• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2010
    Very witty. I've never heard that expression, so I have no idea what you're talking about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Oh and i love how he opened his speech with a reference about how cool small netbooks are, but they can't do everything...Well, unless i am mistaken, the iPad has a mere 1Ghz single processor and costs a shitload. My asus netbook cost me 300 euros and it has an intel dual core processor at 1.6Ghz. Again, cool gadget for sure, and the screen looks amazing (although gigantic, you can't really fit that in the pocket wink ) but the price compared to what it actually offers on the hardware side of things, is ridiculously high.

Yeah, I did find that a little odd myself. Still, I was quite impressed by what this little thing has to offer, particularly the games and the actual game play itself. That's a selling point for me!

It certainly looks like it has the ability to work great. And surely, apple have an advantage over Screens...their quality is oustanding, even iPhone's. It's a bit gigantic though, i don't know where you'll carry that and it's not exactly something you can put out and have privacy with what you're viewing / doing, but still i have to admit it's an incredibly good looking and very interesting gadget. I am too tempted, as with the iPhone, i really want to get one some day (not apple computers though, there's simply no reason for those anymore and since intel bought them, you're getting an identical pc setup with - say Mac pro, for 2000 euros less) but i simply find the prices they ask for incredibly high, underestimating my i.q. If they were at (i am not asking cheap, but at least) normal prices, i'd have surely got myself an iphone 'till now and i'd be seriously considering a 2nd generation iPad too.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    In any case what's you're paying with iPad, is:

1. the gigantic, crystal-clear screen. It might look not so charming and you'll have some difficulties having privacy with your work in such screen, but still something as big and as crystal clear as that, costs money.
    2. the touch screen functions
    3. the "wii"-like movement functions of the hand - data content
    4. the incredible o.s and their software which seems to deliver great looking graphics (and supposedly stable) with minimum hardware specifications (although it's strongly debatable)
    5. the brand name
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm as realistic as you when it comes to Apple. They are over priced... but I truly am a sucker for a good looking gadgets! shame

It'll be a while until I get one though, by which time there might be others on the market which I would prefer (but I doubt it - I'm a sucker for Apple products).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2010 edited
    Everyone who buys this, is completely nuts or has too much money and doesn't want to spend it to useful things, and should give it away to people who will use the money for useful things.

There's no multitasking (OMG!!!!)
    Seriously, that's like ... Windows 1 or so. Shouldn't even be called a computer.

No USB (WTF!!!!)
    No connectivity.

And best off all
    Again, the App Store. Paying for every possible application (that might be useful). Lucky there's the web too.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    And in the mean time, jokes all over the place:
    http://jezebel.com/5458338/that-time-of … ipad-jokes

Don't you just love the internet? biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No multitasking? Do you mean opening more than one application at a time? Yeah, I did wonder about that. That's where it probably hides its lack of processing power by only allowing you to use one thing at a time.

But I don't think it's that silly buying one if you can afford it. It's a nice little gadget with some pretty cool features. Far too expensive for what it does, granted, but it's not bad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And it's not a "little" gadget. With the iPhone, really i think iPad's existence is simply excessive. Does it do anything that iPhone doesn't? No, actually it does less. Way less.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I wouldn't say way less. It comes in 3G models, so the only thing I think the iPhone has over the iPad is, well, firstly the obvious; phone calls. The second is the camera. But it has other apps that you wouldn't want to use on an iPhones either, like iWork and the book reader thing. It also looks set to be a better gaming device than the iPhone. So it just depends on what you want for your money. This will not be suited to nearly as many people as the iPhone is admittedly, but it still has other things going for it and is a unique product on the market which should hopefully set a new trend for the new decade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    iPhone has more, plus it's a phone. Does iPad have speaker output / earphone's jack btw? I missed that part. In any case, iPhone has more and it's way more portable. And smart. Damn i want one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Has anyone seen Apple's new iPad commercial?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFNQE_Tz … r_embedded

The guy in charge of naming this thing should be shot!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    iPhone has more, plus it's a phone. Does iPad have speaker output / earphone's jack btw? I missed that part. In any case, iPhone has more and it's way more portable. And smart. Damn i want one.

Yep, it has those.

Again, it depends on what YOU want it for. There are advantages and disadvantages with both products. The iPad does certain things better than an iPhone. An iPhone does certain things better than an iPad. In your case, you're clearly better off with an iPhone. Others may prefer the iPad. Or both. (And as I said, I'm not sure the market for the iPad is quite as big as the iPhone, but I'm sure it will be successful nonetheless, particularly amongst business executives and "important" people like that.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    applause
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Are we sure it's not a spoof? It's dated July 25, 2006. They can't be serious with that ad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think we, and Erik, are pretty sure it's a spoof. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Are we sure it's not a spoof? It's dated July 25, 2006. They can't be serious with that ad.

