• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2010
    If his albums were more manageable lengths then I'd be in agreement, I'm sure. But there's a golden rule - if you've only got 30 minutes of interesting music, then release a 30 minute album, not a 79 minute one. Most of his albums are pretty much unlistenable to me so I'll just listen to properly-produced ones instead.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    lp wrote
    NP: Eagle Eye - Brian Tyler

I tend to give up after Clutch and Shift, so let's see if I can get to Potus 111 .. slant

Hope you get there. Terrific cue.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    If his albums were more manageable lengths then I'd be in agreement, I'm sure. But there's a golden rule - if you've only got 30 minutes of interesting music, then release a 30 minute album, not a 79 minute one. Most of his albums are pretty much unlistenable to me so I'll just listen to properly-produced ones instead.

Indeed. It doesn't bother me personally, but i can see how someone could be bothered by the over-exposure of the thing in terms of duration and repetitions. I admit that there's times that i start playing his albums in great appetite but switch them off halfway or make custom playlists, with the exception being the beautiful CHILDREN OF DUNE and DARKNESS FALLS.

He should really hand his material to a music editor, a third and unbiased person, to make a shorter, more coherent album. It's a shame really, 'cause he writes very good material, but he seems like someone who's emotionally connected to his own stuff so much that he can't really make himself cut it off the final album, ending up in excess.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    The Omen is brilliant though, so is The Blue Max and Under Fire.

That Omen suite is one of the finest performances ever by the Prague orchestra. I'm still not a fan of most of their performances (and the sound of those recordings is dreadful) but The Omen is something special.

-Erik-

Have you ever heard Staley Black's Omen suite Erik, it's fooking brilliant!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

That Omen suite is one of the finest performances ever by the Prague orchestra. I'm still not a fan of most of their performances (and the sound of those recordings is dreadful) but The Omen is something special.

-Erik-

shocked NO. I . HAVEN'T. What album is that on?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Southall wrote
    The Goldsmith Conducts Goldsmith album is brilliant, for sure.

How does this compilation compare with the Telarc Goldsmith conducts Goldsmith?
    http://www.amazon.com/Film-Music-Jerry- … B00005BC6G
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    BhelPuri wrote
    Southall wrote
    The Goldsmith Conducts Goldsmith album is brilliant, for sure.

How does this compilation compare with the Telarc Goldsmith conducts Goldsmith?
    http://www.amazon.com/Film-Music-Jerry- … B00005BC6G

That album is terrible. I HATE the new Motion Picture Medley. The addition of Air Force One and Basic Instinct to that suite was a terrible idea. The TV Medley is also destroyed by the addition of Star Trek: Voyager. And the performance of the Star Trek The Motion Picture theme is terrible. Lifeless performances and AWFUL sound quality.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Marselus wrote
    lp wrote
    NP: Eagle Eye - Brian Tyler

I tend to give up after Clutch and Shift, so let's see if I can get to Potus 111 .. slant

Hope you get there. Terrific cue.

I stopped during "Operation Guillotine". I'll listen to "Potus 111" tomorrow biggrin

I've decided that there are about 40 minute of great stuff here, but it'll be very headache inducing to listen to in one sitting. So it's actually great that there are 30minutes of fillers in between shocked

maybe.....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Nautilus wrote

One question, can you listen the Da Vinci Code in the same way you did after angels and demons?

Why not, Jordi? whether you believe me or not, yesterday, i spent nearly 2 hours in listening to Hans Zimmer's works, especially from the following list of my favorite scores:

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
    Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (Singapore and Up is Down, these two tracks are just awesome)
    The Last Samurai
    Angels & Demons (160BPM - Magnificent & Science & Religion - Wonderful)
    The Dark Knight (Why so serious? - Marvelous & Like a dog chasing cars - to me, best cue of the year)
    The Davinci Code
    The Lion King ( my all time favorite)
    Sherlock Holmes ( not great, but good score indeed)
    Spirit: Stallion of the Cimaron ( Run Free - for this i would give anything, simply classic & masterpiece and Rain - very beautiful indeed)

I don't care what others say on Zimmer, but i just adore his works. After John Williams, I frequently listen to Zimmer music. There is nothing wrong in saying that Hans Zimmer is a greatest composer of all time.

Have a nice day, buddy!
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2010 edited
    Sunil wrote
    Nautilus wrote

One question, can you listen the Da Vinci Code in the same way you did after angels and demons?

Why not, Jordi? whether you believe me or not, yesterday, i spent nearly 2 hours in listening to Hans Zimmer's works, especially from the following list of my favorite scores:

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (Singapore and Up is Down, these two tracks are just awesome)
    The Last Samurai
    The Dark Knight (Why so serious? - Marvelous & Like a dog chasing cars - to me, best cue of the year)
    The Davinci Code
    Spirit: Stallion of the Cimaron ( Run Free - for this i would give anything, simply classic & masterpiece and Rain - very beautiful indeed)

I don't care what others say on Zimmer, but i just adore his works. After John Williams, I frequently listen to Zimmer music. There is nothing wrong in saying that Hans Zimmer is a greatest composer of all time.

Have a nice day, buddy!

I think you should care. Because you're on a forum and people do read what you write and they will counter when they don't agree with what you have to say.

I think that You sound like fan of Hans Zimmer. And, in general, as a fan of any composer, you're entitled to your opinion and is always allowed the chance to listen to as many works of that composer as you like. So, go you!!!! Zimmer fans, Goldsmith fans, Tyler fans etc. (Except you can't like Tyler Bates, cause he's just horrible most of the time shocked spin crazy )

Have good night/day where ever you are.

