• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Scoring:

"The Box Collector"
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. I thought it was time for a couple of Warbeck scores, and a couple is what you're gonna get:

- Proof
    - Two Brothers
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2009
    1998.....Prince of Egypt.....Mulan....

Warbeck wins the Oscar. Goldsmith loses his last oportunity to win an Oscar, with one of his most brilliant scores for a Disney Classic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2010
    There's been long time since we talked about this composer.....he too has an under-the-radar score this year, has anyone heard it?

THE OTHER MAN, music by Stephen Warbeck
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. I had a nice long chat with him during the WSA press conference reception. He anounced he was going to be scoring the American TV series 'Game of Thrones'.
    He said he was thinking of taking a low strings+ethnic percussion approach for this Fantasy, macho series. But nothing had been cleared yet with the director and producors, so he might as just end up with a piccolo.

He was a great guy to talk to. Hope to have another chance to hear his music performed live.

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2010
    He's a very good composer, he's underused.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2010 edited
    Fantasy macho series? Were those his own words?
    I really hope he reads the frakkin' book before he scores a note.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2010
    I think he doesn't care; he's desperate for job smile
  4. It is a hell of a job. He has the chance to do some really serious stuff here. Lots of different dynasties, a dozen and more lead characters; a fantastic setting with a rich background; don´t get me started on the story. This should be a dream come true for every serious composer, not just a "ten-episode job for HBO", as he has been quoted elsewhere. This little ten-episode job could easily expand to an eight to ten year job scoring one of the best fantasy series ever, if things go well, since they will do at least one season per book, and seven are planned. This is a massive project. I can only hope he realises this very soon.
  5. Ralph Kruhm wrote

I don't want to paraphrase him incorrectly, but what my perception was, is that scoring it with very eary high pitched noises seemed the wrongest way to go for him, as it was a series with men clad in leather (this he really did say). Maybe I used the word macho and he didn't correct me. I'm not sure. It was all said in jest, but he was pretty serious when he said he wanted to use the low strings/ethnic percussion, which does seem like an interesting thing to listen to.

Hope this clears it a bit up.

Elin
  6. Christodoulides wrote

He's done about a dozen scores in over a year -- I don't think he's struggling to find work...
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  7. justin boggan wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

He's done about a dozen scores in over a year -- I don't think he's struggling to find work...

True. It didn't sound like he was desperately looking for a job. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2010 edited
    Skating_Lientje wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

I don't want to paraphrase him incorrectly, but what my perception was, is that scoring it with very eary high pitched noises seemed the wrongest way to go for him, as it was a series with men clad in leather (this he really did say). Maybe I used the word macho and he didn't correct me. I'm not sure. It was all said in jest, but he was pretty serious when he said he wanted to use the low strings/ethnic percussion, which does seem like an interesting thing to listen to.

Hope this clears it a bit up.

Elin

Thanks for clarifying this. Of course, it´s a series where knights in shining armour are as prominent as wild, barbarian like "machos", but that doesn´t make the series itself macho, and it´s hardly all about that. There are some very strong female characters in the series who each deal quite differently with the fact that women are being pushed around a lot in this world. It´s the stupidity of male machism that this series constantly points out, and by getting this wrong, the whole tone and understanding of the series´ intentions would suffer.
    We´ll see what he´ll do with it. I think I can guess what he will use the ethnic percussion for, and it´s most certainly not a nice, romantic fantasy world, but a world set in brutal realism. Low strings may be a good approach. We´ll see. It was the macho comment that felt really wrong to me.
  8. Listen to a a 14:51 minute suite from his unreleased score to "There Be Dragons":
    http://www.goear.com/listen/5d4c235/cli … en-warbeck

Orchestral works, with some dramatic builds, and softer moments. There is also a couple source music songs which I guess he arranged.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2011
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

OSCAR-WINNING COMPOSER STEPHEN WARBECK’S HAWAIIAN PRINCESS
    The sweeping orchestral score for ’Princess Ka’iulani’ to be released by MovieScore Media

(September 21, 2011- Göteborg, Sweden) – British composer Stephen Warbeck, who won an Academy Award for his Shakespeare in Love score in 1999, has composed an exquisite orchestral score for Princess Ka’iulani, Marc Forby’s historical drama telling the true story of Princess Ka’iulani’s attempts to maintain the independence of Hawaii against the threat of American colonization at the end of the 19th century. Acclaimed soundtrack label MovieScore Media has reached an agreement with Island Film Group to release the sweeping, romantic soundtrack both on CD and digitally online.

