• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2010 edited
    I didn't know what else to call the topic.

Anyway, as some of you already know I love creating suites and listening to others do the same. I've created close to 100 suites each varying from one simple edit... like my Superman suite which simply combined "The Planet Krypton Theme" and the "March" to more complex edits like the examples below. I'm currently working on a new 2CD set compilation which contains some of my best suites to date. I encourage others who create suites to upload them for the rest of us to hear.

The first one I'm going to share with you is a suite from THE ROCKETEER that took two days to complete and is on my Fantasy and Adventures at the Movies compilation. Here is the art work http://www.dillusions.net/erik/cdcovers/fantasy3.jpg I had to listen to the entire ROCKETEER album before editing to find the perfect portions to use that would help bridge the gap between the “Main Title” music and “the Flying Circus” action track. Let me tell ya, this was no easy task. In this suite the main title transitions into a wonderful rendition of the bad guy motif which I absolutely love. This then moves into some interesting and high octane action material which really show cases Shawn Murphy’s awesome recording. The track picks up again with more action music as it finally segues seamlessly into “The Flying Circus”. Just when you think this track couldn't get any more kick ass, “The Flying Circus” takes this suite into the stratosphere. Since creating this suite it’s been one of the most played tracks in my entire collection.

THE ROCKETEER: SUITE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDrsdEQZ2sY

Next is RETURN TO NEVER LAND by Joel McNeely. A superb swashbuckling, thematically rich score that was a pretty easy score to cut down. I wanted to showcase McNeely's bold symphonic writing and colourful orchestrations. 5 cues were used; MAIN TITLE - FLIGHT THROUGH NEVER LAND - JANE SAVES TINK AND PAN - FLYING HOME - REUNION.

RETURN TO NEVER LAND: SUITE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qk6kXNePto

The next suite comes from Klaus Badelt's stunning epic score to THE PROMISE. This was a tough one because there was so much music I wanted to use but had to discard because they just didn't fit in with the flow of this particular suite. This suite took a lot of work. There are 6 cues in this suite... and one cue was cut right in the middle only to feature the first and last part of the cue; THE ROBE. The suite opens with PRINCESS KITE and then moves in order to FEATHER FIGHT - SNOW COUNTRY - THE ROBE - SAVING A PRINCESS and ends with the fanfare from GUILAND, THE ASSASSIN. This is one of Badelt's finest efforts.

THE PROMISE: SUITE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fOJ9aJX7wg

And finally the much talked about THE AVENGERS suite by Joel McNeely. I took a crack at this a few days ago it caused me nothing but trouble. I returned to it yesterday, added a few things here and there and rearranged the order of a few cues and viola... I surprise even myself some times. This actually plays rather well. The tracks included are the last few seconds of THE AVENGERS THEME (composed by Laurie Johnson) - MAIN TITLE - AVENGING CRIMES - EMMA'S BALLOON ESCAPE - FLIGHT OF THE MECHANICAL BEES - more from AVENGING CRIMES - CHASING TEDDY BEARS - and the final orchestral splash from FLIGHT OF THE MECHANICAL BEES.

THE AVENGERS: SUITE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZh3k4MxxwU

Just note... if the YouTube player gives you the option choose the highest resolution video. So instead of 360p select 480p. This will give you the best sound quality.

More to come...

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2010
    Wow, awesome work, Erik!

I'm listening to the PETER PAN thingie now, and I love it. I wish I had the skills and resources to make such suites. At best, I can now only create more or less random playlists! smile

I like the fact that you have thematic IDEAS behind your suites and that they are just not cobbled-together tracks in random order; that there is a kinda narrative within the suite.

thumbs <-- thumbs
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Very nice topic indeed, keep the useful material coming!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote

THE AVENGERS: SUITE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZh3k4MxxwU

Not the biggest fan of this score (it's a bit too "all-over-the-place" for me), but this suite really is kick-ass and an extremely good listen.
    Very well done indeed, Erik! cool
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Will be checking out your suites later Erik. Because I've already heard some in avant-premiere, everyone can take my word for it if I say Erik's suites are excellent. punk

I'll put up mine at some point too (for film and game).

Is Youtube preferred as opposed to a file-sharing site? If so I will share them via Youtube. I can tell it's more accessible that way (just click & listen). smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    The next suite comes from Klaus Badelt's stunning epic score to THE PROMISE. This was a tough one because there was so much music I wanted to use but had to discard because they just didn't fit in with the flow of this particular suite. This suite took a lot of work. There are 6 cues in this suite... and one cue was cut right in the middle only to feature the first and last part of the cue; THE ROBE. The suite opens with PRINCESS KITE and then moves in order to FEATHER FIGHT - SNOW COUNTRY - THE ROBE - SAVING A PRINCESS and ends with the fanfare from GUILAND, THE ASSASSIN. This is one of Badelt's finest efforts.

