• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2010 edited
    Anyone own one of these? I'm seriously considering a purchase, because I'm fed up of not having anywhere to store all my books. I'm put off by the potential for it to give me a headache (do they?), not sure what happens to all the books I buy when it breaks or the next gadget replaces it (do I lose all the books I bought for it, or are they stored on my PC? - it looks like they get directly downloaded to the device via 3G) and the storage space (they quote 1,500 books but I wonder if it really is that many, based on the claims that are made about the number of albums you can get on an MP3 player).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2010
    I work for a major Dutch bookstore chain and as such, know a bit of these devices. And although I'm completely against them (they ruin the traditional joy of reading a book, turning the pages and all) there really are a few advantages.

To awnser the headache question; no, you won't get one from reading off it. The "ink technology" used is very easy on the eyes since there's not any light coming from the screen, as opposed to any other monitor. This it's very close to reading off a page. However, these things tend to be remarkably slow in loading documents, like books, or even in turning a page (mind you, I haven't had the Kindle in my hands yet).

As for the books, it basically works the same as iTunes/iPod, but I don't know how it works for the Kindle. Here, the books are in a format that can easily be stored on the computer, yet new technologies to prohibit illegal copying make sure you can store a book only a limited amount of times, so it depends...

Hope this is helpful? I can tell more later, now I'm off to sleep smile.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Can they only store e-books?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    So, apart music, the book is now being killed too?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2010 edited
    Thor wrote
    Can they only store e-books?

The Amazon one does (well, books and magazines and newspapers which you can get delivered every morning). Apple is meant to be bringing one out this week which will do a lot more, but be a lot more expensive, and I'm not interested anyway because I have a fundamental dislike of Apple products.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote

I don't imagine it will happen quickly. But unlike MP3s which are a clear step backwards from CDs in terms of audio, this one doesn't have any comparable problem. Obviously you won't be holding an actual book in your hand or displaying it on your shelf, so it's no good for old romantics or simple aesthetes, but the words are the same whether they're printed on paper of held in the device, so that's not quite the same as the CD vs MP3 thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    I have a fundamental dislike of Apple products.

What about appricot products?

Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I don't imagine it will happen quickly. But unlike MP3s which are a clear step backwards from CDs in terms of audio, this one doesn't have any comparable problem. Obviously you won't be holding an actual book in your hand or displaying it on your shelf, so it's no good for old romantics or simple aesthetes, but the words are the same whether they're printed on paper of held in the device, so that's not quite the same as the CD vs MP3 thing.

I have an asus eeepc 1005ha netbook, which is very light and small, compact. Why not view ebook pdf's on that instead? My point is that there already are such compact, light and relatively cheap netbook out there who do other stuff as well as reading pdf's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    I have an asus eeepc 1005ha netbook, which is very light and small, compact. Why not view ebook pdf's on that instead? My point is that there already are such compact, light and relatively cheap netbook out there who do other stuff as well as reading pdf's.

I was wondering about that, but I don't think you can actually buy that many titles in that format and I was worried if it was quite so light and genuinely portable - is it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It Is, check out asus brilliant eeepc series for characteristics such as dimensions, weights and all. Mine, the 1005ha, under certain conditions has a battery duration of 6 hours when fully charged! I take it everywhere with me, i have everything on it regarding my master's and the university works, i love it. As for ebooks...check your pm's wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    So here's the main reason I will not YET buy an Amazon Kindle, however much I think this is the way of the future:

1) for anything but black and white print, the Kindle (or any current ebook reader) is not adequate. Graphics and colours are still a long way away from being rendered sufficiently acceptable as to match "analog" books.

2) the current pricing for ebooks -at least in The Netherlands- is only marginally lower than a physical book. For me to break even on a Kindle I'd have to purchase about 16,000 books. dizzy

3) any material on a kindle remains managed by Amazon, witness the uproar last year with a certain edition of 1984 which hadn't been properly licensed and was consequentlye erased by Amazon from every single Kindle the minute it connected to the web.
    Of course punters got their money back, but still...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ebooks
    ...netbooks...
    those tiny laptops...whatever you want to call them, you know wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Huh? confused

Ebooks are electronic books. It's simply printed matter in electronic format. Most common is PDF. but CBR and TXT are pervasive as well. And I think Kindle has a proprietary format (although I'm not sure).
    Netbooks are those useful, brilliant, tiny laptops.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    You might want to hold off the purchase a few more days. This Wednesday, Apple is unveiling their newest device, which is supposedly a tablet pc dubbed the "iSlate" or "iTab" (we won't know until then). I'm definitely interested in what it actually is and can do, but I wouldn't want you to feel robbed just after you've ordered a Kindle.
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I don't think you'll actually feel "robbed": knowing Apple the iTab will look magnificent...and be about twice as expensive as its nearest competitor. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2010 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Huh? confused

Ebooks are electronic books. It's simply printed matter in electronic format. Most common is PDF. but CBR and TXT are pervasive as well. And I think Kindle has a proprietary format (although I'm not sure).

