safan, Ed Shearmur, Jeff Rona, Joel McNeely, John Ottman are left-wing (Democrats/Liberal); Debney is pretty right-wing (Republican/Conservative).
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2010
    I'm pretty sure Brian Tyler is atheist/agnostic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Ennio Morricone is a practising Roman Catholic. (I guess that's one of the reasons why he can write such spiritual music.)
  4. Jon Broxton wrote
    Horner is definitely Jewish. Debbie Wiseman, Elliot Goldenthal, Mark Snow and Philip Glass are all Jewish too. Both Goldsmith and Elmer Bernstein were born Jewish, but I don't know whether they became an atheist later. Alex North, Lenny Rosenman, Jerry Fielding and Aaron Copland were also Jewish.

Both Debney and Mark McKenzie are evangelical Christians, which explains why Passion of the Christ was so important to Debney especially.

Isham is a scientologist. Larry Groupe is a Quaker. Rather amusingly, Clint Mansell says his religion is "Wolves" (meaning Wolverhampton Wanderers, an English football team)

In terms of American politics (and according to their facebook profiles), Elfman, David Newman, Randy Newman, Chris Lennertz, Craig Safan, Ed Shearmur, Jeff Rona, Joel McNeely, John Ottman are left-wing (Democrats/Liberal); Debney is pretty right-wing (Republican/Conservative).

Deborah Lurie is also Jewish.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Jon Broxton wrote
    Both Goldsmith and Elmer Bernstein were born Jewish, but I don't know whether they became an atheist later.

Probably not your intended meaning, I'm guessing you mean born of Jewish parents, but regardless I should point out that a child -especially a new born- can't be labeled with any belief (or non-belief) system - only that it has parents of a particular religion (or, in many cases, non-religion).

Also, when we say "Jewish", do we mean a person of Judaism the religion, as the title of the thread would indicate, or do we mean a person of Jewish heritage and, well, DNA? (I usually use it within the context of the latter.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Jon Broxton wrote
    Debney is pretty right-wing (Republican/Conservative).

He will make Steven's new best friend then wink

Oh, and Larry Groupe is a Quaker.........?
  5. Steven wroteProbably not your intended meaning, I'm guessing you mean born of Jewish parents.

Correct. I mean they had Jewish parentage.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Probably not your intended meaning, I'm guessing you mean born of Jewish parents, but regardless I should point out that a child -especially a new born- can't be labeled with any belief (or non-belief) system - only that it has parents of a particular religion (or, in many cases, non-religion).

It's simply a matter of being inside or outside that particular belief system whether you accept the state of the child.

Assuredly a new born can be labeled Jewish if you accept the Jewish dogma that a Jewish mother means a Jewish child.
    A baptised child can certainly be labeled Catholic or Protestant if you accept that baptism leads to that state.

According to the Catholic Church, I am most definitely a Roman Catholic (having been baptised thusly).
    According to me, I couldn't care less about some bloke in a frock throwing some water in my face without my consent, and wouldn't consider Catholicism in any way, shape or form part of my personality or status.

a person of Jewish heritage and, well, DNA?

Jewish heritage or DNA? confused
    I don't understand what you mean?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. A person is regarded as Jewish if they mother is Jewish, it's as simple as that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    How many babies do you know who have the maturity to understand what religion is and take matters in their own hands and decide for themselves? wink People label their babies, the same religion they share until they can grow older and change it for themselves if they like. No biggie.
  7. Well, with Judaism it's a case of motherhood and with Catholicism, you are made Catholic before you even utter a word. Whether you go to church or not is another thing (sometimes parents just baptize their children and that's about the only time they went to church after they got married in one)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    PawelStroinski wrote
    A person is regarded as Jewish if they mother is Jewish, it's as simple as that.

That's the thing: it's NOT as simple as that. What you say is merely a convention.
    If someone who is born from a Jewish mother tells me he doesn't consider himself Jewish in any way, shape or form, I'm sure as hell not going to look oddly at him for attending Catholic mass or not observing Sabbath!

A rabbi or Israelite official may look at that very differently though. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn