• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2010
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:LOST (Giacchino)

1 day , dude!!!!

I know! How is this possible? It seems like a month away still.

Time paradoxes, that's my theory.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Miya wrote
    NP: Koro's Big Day Out - Yuji Nomi

Small but lovely, like the puppy on the booklet.

Careful, you'll give Demetris the wrong idea.

D. is small and lovely? shocked
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : HOFFA - David Newman

A fine orchestral score, nothing that really stands out but I'm still pleased to have it and at only a quid ( £1 ) I can hardly complain.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Broken Arrow - Hans Zimmer

Good album to listen to. I remember it being mixed horribly low in the movie, with only a few standout cues. The excellent treatment of the "Tragic Brotherhood" theme for the main title was one of them, and it's one of my all time favorite Zimmer theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2010 edited
    IMAGINARIUM OF DOCTOR PARNASSUS | jeff and mychael danna

Such a beautiful score. Not only is Tango Amongst the Lilies a fantastic track title, it's also one of the highlights of the score. The way the second part of the piece with the violin (?) and accordion is mighty! The tongue-in-cheek atmosphere, the odd choir-like moment, ... Cool!

Here's some full clips on the official website
    http://music.lionsgate.com/parnassus/
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE UNTOUCHABLES - Ennio Morricone

Fantastic!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : UNBREAKABLE - James Newton Howard

Vaughan Williams is alive and well in this score. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Blue Max (Intrada) Jerry Goldsmith

Such a brilliant score, it's a shame the sound quality is still poor. sad

I would love to hear a rerecording, it more than deserves it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    The Blue Max (Intrada) Jerry Goldsmith

Such a brilliant score, it's a shame the sound quality is still poor. sad

I would love to hear a rerecording, it more than deserves it.

A re-recording? And Yeap! I would buy it again. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm on my second listen. I'd never realised just how rich this score was!? It's brilliant. A rerecording has just become another Holy Grail for me.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2010 edited
    Steven wrote
    I'm on my second listen. I'd never realised just how rich this score was!? It's brilliant. A rerecording has just become another Holy Grail for me.

Now you know why it's never been away from my NP's for too long.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Timmer wrote
    NP : UNBREAKABLE - James Newton Howard

Vaughan Williams is alive and well in this score. cool

I love Unbreakable. And I adore Vaughan Williams.
    But I've never connected the two.
    Which piece sounds like what?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No particular piece I'd say, it's the style that's reminiscent of Vaughan Williams. It's the sting writing that mostly does it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I can hear what you mean now that I think about it.
    The tone and harmonics in the strings etc.
  1. And beautiful string writing it is. Each time that string section grows in "The Wreck", it just simply gets more amazingly beautiful than it was seconds ago.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2010
    Steven wrote
    No particular piece I'd say, it's the style that's reminiscent of Vaughan Williams. It's the sting writing that mostly does it.

Exactly what Steven said. I also have an interview with JNH in an old issue of Soundtrack magazine where he talks about Vaughan Williams being the influence in his Unbreakable score.

Like John Williams he evokes RVW rather than imitates.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2010 edited
    NP:The Blue Max (Goldsmith)

Wow....The main theme is highly addictive, and very contemporany!

A kick Ass score! i can't believe it's one of Goldsmith earlier works.

"the attack" punk punk punk

"the Bridge" 2:00 minute mark....Do you notice what sounds like? dizzy dizzy Anthony????
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    justin boggan wrote
    And beautiful string writing it is. Each time that string section grows in "The Wreck", it just simply gets more amazingly beautiful than it was seconds ago.

Great score, very emotional and works wonders in the film.

Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Exactly what Steven said. I also have an interview with JNH in an old issue of Soundtrack magazine where he talks about Vaughan Williams being the influence in his Unbreakable score.

Like John Williams he evokes RVW rather than imitates.

beer
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Nautilus wrote
    "the Bridge" 2:00 minute mark....Do you notice what sounds like? dizzy dizzy Anthony????

This is sort of the problem with Giacchino. It's also the good thing, depending on your point of view.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Apollo 13 - James Horner

Houston, we have a problem...

There are dialogues all over the place.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Miya wrote

I get the film music fan's equivalent of being shot in the head for saying this, but I actually like some of the dialogue pieces. The "check list" before 'The Launch' I think works quite well - it's not as though the dialogue is playing throughout the music, but rather sets up the cue quite nicely. I like that! I also like the "it's been an honour and a privilege..." just before Horner's music flares up. (If the dialogue was placed over the music, then I'd have a different opinion. But as it is, those two examples work as introductions to the cues.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Well it was my first listen on album so I was startled.

I like those dialogues too actually, especially the launch scene, but if I want to hear dialogues I will buy DVD... and I prefer hearing those voices with pictures of that great scene. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Miya wrote
    ..but if I want to hear dialogues I will buy DVD... and I prefer hearing those voices with pictures of that great scene. cool

True, and that's what most people say to me; "Why don't you just watch the film if you want to hear the dialogue?" But it's not really the same. The dialogue pieces introduce the cues, it's purely musical from thereon. Watching the film each time I want to get that kind of experience wouldn't prove particularly practical, especially if I want to listen to it when I'm walking down the street, in a lecture (I do that quite often) or on my bike! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I agree, the dialogues in Apollo 13 are not so annoying, because they are before the music and not on the music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Well, it's a great score anyway! smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Miya wrote

I get the film music fan's equivalent of being shot in the head for saying this, but I actually like some of the dialogue pieces. The "check list" before 'The Launch' I think works quite well - it's not as though the dialogue is playing throughout the music, but rather sets up the cue quite nicely. I like that! I also like the "it's been an honour and a privilege..." just before Horner's music flares up. (If the dialogue was placed over the music, then I'd have a different opinion. But as it is, those two examples work as introductions to the cues.)

I agree with you, it's a great album and I like the inclusion of pop standards of the era. Of course, it also helps a lot if you have the promo with extra music and no dialogue. wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote

No? What does it sound like? Where's Koko when you need him!?
  3. Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Miya wrote

I agree with you, it's a great album and I like the inclusion of pop standards of the era. Of course, it also helps a lot if you have the promo with extra music and no dialogue. wink

I don't find me returning to the album anymore since having the score only release. But that's understandable, I've sold it long ago. Just the score will do nicely for me.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: The Fifth Element - Eric Serra

Great score for the movie. The album can be a bit of a chore to listen to, but the themes for Leeloo/Fifth Element, when they appear, are worth it. I think Mr. Serra could do great business working in Japan on anime productions, where his multi-ethnic scoring approach would be wondrous. Similar to the Yoko Kanno approach.
  4. lp wrote
    NP: The Fifth Element - Eric Serra

Great score for the movie. The album can be a bit of a chore to listen to, but the themes for Leeloo/Fifth Element, when they appear, are worth it. I think Mr. Serra could do great business working in Japan on anime productions, where his multi-ethnic scoring approach would be wondrous. Similar to the Yoko Kanno approach.

Not a score I would buy, but I like the music when I watch the film, Serra's or not. It complements the less than serious tone and slightly kitschy art design of the film very well.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.