Performed with great beauty by the Honolulu Symphony Orchestra under the baton of Andreas Delfs and mixed at Abbey Road Studios in London, the score for Princess Ka’iulani was designed to reflect the emotions and inner turmoil of the princess rather than commenting on the setting of the story. Said Stephen Warbeck, ”It does not seek to create the sense of place. Elements of source music do this and belong in that part of history where the film takes place. In the score, we sought to serve the emotional journey of Ka’iulani.” Thus, the music has a poignant, classical tone with memorable themes, elegant orchestrations and intimate voiceleading. The soundtrack also features Tchaikovsky’s sad but noble ’Barcarolle’.

Stephen Warbeck is one of the best-known film composers working in Britain today. His many credits include Shakespeare in Love, for which he won an Oscar for Best Original Score, Captain Corelli’s Mandolin, Billy Elliott, Flawless, Miguel and William, Birthday Girl, Quills, Mrs Brown and My Son the Fanatic. Stephen’s most recent film scores include Alpha Male, Love at First Kill, The Other Man, The Winter Butterfly, Gallowwalker, There Be Dragons and Princess Ka’iulani. Stephen won the Georges Delerue Prize for his score for Proof in 2005 and was nominated for the European Film Award for The Memory of a Killer the year before.

Princess Ka’iulani was released in theatres and on DVD in 2010 and won the Audience Award and Best Feature Award at the Hawaii International Film Festival in 2009. The film is the feature directing debut of Marc Forby and stars Q’orianka Kilcher as the princess, and Barry Pepper (Saving Private Ryan, True Grit, The Green Mile), Will Patton (Remember the Titans, Armageddon, The Postman), Tamzin Merchant (Pride & Prejudice, Jane Eyre, Red Faction: Origins) and Julian Glover (Troy, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Star Wars: Episode V – The Empire Strikes Back).

MovieScore Media will release Princess Ka’iulani (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) on CD and digitally online on October 11, 2011.

Implementing a new policy with this release and hoping to contribute to a new industry standard, MovieScore Media will denote the number of the manufactured edition on the CD. The first edition of Princess Ka’iulani is limited to 500 copies.

MovieScore Media (http://www.moviescoremedia.com) which has been nominated for the International Film Music Critics Association ’Soundtrack Label of the Year’ award five yearsin a row and has released original music from over 150 films on CD and digitally online. It is distributed in the UK by RSK Entertainment and in the USA by Screen Archives Entertainment.

For more information, interview requests or review copies, please contact MovieScore Media at info@moviescoremedia.com.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    MovieScore Media (http://www.moviescoremedia.com) which has been nominated for the International Film Music Critics Association ’Soundtrack Label of the Year’ award five yearsin a row and has released original music from over 150 films on CD and digitally online. It is distributed in the UK by RSK Entertainment and in the USA by Screen Archives Entertainment.

Congratulations on the nomination, Mikael! beer
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  9. Not quite immediate - I can't find it on your site or on iTunes at the moment! wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  10. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Not quite immediate - I can't find it on your site or on iTunes at the moment! wink

On your site, the Warbeck title has a release date of October, 11th!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  11. FalkirkBairn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Not quite immediate - I can't find it on your site or on iTunes at the moment! wink

On your site, the Warbeck title has a release date of October, 11th!!

My mistake: the notice release is immediate. In the bowels of the promo it does mention the October date. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Standard press release talk, Alan.
    Although interestingly I've never seen a press release stating "for release in three weeks" or so.
    It's just something everyone by default puts on top.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  12. Martijn wrote
    Standard press release talk, Alan.
    Although interestingly I've never seen a press release stating "for release in three weeks" or so.
    It's just something everyone by default puts on top.

I was just so used to Mikael's announcements being made when the title is actually available. And the "Immediate Release", I assumed it was for the score rather than for just the announcement. Seems a bit redundant to put on the promotional material that the promotional material is for immediate release.
  13. And I will have forgotten this press release by the time of the actual release. Will there be another press release (again for immediate release) saying that the Warbeck has been released...immediately?

dizzy

smile
  14. Mikael, what's the chance of releasing his "There Be Dragons" score?
    Varese has done Folk's U.S. rescore, but nothing has been said on Warbeck's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2012
    Is it not released? I was fortunate of listening to a concert of Warbeck on Tenerife last year. The cello piece done by his personal chellist was awesome.
  15. Nick Cooper was the cellist.

I'm surprised it didn't get a release. Seems about half of every thing he does each year goes unreleased. Which is still, on average, better than David Newman's chances.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2015