That's a skit from MadTV. A skit aired around the time of the iPod boom! You'd think that executive's at Apple would have thrown up some sort of red flag when whomever suggested the name iPad. I think everyone was waiting for tampon related jokes to start flying around the internet when the name was announced. I just think it's hilarious that MadTV came up with it first... years before the announcement.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Has anyone seen Apple's new iPad commercial?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFNQE_Tz … r_embedded

The guy in charge of name this thing should be shot!

-Erik-

Very good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

That's a skit from MadTV. A skit aired around the time of the iPod boom! You'd think that executive's at Apple would have thrown up some sort of red flag when whomever suggested the name iPad. I think everyone was waiting for tampon related jokes to start flying around the internet when the name was announced. I just think it's hilarious that MadTV came up with it first... years before the announcement.

-Erik-

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Yep, it has those.

Again, it depends on what YOU want it for. There are advantages and disadvantages with both products. The iPad does certain things better than an iPhone. An iPhone does certain things better than an iPad. In your case, you're clearly better off with an iPhone. Others may prefer the iPad. Or both. (And as I said, I'm not sure the market for the iPad is quite as big as the iPhone, but I'm sure it will be successful nonetheless, particularly amongst business executives and "important" people like that.)

People like me, perhaps. I have no idea why anyone would want an iPhone but this product is more appealing to me. I'll wait for Microsoft to make a significantly better, significantly cheaper one like they usually do, but of course everyone will rip that apart (and admittedly it won't look as nice).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Yep, it has those.

People like me, perhaps. I have no idea why anyone would want an iPhone but this product is more appealing to me. I'll wait for Microsoft to make a significantly better, significantly cheaper one like they usually do, but of course everyone will rip that apart (and admittedly it won't look as nice).

Why? Because it does everything iPad does, plus it's a phone AND it's portable. Why does it appeal more to you? 'Cause of the big screen?

I just watched the spoof, it's hilarious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Why? Because it does everything iPad does, plus it's a phone AND it's portable. Why does it appeal more to you? 'Cause of the big screen?

It's too small. I can't understand why anyone would want to use a device that size for something other than making phone calls or sending text messages. People have been taken in by the hype. ("Look at this great app I bought! It tells me how many calories there are in anything if I just scan the barcode." "Couldn't you just look on the packet, given every item of foodstuff has to say how many calories are in it?" "What's the point of doing that?")
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, i used to thought of that too, until i used one. The clarity of the screen is amazing, and its size is sufficient for all the uses you can do with it. It's not just a phone, it's a whole agenda, especially for someone who's constantly outside, at the uni and at work, and need to take notes, save txt and doc files, save and transfer files, ebooks, music, software, etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well, i used to thought of that too, until i used one. The clarity of the screen is amazing, and its size is sufficient for all the uses you can do with it.

But the iPad is a bigger screen and therefore is better for internet browsing, eBooks, iWork applications, and games. You have to keep in mind that a big touch screen will inherently have certain advantages over the iPhone, whereas the iPhones has advantages because of its size and easier portability. As I said, the iPhone just happens to suit YOU more than the iPad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I want to see you carrying that stuff around, you can't really hide it anywhere, nor really isolate what you're doing on the screen from everyone else seeing it too, unless you always stand back to back with big walls or something smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well, i used to thought of that too, until i used one. The clarity of the screen is amazing, and its size is sufficient for all the uses you can do with it. It's not just a phone, it's a whole agenda, especially for someone who's constantly outside, at the uni and at work, and need to take notes, save txt and doc files, save and transfer files, ebooks, music, software, etc.

But couldn't you use a little USB flash drive to do all that, at considerably less expense?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    I want to see you carrying that stuff around, you can't really hide it anywhere, nor really isolate what you're doing on the screen from everyone else seeing it too, unless you always stand back to back with big walls or something smile

dizzy

You're missing the point though: the iPad isn't designed to be a replacement for the iPhone. It's clearly not meant to be a "fit in your pocket" device. It's more like a laptop without the keyboard. It's a netbook replacement, not an iPhone replacement. Its primary uses are different to that of an iPhone.

This is something you are primarily going to use at home or at work, it's not something designed for you to carry around everywhere in your pocket.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Sure the iPad looks cool, but I can't think of any reason I'd want a $400 device to browse the internet when I'm already sat on my sofa doing it on my PC + TV.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Sure the iPad looks cool, but I can't think of any reason I'd want a $400 device to browse the internet when I'm already sat on my sofa doing it on my PC + TV.

Neither can I to be honest. But if I can get one a bit cheaper, and second gen model when it's released, I'll be very tempted. Just because it's a cool (but ultimately, for me, pointless) gadget.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

But couldn't you use a little USB flash drive to do all that, at considerably less expense?

No, 'cause you also need to carry a computer with you all the time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

No, 'cause you also need to carry a computer with you all the time.

Why? If all you're doing is transferring files from somewhere else then you don't.