THE PROMISE: SUITE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fOJ9aJX7wg

-Erik-

punk Great suite Erikdezil! I agree by the way, one of Badelt´s finest efforts.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Along with NED KELLY, INVINCIBLE, SOLOMON KANE, RESCUE DAWN, K-19. The man has talent and as years go by his music matures even more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    I´m really happy for him (and for us) because there was a time in which it seemed he was gonna disappear under the dozens of MV clones.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap. The last 5 years have been very impressive regarding his output.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Before I launched the MovieScore Media label, I used to do this a lot. It was sort of a learning process before I went on to do this professionally on quite a lot of my albums. It IS really very fun to do this type of musical work. To make the edits seamless and make everything work together so that cuts are made where key and tempi matches.

Very good work on your suites, Erik!

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    DreamTheater wrote
    Is Youtube preferred as opposed to a file-sharing site? If so I will share them via Youtube. I can tell it's more accessible that way (just click & listen). smile

I prefer a file sharing site but that's just my opinion ... wink

FANTASTIC suites Erik !
    I especially loved The Rocketeer Suite and The Avengers Suite ... smile
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote

Depends if you prefer having to visit a web page to listen something in a reduced quality over having the actual file with the original quality that you can play anytime in your media player?

Anyway. Fantastic suites Erik! The Rocketeer suite is awesome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I made a Goldsmith Star Trek suite a few months back, but I done lost it. sad (I don't think it was very good anyway, but I tried.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The reason I went the YOUTUBE route is that I don't want this to turn into a public file sharing thread. If anyone is interested in listening to my compilations just PM me.

BTW, thanks for all the kind comments. What I try to do with these suites is to make them as flawless as possible... as if combining all of these tracks together WAS suppose to happen. As if these were created by the composer as a concert suite. I look for logical endings and clean outs. And if I can't find a clean out I do my best to add reverb or whatever I can to the track to make it flow as seamlessly from one track to another.

Ok... so what do you want to hear next?

THE PAGEMASTER: Suite
    BATMAN FOREVER: Suite
    THE KARATE KID PART I and II: Suite
    WARRIORS OF VIRTUE: Suite
    SKY CAPTAIN: Fantasy End Credits

And I hope others will contribute to this thread and maybe introduce me to a few scores that I've never heard before.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    The reason I went the YOUTUBE route is that I don't want this to turn into a public file sharing thread. If anyone is interested in listening to my compilations just PM me.

Yeah, I agree. (I probably should have mentioned that myself.)

...all of them? (But particularly the Warriors of Virtue suite.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote

BTW, thanks for all the kind comments. What I try to do with these suites is to make them as flawless as possible... as if combining all of these tracks together WAS suppose to happen. As if these were created by the composer as a concert suite. I look for logical endings and clean outs. And if I can't find a clean out I do my best to add reverb or whatever I can to the track to make it flow as seamlessly from one track to another.

And I hope others will contribute to this thread and maybe introduce me to a few scores that I've never heard before.

-Erik-

KARATE KID! The others I'm familiar with.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Erik (or anyone else), do you have a set of rules for doing these suites?

I'm thinking of things like having to what to keep in mind when going from one edit to the next. There's the straight switch from one edit to the next - but I assume that you need the rhythm of the two edits to "fit" - and do you need to keep in mind the key (or that sort of thing) between segments?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

KARATE KID! The others I'm familiar with.

Agreed! I'm particularly interested in the less well-known titles as summaries of what the score as a whole offers.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik (or anyone else), do you have a set of rules for doing these suites?

I'm thinking of things like having to what to keep in mind when going from one edit to the next. There's the straight switch from one edit to the next - but I assume that you need the rhythm of the two edits to "fit" - and do you need to keep in mind the key (or that sort of thing) between segments?

The main reason I do this is to bring all of my favorite highlights from a particular score into one nicely packaged and condensed suite. For instance, in the Rocketeer, I only wanted to hear the "Main Title" and "The Flying Circus" but not necessarily in their complete form. But in order to bridge the gab between those two (these two tracks alone wouldn't edit together seamlessly) I had to add in filler from other cues. Also, I keep in mind what a concert arrangement of any particular score might sound like. Again, The Rocketeer suite, IMHO, would be great to hear live in concert.

As for editing... like I wrote above... I'm always conscience of natural pauses or breaks in the music... or logical places to go from one cut to another. In my Avengers suite I tried my best to NOT present the entire Main Title cue but there wasn't any natural place to cut it so I included the WHOLE thing. As for the rest of the cues... there were natural breaks but I added a few cymbal crashes to disguise ugly edits. For instance, at 3:17 of The Avengers suite I added a splash of cymbals from the end of "Flight of the Mechanical Bees" to cover up the edit.

