• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2010
    NP: Carl Davis: The World At War, Pride And Prejudice And Other Great Themes -
    Carl Davis conducts the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

A stunning compilation of themes composed by the often forgotten Carl Davis. The album includes themes from The World At War, Pride and Prejudice and the much sought-after theme from the film Champions. A splendid album with brilliant sonics! Check it out if you can!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2010 edited
    NP: The Blue Max (Complete) - Jerry Goldsmith

What. A. Score! The Blue Max has been one of my all time favorites since hearing the suite presentation on the rare Masters Film Music album Suites & Themes and once I heard the Columbia/Legacy release I was hooked!

Now, this complete presentation is nothing short of a miracle. The score was recorded in 1966 and I'm surprised at how great it sounds. Sure, there are flutters, some tape hiss, etc but this is the best the original soundtrack recording has ever sounded.

As for the score itself, Goldsmith didn't waste one note when writing it. From start to finish this is one exciting and incredibly well written score. The wind machine, for instance, heard during the opening theme is a master stroke. Leave it up to Goldsmith to employ such a device in a film score. The love theme is beautiful and the action material, IMHO, is up there with some of the best he ever wrote. "The Attack" will blow you away! This is one Goldsmith's finest scores and I'm so happy that I got a copy before it sold out.

Actually, I'm rather surprised that this album didn't received a larger pressing. It's widely considered one of Goldsmith's finest scores and the with the history of limited edition Goldsmith scores going OOP fast - even at the 3000 copies level - I'm shocked that Intrada was only able to snag a 2500 copy deal.

Anyway, I hope those that wanted this album got it! IMHO, it's a Top 5 Goldsmith score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Very glad to hear the sound is great. I'm looking forward to hearing 'The Retreat' in better sound.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I only just missed out on it! It went way too fast. It's heartbreaking as I so dearly love this score!
    Glad you guys got it though. It's a Goldsmith classic!
  2. Atham wrote
    I only just missed out on it! It went way too fast. It's heartbreaking as I so dearly love this score!
    Glad you guys got it though. It's a Goldsmith classic!

A damn shame when the real score fans are left out of what is considered to be such a very wanted piece of music. sad

Because you can bet your money that a lot of copies went to people just wanting to sell it on ebay. crazy

Uhmmm... I got a second copy of Innerspace as well because the first has gone missing, but that was only after it went sold-out. tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. The Golden Compass (Jamie Christopherson)

Some selections from the videogame score, and rather nice they are too. I've never heard the film score, so I can't compare but some of the music written for the game is very good indeed, with enough lovely themes to satisfy me. I'm listening to my own playlist, to make for a much better listen than the whole soundtrack / gamerip definitely is.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    The Scarlet and the Black - Ennio Morricone

Thanks to plindboe, I can listen to this score now. It's very good, in my opinion. There are melodic and raw parts and the latter are also very good, mostly accompanied by an organ.
    It's high time for a proper CD release!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Happy you like it, keky!

Not one of my favourite scores, but the tracks "Memories of Rome" and "Francesca's departure" are pure nostalgia.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Sherlock Holmes - Hans Zimmer

I like this score. I love the orchestration, the overall sound of it - and also the melodies. It's so much better than Angels and Demons. It's good that Zimmer finished 2009 with such a fun score.
  4. Hans Zimmer - Driving Miss Daisy

A largely forgotten Hans Zimmer score, largely melodic and has a wonderful charm and atmosphere to it. It also wonderfully works in the movie, basically almost making the movie what it is.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:The Ring (zimmer)

Why I found this score so great???
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Beats me!? rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I just finished with FSM's Islands in the Stream. I think the original recording is tighter and so are the performances but I think what Intrada did with their recording was splendid as well. Anyway, it's great to hear the action music that wasn't on the Intrada release. I know can see why Goldsmith's considered this is personal favorite. He got great use out of that main theme... it's everywhere; either hinting at the theme subtlety under everything or out in the open with a straight forward presentation! A wonderful score and a wonderful release. I've now moved onto...

NP: Tai-Pan - Maurice Jarre

My favorite Jarre score. Some would say this is a standard Jarre effort but I getting more out of this score then I do out of any other Jarre effort including the classics like Lawrence of Arabia, Dr. Zhivago, etc.

Coming up next... Christopher Young's The Core and Joel Goldsmith' Kull the Conqueror. I'm in an epic, in your face, louder than hell mood! It's getting me geared up for my ball hockey game tonight. wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Erik Woods wrote
    Coming up next... Christopher Young's The Core

Looking forward to this! I love that score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:The Ring (zimmer)

Why I found this score so great???

I don't think it's a great score, but it was more than effective in the movie. I love how it was all strings operating in the lower register, creating a dark rumbling sense of uneasiness, and marries itself so well to the Seattle setting.
  5. What does it have to do with Seattle?
  6. Musically, that is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Musically, that is.

The sound, that Hans came up with, fits the cinematography of rainy gloomy Seattle very well. And mood is one of the key aspect of the overall effectiveness of The Ring.
  7. Yes, I do believe that this is one of his most effective film scores. And the end credits is one of his career highlights.
  8. LSH wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Why? is this going to be released? Now it's only a boot right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Shit, I wasn't paying attention - I thought Erik was talking about his suites! Nevermind. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    DreamTheater wrote
    LSH wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

The Core was released as a 2disc set.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    LSH wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Released as a PROMO through Intrada.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    LSH wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Okay. It was "released". Intrada is as legit as any other record company.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    LSH wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Reminds me that Chris Young personally paid for it to be sent out to those who ordered The Tower (first Intrada Signature Edition, back whenever it was). What a nice guy!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2010
    LSH wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Indeed, what a powerhouse action score, at parts it's massive! And in general terms, hugely entertaining.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  9. "The Red Canvas" (James Peterson)

Trying to get to know the score a little better, despite already liking a lot. If you've not heard it, do yourself a favor and check out the samples before this limited edition sells out.

The review:
    http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/the-red-canvas/
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  10. Shit I bought this and I still have to listen to it. I just can't seem to find the time. I'll listen to Red Canvas tomorrow, promised !! smile
  11. What'll you give us should you fudge on that? tongue
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2010
    ANGELS & DEMONS - HANS ZIMMER

Simply the best. Score of the year. punk
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.