• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2010
    To start off the new thread I'm spinning...

NP: Quo Vadis - Miklos Rozsa
    The Royal Philharmonic conducted by the composer

Out of the three big choral epics - Ben Hur, King of Kings and Quo Vadis - this is the one that I'm sadly unfamiliar with. This recording opens with the "Prelude" - an orchestral/choral stunner - and moves right into the drama with classic Rozsa orchestrations and themes. An excellent score and a very good recording. This album is coupled with Ben Hur also conducted by Rozsa but performed by the National Philharmonic. A great album!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ah! The Dutton-Vocalion rerelease of the Decca classics I have been raving about many times!
    Good to see someone else got it and appreciated it as much as I do! smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Ah! The Dutton-Vocalion rerelease of the Decca classics I have been raving about many times!

This was the very first Rozsa I ever owned on LP. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2010 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

This was the very first Rozsa I ever owned on LP. cool

It's f__king superb! I can't wait to get my hands on the Rozsa Box to compare the OST to this re-recording but as of right now (I'm only half way through the album) I'm putting this re-recording near the top of the best re-recordings of all time.

Excellent sonics and spirited performances.

-Erik-

"Chariot Chase" = punk That's one bad ass action cue! It now lives in "My Favorites" playlist!
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    punk beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Henry V - Patrick Doyle

This and Hamlet are my two favorite Shakespearean scores from Mr. Doyle.
    • CommentAuthoradam
    Angelo Badalamenti - Blue Velvet. Beautiful.
  1. Fracture (Chris Tilton & Chad Seiter)

Well a promo of this videogame soundtrack seems to floating around on the internet, putting that overlong and dreadfully assembled gamerip to shame. Hearing it like it would be officially released is a real godsend, as this is basically Tilton & Seiter brilliantly imitating their mentor Giacchino during his glorious Medal of Honor days. The action is plenty and superb, also thanks due to the masterful mixing and recording of the score, it always remains a pleasure to listen to. Over an hour long there are tons of great themes and exciting rhythms to be heard. Truly awesome stuff and it would be an insult to the talented composers if this remained unreleased. Especially if you see what crap gets a release in the blink of an eye nowadays.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote

You've inspired me.

One of the greatest film music debuts of all time! "Opening Title: O! For a Muse of Fire" is an incredible track written underneath dialogue. It propels the prologue forward, enhances Shakespeare's brilliant words and Sir Derek Jacobi's inspired speech! Awesome, awesome scoring and brilliant film making!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    keky wrote
    My Dog Skip - William Ross

When I listen to this highly melodic, lyrical score I don't understand why Ross doesn't get more opportunities with mainstream movies. He has such a talent to write amazing melodies.

Oh, thank you!

Listen to ADRIAN JOHNSTON too, it's like a more serious and "British" sounding McKenzie. Great stuff as well as the rest of Ross' work, really.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Christodoulides wrote
    keky wrote
    My Dog Skip - William Ross

When I listen to this highly melodic, lyrical score I don't understand why Ross doesn't get more opportunities with mainstream movies. He has such a talent to write amazing melodies.

Oh, thank you!

Listen to ADRIAN JOHNSTON too, it's like a more serious and "British" sounding McKenzie. Great stuff as well as the rest of Ross' work, really.

Especially September Dawn, it's perhaps his most sentimental and melodic score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Steven wrote
    I think as a film score, it's impossible to fault. But as an album, I guess -themes aside- it's not for everyone. Definitely the type of score I love though, one of my favourites.

Agreed. It's surely one of the greatest film scores ever composed. But solely as a listening experience, not so much. To me, mickey mousing on album always seems like alot of unfulfilling and incomplete fragments edited together at random. Of course when you watch the movie, you realize it's not random, but random is how it appears when you listen to it as an album outside of its intended context. I love Mickey mousing in movies, on albums I find it almost unlistenable.

Peter smile

Mickey mousing should be banned from music.

Wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Of, Mick'off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote

You've inspired me.

One of the greatest film music debuts of all time! "Opening Title: O! For a Muse of Fire" is an incredible track written underneath dialogue. It propels the prologue forward, enhances Shakespeare's brilliant words and Sir Derek Jacobi's inspired speech! Awesome, awesome scoring and brilliant film making!