As for key... that does become tricky as well. The Rocketeer suite caused me some problems because of key changes and what not.

Basically, you have to be familiar with the score; that helps in the selection of cues but will also be an asset to help find small sections of the score to bridge the gap between one cue and another. My Pagemaster suite has a lot of cuts where I had to use a few seconds here and few seconds there to bridge the gaps between the two major cues I wanted to feature. I'll get that suite, The Karate Kid and Warriors of Virtue up later today.

I hope that answered your question, Alan.

-Erik-
  4. You sure do put a lot of work into it, Erik. I tend to rush and it doesn't always end as good as I hope, which I'm sure you'll agree on. beer

But of course, the question on everybody's mind is: will you be able to make a Raiders suite, without going over the 10 minute mark? You accomplish that and I think everybody will be in awe no matter the result.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    See.... Raiders already has a GREAT suite... The Raiders March. I don't think I can improve on that. I've heard other Raiders suites and they are chopped up to shit. I don't think I'll be taking a crack at a Raiders suite any time soon. However, I think I improved the Crystal Skull end credits by taking out Marion's Theme and inserting portions of The Jungle Chase.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I agree. Raiders is one of those scores I wouldn't want to hear in suite form, it's a score worth experiencing in full. However, Crystal Skull would be interesting to hear in suite form.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'll have a crack at Raiders sometime. The Ark Theme and maybe some of Desert Chase needs to go somewhere in there!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Next up is Don Davis' score to WARRIORS OF VIRTUE. WARRIORS OF VIRTUE was an interesting edit. It took some time to get it right but in the end it’s a very satisfying listen. The suite begins with the rousing “Bootleg Left” and calmly moves into the swashbuckling “Force of Nature” As that track ends it opened up the opportunity to add in a quick version of Tao's theme… very James Newton Howardish… which then segues into an action packed finale which ends perfectly with the call of Yun’s Fanfare. Enjoy

WARRIORS OF VIRTUE: SUITE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb4PnVYeJA0

Up next: The Karate Kid Part I and II Suite.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2010
    Here are two more to start the weekend.

THE PAGEMASTER proved to be one of the hardest edits of the bunch. This suite was part of my SWASHBUCKLING ADVENTURE compilation. The whole point of this suite was to add in the pirate styled music from “Towards the Open Sea…” and the action music from “Pirates.” I start and end the suite with the film’s main theme. The Main Theme ends with a nice edit and a bit of reverb which then segues into the “Towards the Open Sea” music. This music gives the piece the pirate feel. It plays for a few minutes until the 3:50 mark where “Pirates” begins with a splash of cymbals and playful French Horns. I make two more edits in just under a minute before I get to the meat of the “Pirates” action music. As the “Pirates” cue ends I segue into a heroic statement of the film main theme. This is a fun suite and I hope you don’t mind the edits.

THE PAGEMASTER: SUITE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHOmiGUsu6U

The last suite is from THE KARATE KID PART I and II. I love these two scores equally so I decided to combine my favorite moments and themes from each score in one suite. I open the suite off with the Main Title taiko drums from KKII. This moves into "Paint The Fence" from KKI which features Miyagi's theme. I then segues into "Training Hard." I cut "Training Hard" into two which gets to the meat of the cue which is the fantastic pan flute version of Daniel's Theme. This moves into "Daniel Leaves" from KKII which features an awesome rendition of the Love Theme. The love theme ends abruptly and we are thrown into the action packed "Daniel's Thriumph" from KKII which concluded with a spine-tingling counterpoint between the love theme and Miyagi's theme. This, IMHO, is a great suite! wink

THE KARATE KID PART I and II: SUITE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zwuSu4gTK8

Enjoy! Feedback always welcome.

What do you guys want to hear next?

-Erik-
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    I hope that answered your question, Alan.

-Erik-

It certainly did, Erik! Thanks for taking the time to reply in such detail.

I really appreciate the time and effort you've put into these suites.

I'm hoping to discover some new titles...
  6. Nice to know I am not the only one who was into this. I started out around 2000 when i got my first editing software. You can find some of my suites on youtube.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2010
    Absolutely loved the 'Return to Neverland' suite!
  7. markrayen wrote

I agree. Didn't know McNeely's gem actually, but it's worth getting by listening to this suite alone.

The Rocketeer ROCKS by the way. Amazing, I don't hear any sort of out of place cuts and so. It's all seamless. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2010
    DreamTheater wrote
    markrayen wrote

I agree. Didn't know McNeely's gem actually, but it's worth getting by listening to this suite alone.

The Rocketeer ROCKS by the way. Amazing, I don't hear any sort of out of place cuts and so. It's all seamless. punk

Thanks guys! I have a neat one for you guys coming up next... David Shire's SHORT CIRCUIT.

-Erik-