I'm outtie 5000. moon
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Yes, I was bored. Gonna go eat dinner now.

NP: Rain drops.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Sunil wrote

The Last Samurai
    The Davinci Code

Have a nice day, buddy!

No mention of Gladiator or The Peacemaker up there? Those are easily in my Hans' Top 10 list too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Spartacus - Alex North

Magnificent!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    DemonStar wrote

No mention of Gladiator or The Peacemaker up there? Those are easily in my Hans' Top 10 list too.

Of course, Gladiator is also my favorite but i didn't get much time for that. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    lp wrote

I think that You sound like fan of Hans Zimmer.

Have good night/day where ever you are.

No. Actually, i am fan of Film music. That's all. But of course, i am a huge fan of Maestro John Williams. wink

By the way, have a sweet dreams!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Medicine Man (Jerry Goldsmith)

One I like to listen to on a rainy day. Not uber-brilliant but a small gem nonetheless as far as I'm concerned. The blend of electronics and orchestra is wonderful, that main theme is one of the greatest he has done IMO and those synthesized rhythmic sections always get my blood pumping. It also has a magical and whimsical quality to it, that makes me journey to another world for the duration of the album: a pure Goldsmith-world where gorgeous melodies and creativity go hand in hand. I want to go there whenever I can.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Spartacus - Alex North

Magnificent!

It is!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote

One I like to listen to on a rainy day. Not uber-brilliant but a small gem nonetheless as far as I'm concerned.

Not the whole score, but if the 'The Trees' isn't uber-brilliant, I don't know what is!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

One I like to listen to on a rainy day. Not uber-brilliant but a small gem nonetheless as far as I'm concerned.

Not the whole score, but if the 'The Trees' isn't uber-brilliant, I don't know what is!

'The Trees' is like a homage to John Barry, brilliant track!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

-Erik-

shocked NO. I . HAVEN'T. What album is that on?

-Erik-

It's available on CD but the version I have is on LP ( I think it was called Satan Superstar? ), it's an 11 minute suite of the original Omen and it's pokey as hell ( pun intended wink ), dare I say it's more powerful than Goldsmith's original, definitely worth seeking out a listen Erik.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Peacemaker Vs King Arthur (Hans Zimmer).

I don't know man....i don't know. Wich score I like most? One has more orchestral power, but the other has more interesting textures and themes. DAMMIT!

by the way, listen up James! Stop saying all Zimmer action stuff sounds like peacemaker! of course , that's because is Zimmer action style!!!! All the other composers has the same action style in almost every of his scores, and you not mention everytime "this score sounds like: Willow, or Superman or..."
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    While cooking dinner yesterday I listened to...

Pino Donaggio - L'Uomo Che Cavalcava Nel Buio (The Man Who Rode In The Darkness)

Pinooooo returns! It's the score for the 2009 TV film starring Terence Hill. Very enjoyable for me. There are lots of fun cues along with nostalgia-laden gorgeous ones.
    Who needs Blue Max or Red Canvas when you can get Pinoooo!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Jordi, if you like them both does it really matter that one has to be better than the other?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Jordi, if you like them both does it really matter that one has to be better than the other?

Don't even bother Timmer. Just don't...
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote

yes! Because maybe someday i will have to choose. "what 3 things you will take to a desert island?" tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    Timmer wrote

yes! Because maybe someday i will have to choose. "what 3 things you will take to a desert island?" tongue

That's no good! Sunil says a tsunami is coming to wipe us all out ( obviously true ), I'd suggest a mountain top.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Peacemaker Vs King Arthur (Hans Zimmer).

I don't know man....i don't know. Wich score I like most? One has more orchestral power, but the other has more interesting textures and themes. DAMMIT!

by the way, listen up James! Stop saying all Zimmer action stuff sounds like peacemaker! of course , that's because is Zimmer action style!!!! All the other composers has the same action style in almost every of his scores, and you not mention everytime "this score sounds like: Willow, or Superman or..."

Just my 2cents, The Peacemaker is a better score, not because it's orchestral, but because it's more specific in what's it's trying to say. It's completely scene specific and thus, more dynamic and has a narrative pushing it. KA suffers from that generic RC-ism of having too many cooks trying to spread the same recipe across different plates. There are great parts, but only because those parts were scene specific, like The Ice Battle cue. A more apt comparison, for me, would be between The Peacemaker and POTC: AWE, but that's an unfair battle though.

NP: Potus 111 - Brian Tyler

Gotta finish this CD!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Timmer wrote
    That's no good! Sunil says a tsunami is coming to wipe us all out ( obviously true ), I'd suggest a mountain top.

lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    lp wrote
    A more apt comparison, for me, would be between The Peacemaker and POTC: AWE, but that's an unfair battle though.

agree about what you said. but Why this comparison is unfair?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Nautilus wrote
    lp wrote
    A more apt comparison, for me, would be between The Peacemaker and POTC: AWE, but that's an unfair battle though.

agree about what you said. but Why this comparison is unfair?

Because there were two scores preceding it. That's a lot of stuff to build upon. A clear evolution of two prior score in a franchise. Many themes, many styles, though made using one POV, Hans'.

The Peacemaker was a clear evolution of a specific style, set to a specific aspect of a film genre (Cold War/nuclear threat/political thriller). And in the end, The Peacemaker is a really really good score. It's as symphonic, and as stylistically coheren,t as Zimmer will ever be, while being very functional and on point with the movie. I'd pick it over KA anyday.