• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2010
    Doesn't the quieter, more 'reflective' moments have an affect on your adrenaline? If I was running, I'd want ACTION ACTION ACTION! (Whenever I cycle, I always put on action music, or at least loud music.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Doesn't the quieter, more 'reflective' moments have an affect on your adrenaline? If I was running, I'd want ACTION ACTION ACTION! (Whenever I cycle, I always put on action music, or at least loud music.)

I rarely play film music when I'm training, more likely it's something by Paul Oakenfold or the like.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote

I think the adrenaline drowns out the action music and it just sounds like (especially in LOTR) a lot of pounding percussion and shrieking choir. The massive heroic moments are the best (The Lighting Of The Beacons!), and the quieter pieces are usually towards the end, and since by that point I feel like I'm dying anyway it's nice to have a bit of peace. Unfortunately ROTK doesn't offer that at the two and three quarter hour point, just another 45 minutes of loud action music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Hell yes it does! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2010 edited
    Timmer wrote
    NP : DAYBREAKERS - Christopher Gordon

First listen.

Really good and worth playing loudly, there's some great percussion but also some great subtleties. I'll need a few more listens to really digest this one.

p.s. I was right about one thing, Mel would hate most of this score wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : KNOWING - Marco Beltrami

Great stuff! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2010 edited
    Steven wrote
    Bregt wrote
    DAYBREAKERS | christopher gordon

Oh yes! Starts very dark (and sightly dramatic), but by the end of the first track, the spectacle is starting. Pity the balance between the moody parts is not really a pity, since it really helps to enhance the second half of the album.

Indeed. At first, I wasn't too sure about the 'moody' parts, but now I've become quite accustomed to them. Saying that, not everyone will enjoy over an hour's worth of moody music, so this is a playlist I made for a mate who enjoys scores, but appreciates shorter albums, especially for these types of scores (no, it's not Thor):

Humans
    On The Run
    The Winery And The Cafe
    Fermentation Tank
    Ambush
    Resurrection
    Blood Brothers
    In The Sun
    Spreading The Cure
    Daybreak

At an unfamiliar glance that looks like a good playlist? With some of those tracks making an impression on me from the first listen, particularly the gloriously choral In The Sun and that great horn section in Daybreak. I found some of the more subtle moments very reminiscent of Vaughan Williams and Shostakovitch ( no bad thing ), but like I've already said, I'll need a few more listens to get my head around this enjoyable score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You definitely have to be in the mood for Daybreakers, but that said it is a fine score. I want to see the film primarily to hear how the score works!
    • CommentAuthoradam
    A Beautiful Mind .... a beautiful score.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2010
    NP: The Voyage - La Marche de l'Empereur by Emilie Simon

I've never heard of this composer or film, but I just heard this track on the Cinemix radio station and found it highly enjoyable.
  1. Steven wrote

I've wondered about this actually. Sometimes when I go to the gym, I like music to really do the work with me at high speed, like 'Waterloo' or 'Tangiers' from BOURNE ULTIMATUM or 'Storming New Caprica' from BSG. Other times, I play something which really contradicts the action... something agonisingly slow like 'The Climb' (Capricorn One, Goldsmith) or something more romantic. I think by mixing it up, the machines in the gym don't tend to get boring. The music can change -- it really isn't the same exercise. And it's harder sometimes, depending on the music.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2010 edited
    adam wrote
    A Beautiful Mind .... a beautiful score.

Yes it is. One of my favourite Horner scores of the 'noughties'.
  2. NP: The Upside of Anger (Desplat)

A gorgeous score. One of his most emotionally rewarding?

Also today... The 25th Hour (Terence Blanchard). A great score and film.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom John Williams

Bug Tunnel And Death Trap is the ultimate in hilariously over the top dangerous, imminent death music. biggrin cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Bregt wrote
    DAYBREAKERS | christopher gordon

Oh yes! Starts very dark (and sightly dramatic), but by the end of the first track, the spectacle is starting. Pity the balance between the moody parts is not really a pity, since it really helps to enhance the second half of the album.

This one is next on my playlist for today, and yes, I do like moody scores. Anyways, right now I'm giving my first listen to FSM's new release....

NP : ISLANDS IN THE STREAM - Jerry Goldsmith

I used to have the boot of this once ( it was combined with The Reincarnation of Peter Proud, both had very poor sound ) so it's great to hear this with quality cool

This is gorgeous Sunday listening, it's just a shame the sun isn't shining.

Did anyone else go for this release?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote

Bug Tunnel And Death Trap is the ultimate in hilariously over the top dangerous, imminent death music. biggrin cool

It's GODDAMN amazing music! Makes the scene that much better!

"We Are Going To Die!"

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

Yup!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

Yup!

-Erik-

Ah, missed that. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: The Upside of Anger (Desplat)

A gorgeous score. One of his most emotionally rewarding?

Definitely. And overlooked too.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Red Cliff - Taro Iwashiro

Whoa, this is really good! Excellent use of ethnic material with powerful orchestral music. The action cues are really good, and quieter material is pretty nice too.
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

"We Are Going To Die!"

-Erik-

punk hahaha the sad at the end: BRILLIANT, Harrison's look after that line is genius punk

Best Shot aka Hoosiers aka Best Shot aka Hoosiers aka etc. etc. (Mister Tunesmith)

Having never seen the film, this has passed me by for many years, why oh why didn't I fall for it when it came out, because I sure as heck love it now. The theme man, it's the theme !!! Uplifting heroic music in a grand Jerry-style. The 'dated' 80s synths only add to the charm. Somehow it works brilliantly when accompanying such a brilliant theme.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

"We Are Going To Die!"

-Erik-

punk hahaha the sad at the end: BRILLIANT, Harrison's look after that line is genius punk

I think he looks like Simon Pegg in that shot.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : GOLDFINGER - John Barry

Class! cool
  4. Timmer wrote

Yes I did. And I listened to some of it this morning - but, unfortunately, my lacklustre enthusiasm for the original Intrada release wasn't changed with these original tracks.

I'm unlikely to return to this. sad

Doesn't bode well for The Blue Man.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The Blue Man?
  5. Timmer wrote
    The Blue Man?

shame

The Blue Max.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    lp wrote

The Peacemaker was a clear evolution of a specific style, set to a specific aspect of a film genre (Cold War/nuclear threat/political thriller). And in the end, The Peacemaker is a really really good score. It's as symphonic, and as stylistically coheren,t as Zimmer will ever be, while being very functional and on point with the movie. I'd pick it over KA anyday.

I think peacemaker is the best action score from Zimmer, and one of the last solo effort from Zimmer in the action genre. probably Zimmer worked hard on this one, because was the first Dreamworks film and I guess Spierlberg was really involved in the production process.

100 pieces of orchestra (including a lot of woodwins), chorus, electronics, thematically rich...I think Peacemaker , even with his obvious MV style, is Zimmer most "complex" action score. (Gladiator was a step back in my humble opinion)

Peacemaker no only influnced his posterior action scores ( Gladiator, Pirates, batman) but also his scores more "intimate scores" (as good as it gets woodwins and string composition are in there)

I love the "sarajevo lament" theme. it's pure Zimmer!

But.... King arthur has more colorful and mindblowing textures. dizzy

NP:Avatar (Horner)

Far from perfect, but it has so many things on it...... punk

(the movie crossed the 2 BIllion mark shocked )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    The Blue Man?

shame

The Blue Max.

Surely you've heard The Blue Max score before?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    The Blue Man?

shame

The Blue Max.

Too much AVATAR hurts one's health. See Sunil for instance wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.