• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2010 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    What'll you give us should you fudge on that? tongue

Fudging? What's that ?

The Red Canvas (James Peterson)

Themes (or its absence) can make or break a score. Luckily The Red Canvas has two very strong themes, and the potent action writing is actually some of the best I've heard recently, not unlike Williams' style before he went all rhythmic (and slightly less interesting) on us. So that's two insanely good points, which makes for enough reasons to get this score. And my god is 'Ballet for Brawlers' totally pulse-pounding or what!!!! This bodes well for future projects from Mr. Peterson. punk

Additionally, the 'Moving Images' bonus suite is just as interesting, and from quirky to dead-serious in tone, a quite varied selection. 'Americana' and 'Pastorale' are simply wonderful !
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Sunil wrote
    ANGELS & DEMONS - HANS ZIMMER

Simply the best. Score of the year. punk

Agree!!!! and one of the best soundscapes Zimmer has ever created.

Nobody mentions it, but Langdon's theme played with piano is one of the best things from this score.

the first 40 seconds of the 2nd track... punk punk punk punk punk

One question, can you listen the Da Vinci Code in the same way you did after angels and demons?

NP:Molossus ( Hans Zimmer).

This "kick" strings ostinatos are typical from Zimmer since Black rain. In fact, it was one of the "rythms" that made me love this composer ( You can hear his full rendition in bacdrarft climax) . Can you imagine how happy I was to see Zimmer use it as a theme in the batman scores? It's really exciting!

By the way, in the beggining of the track you have the heroic batman theme, wich with bruce Wayne's theme was the best the REAL batman theme from Hans and James.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2010
    I'm glad you broke your word Jordi, otherwise I believe February would have been a Zimmer fest the likes of which mankind could not have withstood. dizzy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote
    I'm glad you broke your word Jordi, otherwise I believe February would have been a Zimmer fest the likes of which mankind could not have withstood. dizzy

I realiesed how long a month is without playing my favourite composer. it's a real punishment.

anyway, I think you and anthony cheaterd in the bet tongue moon
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Me!? A cheaterd? How?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Sunil wrote

Get a room!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Sunil wrote

Get a room!

-Erik-

Preferably one without internet access.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Sunil wrote

Get a room!

-Erik-

And then how I could download scores? dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Sunil wrote

Get a room!

-Erik-

lol
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE BLUE MAX - Jerry Goldsmith

Wow! Wow! Wow! and WOW! This sounds fantastic! Truly one of the all time great film scores gets the CD treatment it deserves, bravo Intrada. cool beer

I was wondering which film score first used a wind machine as part of it's score? My first thought was Ralph Vaughan Williams 1948 score to Scott of The Antarctic but reading the liner notes in the Chandos release says it was 'studio sources' ( a recording of wind? ) and that Vaughan Williams added the wind machine to the symphony version of the score.

Anyone know?
  1. Looking forward to The Blue Max myself, having only heard the original album once, and not falling in love with it instantly. I'm finally able to rectify the mistake of ignoring this apparently unmissable score for so long. Shame on me !
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Looking forward to The Blue Max myself, having only heard the original album once, and not falling in love with it instantly. I'm finally able to rectify the mistake of ignoring this apparently unmissable score for so long. Shame on me !

I hope you'll end up enjoying it as much as I do.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote

Wow! Wow! Wow! and WOW! This sounds fantastic! Truly one of the all time great film scores gets the CD treatment it deserves, bravo Intrada. cool beer

I was wondering which film score first used a wind machine as part of it's score? My first thought was Ralph Vaughan Williams 1948 score to Scott of The Antarctic but reading the liner notes in the Chandos release says it was 'studio sources' ( a recording of wind? ) and that Vaughan Williams added the wind machine to the symphony version of the score.

Anyone know?

WIND MACHINE

Good to see Blue Max gets a mention here. All that illustrious company + Goldie biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Essential Jerry Goldsmith Film Music Collection Prague Philarmonic

Even though this expanded my appreciation of Goldsmith's music and led to me eventually buying most of the original soundtracks after hearing their themes and suites on this album, most of them for the first time, I still enjoy this as an album in its own right. It's nice to hear different interpretations from the originals, and these are some of Prague's better recordings out there. Quite a significant and personal album for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Timmer wrote

Cool! The cd arrived yesterday. Haven't had a chance to open it though I'm more keen on the new Donaggio that came along with it punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

Even though this expanded my appreciation of Goldsmith's music and led to me eventually buying most of the original soundtracks after hearing their themes and suites on this album, most of them for the first time, I still enjoy this as an album in its own right. It's nice to hear different interpretations from the originals, and these are some of Prague's better recordings out there. Quite a significant and personal album for me.