My wife wants to get a Kindle, but it's so expensive still. And I don't see the need for a 400 dollars 9.7" B&W text reader when her $300 10" netbook can do so much more. I can't wait until the price goes down to $200 to make it more tempting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2010
    lp wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Huh? confused

My wife wants to get a Kindle, but it's so expensive still. And I don't see the need for a 400 dollars 9.7" B&W text reader when her $300 10" netbook can do so much more. I can't wait until the price goes down to $200 to make it more tempting.

Exactly my point. Martijn, you can load your pdf's in tiny netbooks which cost less and can do so much more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I am way too old-fashioned for these things: I love when a book consists of paper and I can turn the actual pages and put it on the shelf after reading.
    It's the same with mp3: I cannot fully enjoy the music if it's not on CD - I always feel the absence of something.
    But, of course I can see the point of these things as well. For example if I want to travel and would like to read more than just one book during that time, these e-books, netbooks are very convenient.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    lp wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Huh? confused

Exactly my point. Martijn, you can load your pdf's in tiny netbooks which cost less and can do so much more.

Although I agree getting a netbook would be better, Kindle's main selling point is the look of the screen. It's specifically designed to imitate a book. I think it has 3G wireless, too?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    lp wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Huh? confused

Although I agree getting a netbook would be better, Kindle's main selling point is the look of the screen. It's specifically designed to imitate a book. I think it has 3G wireless, too?

Yes, it does. The lack of backlighting is meant to reduce potential for headaches, which is a big selling point for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    I think it has 3G wireless, too?

Yes it does, and it's resolution is MANY times that of a laptop or netbook: it really approaches physical books in the sense that your brain no longer registers it's watching a screen rather than a page. Don't know about you guys, but I could easily read a book for eight hours, but having to read -read! Not work!- from a screen will have me vomiting from headache within two hours!

So I see a big difference in appliance.
    I would very much like a netbook AND an e-book reader,a s both are extremely handy in their own right.
    Now to first win the lottery....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

Yes it does, and it's resolution is MANY times that of a laptop or netbook: it really approaches physical books in the sense that your brain no longer registers it's watching a screen rather than a page. Don't know about you guys, but I could easily read a book for eight hours, but having to read -read! Not work!- from a screen will have me vomiting from headache within two hours!

Same here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think the Kindle is a great little product. I won't get one simply because of the price, but when they start becoming a little cheaper I'll no doubt get one. It's not a replacement for the printed page, it's just a handy addition!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

So I see a big difference in appliance.
    I would very much like a netbook AND an e-book reader,a s both are extremely handy in their own right.
    Now to first win the lottery....

Nothing beats a physical book, of course smile

Steven wrote
    I think the Kindle is a great little product. I won't get one simply because of the price, but when they start becoming a little cheaper I'll no doubt get one. It's not a replacement for the printed page, it's just a handy addition!

It's certainly a good try to bring the general masses closer to reading, which is always a nice development, if it happens eventually and gets out to the general public in affordable prices.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I don't think the Kindle is necessarily about bringing the 'general masses closer to reading'. It's probably more aimed at those who already read lots of books in the first place. And for those who don't usually read, I don't think the price tag on the Kindle is going to convince them to start. Still, when it becomes cheaper, then I certainly hope it does get more people reading.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, the price will get down. And if it succeeds as a trend, more and more people who didn't read books before will get it, just like it happened with cheap laptops / netbooks, everyone has one now. Now, if they'll eventually use it and actually read books, that's another matter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    If it goes down in price considerably, I'll get one myself. It could never replace the printed book for me, but it looks like a handy little gadget... when the price goes down.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    If in what you just wrote, you replace "book" with "cd" and "kindle" with "mp3", you'll understand my theory about its potential success! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oh I understand its potential success. A device that looks like a printed page and can download just about anything in a matter of seconds? It sells itself. The only thing holding it back at the moment is the price. Once competitors start entering the market, I'm sure we'll start to see a trend towards more of these Kindle-like products. (Newspapers will no doubt get in on the action.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    I'm incredibly interested in one of those Tablet now. It's the next step in the personalization evolution of PC laptop ideal. Small, portable, light, uncomplicated. Though no Apple for me. Our last two apple laptops failed and I'm looking for another repeat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    If in what you just wrote, you replace "book" with "cd" and "kindle" with "mp3", you'll understand my theory about its potential success! wink

Except, as I said above, the MP3 is worse than a CD whereas a book is not worse on the Kindle than, well, in a book (unless it has pictures, of course).

The attraction for me is simply the convenience - going away on holiday for two weeks without taking up so much room with books in my bags (I read a LOT), and not having to find so much room around the house for them all.