-Erik-

Yes!!! YES!!!!! Completely! Only in Hamlet was Doyle able to match and exceed his mastery of underscoring the poetic words of Shakespeare.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Steven wrote
    I think as a film score, it's impossible to fault. But as an album, I guess -themes aside- it's not for everyone. Definitely the type of score I love though, one of my favourites.

Agreed. It's surely one of the greatest film scores ever composed. But solely as a listening experience, not so much. To me, mickey mousing on album always seems like alot of unfulfilling and incomplete fragments edited together at random. Of course when you watch the movie, you realize it's not random, but random is how it appears when you listen to it as an album outside of its intended context. I love Mickey mousing in movies, on albums I find it almost unlistenable.

Peter smile

Wrong.

Ditto! Mickey mousing is part of the film music fabric and has been associated with film music since its earliest years. Unfortunately, it's has become a lost and forgotten skill. I agree that if done improperly it's can be grating and distracting BUT if done properly by a composer who has practiced and honed the skill it becomes an essential device that can be used most effectively when called for.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Steven wrote

Peter smile

Wrong.

Ditto! Mickey mousing is part of the film music fabric and has been associated with film music since its earliest years. Unfortunately, it's has become a lost and forgotten skill. I agree that if done improperly it's can be grating and distracting BUT if done properly by a composer who has practiced and honed the skill it becomes an essential device that can be used most effectively when called for.

-Erik-

I don't disagree with you, the slightest. Thing is that rarely do composer anymore use it in musically adequate and meaningful ways, most people today are resorting to it as a draft and easy solution, something which if mickey mousing is characterized by, it'll fail. It takes skill to write proper music via using such a technique and very few have mastered it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Fracture (Chris Tilton & Chad Seiter)

The action is plenty and superb, also thanks due to the masterful mixing and recording of the score, it always remains a pleasure to listen to.

You've got two of the best in the business at work here. Peter Fuchs (recording engineer) and Steve Smith (mixer.) An incredible engineering team who have created a work of art with the sound of this score!

-Erik-
  2. Loving Doyle from that period, I really should give Hamlet a listen, I remember long ago not being particularly overwhelmed by it, not like Henry V.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    DreamTheater wrote
    Loving Doyle from that period, I really should give Hamlet a listen, I remember long ago not being particularly overwhelmed by it, not like Henry V.

I used to read Hamlet while listening to the album. It's an experience.
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

The action is plenty and superb, also thanks due to the masterful mixing and recording of the score, it always remains a pleasure to listen to.

You've got two of the best in the business at work here. Peter Fuchs (recording engineer) and Steve Smith (mixer.) An incredible engineering team who have created a work of art with the sound of this score!

-Erik-

If only Star Trek or Avatar had those guys for the recording and mixing. slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : JUDGE DREDD - Alan Silvestri

One of my favourite Silvestri scores, big, muscular, in yer face scoring! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

-Erik-

If only Star Trek or Avatar had those guys for the recording and mixing. slant

Indeed!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Timmer wrote

I may get a weird look, but the score actually makes me like the movie just a little more. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

I may get a weird look, but the score actually makes me like the movie just a little more. smile

Not from me, buddy. punk The music made the movie good, for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

I totally get what you are saying. I'm the same with CutThroat Island (I actually like the movie.) I will flip on that film pretty much to hear Debney's score with the vis. ID4 and Godzilla are other examples where I want to watch the movies for the score (but I enjoy those two guilty pleasures as well.)

-Erik-
  4. Holy shit, are you my long lost brother or something? punk

I always enjoys those movies you mentioned, not only because of their brilliant music, but they have that element of fun that seems to get so rare these days. Godzilla is a dumb blockbuster but at least it's huge fun. I don't remember having that much fun with The Dark Knight (the boring score does nothing for me either).
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    The Descent Part 2 - David Julyan

My first listen ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote

I'm listening to this, too, and all I have to say is... GO, GO, GO!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

It's a terrible movie but watchable in a goofy way or at least leaving it playing in the background to soak up the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:District 9

Who said it was a mind blowing synth score?

it's a synth score, with every single cliché of this kind of music. new age vocals, metallic percusion, etc...

Boring!