I think it's a very fine album and a perfect introduction to anyone unfamiliar with the great mans work, just because I owned most of what's on this album didn't put me off wanting to hear new interpretations.
  2. Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I think it's a very fine album and a perfect introduction to anyone unfamiliar with the great mans work, just because I owned most of what's on this album didn't put me off wanting to hear new interpretations.

I love that album. I really should spin it again sometime, it's been too long. And I agree, the recordings by the Prague Philharmonic / Nic Raine are great. You can't go wrong with 2 discs chock full of the amazing music by one Mr. Goldsmith.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    For the most part the recordings are good. Not excellent, nothing like a Gerhardt recording obviously, but enjoyable nonetheless (although some are a bit lacking, especially the Star Trek suite).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    The Omen is brilliant though, so is The Blue Max and Under Fire.

Will be hearing the original (The Blue Max) soon enough. cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote

That Omen suite is one of the finest performances ever by the Prague orchestra. I'm still not a fan of most of their performances (and the sound of those recordings is dreadful) but The Omen is something special.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DreamTheater wrote

The Omen's OK but I think the other two are amongst the worst performances on the album, especially Under Fire.

My favourite thing about the album is that it contains the only recordings of the concert versions of the themes from The Shadow and The Great Train Robbery. I don't think the performances on the whole are awful, but they're not great either. The Prague players still hadn't quite hit their peak at that time (these days I think they're generally excellent).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

The Omen's OK but I think the other two are amongst the worst performances on the album, especially Under Fire.

Agreed! If anyone wants to hear the best version of The Blue Max (even better than the original soundtrack recording) check out Silva's re-issue of Varese's Suites & Themes album which they renamed Goldsmith Conducts Goldsmith 16 minutes of bliss ladies and gentleman. Mike Ross-Trevor's recording and the performance of the Philharmona Orchestra are nothing short of brilliant!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yay! Somebody else singing the praises of that fine, fine album. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Goldsmith Conducts Goldsmith album is brilliant, for sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Eagle Eye - Brian Tyler

I still like it. I'm still surprised to hear snippets of the Crimson Tide theme and a bit Armageddon in there, though. I tend to give up after Clutch and Shift, so let's see if I can get to Potus 111 .. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I like it too, enjoyable album. Like every Tyler album out there.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    I like it too, enjoyable album. Like every Tyler album out there.

Though The Final Destination was really stretching it...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2010 edited
    I didn't pay much attention to that, nor do i remember much to be honest so you're probably right.

But generally speaking, these modern, urban-sounding crosses of electronic stuff with orchestral material, like in Eagle eye for instance, or Bangkok dangerous, make for - unoriginal yes, but pretty enjoyable albums. I always resort to Tyler if i want something thematic and relatively pleasant playing in the background, with the small exception of some albums which are tiring and long.

His fusion of electronic elements with the orchestra is something he's pretty good at and because he also enriches all that with physically recorded and played acoustic instruments, the whole thing gets more organic and therefore more interesting.

Driven by his short, and some longer thematic statements, he gives melody and themes to his music and that's a very welcome element. Yes, he's unoriginal, yes he should quickly do something to re-fresh his palette and sound canvas, but nevertheless his albums are far more enjoyable than the majority of his same-age, same-background hollywood colleagues.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    I didn't pay much attention to that, nor do i remember much to be honest so you're probably right.

But generally speaking, these modern, urban-sounding crosses of electronic stuff with orchestral material, like in Eagle eye for instance, or Bangkok dangerous, make for - unoriginal yes, but pretty enjoyable albums. I always resort to Tyler if i want something thematic and relatively pleasant playing in the background, with the small exception of some albums which are tiring and long.

His fusion of electronic elements with the orchestra is something he's pretty good at and because he also enriches all that with physically recorded and played acoustic instruments, the whole thing gets more organic and therefore more interesting.

Driven by his short, and some longer thematic statements, he gives melody and themes to his music and that's a very welcome element. Yes, he's unoriginal, yes he should quickly do something to re-fresh his palette and sound canvas, but nevertheless his albums are far more enjoyable than the majority of his same-age, same-background hollywood colleagues.

PREACH!!!! I agree with most of your points. And I must stress that he should try to edit his album a bit more. Eagle Eye could easily be a tighter listen with at least a 5-10 minute trim.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    He edits them himself, right?