• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2010
    Nautilus wrote
    lp wrote

The Peacemaker was a clear evolution of a specific style, set to a specific aspect of a film genre (Cold War/nuclear threat/political thriller). And in the end, The Peacemaker is a really really good score. It's as symphonic, and as stylistically coheren,t as Zimmer will ever be, while being very functional and on point with the movie. I'd pick it over KA anyday.

I think peacemaker is the best action score from Zimmer, and one of the last solo effort from Zimmer in the action genre. probably Zimmer worked hard on this one, because was the first Dreamworks film and I guess Spierlberg was really involved in the production process.

100 pieces of orchestra (including a lot of woodwins), chorus, electronics, thematically rich...I think Peacemaker , even with his obvious MV style, is Zimmer most "complex" action score. (Gladiator was a step back in my humble opinion)

Peacemaker no only influnced his posterior action scores ( Gladiator, Pirates, batman) but also his scores more "intimate scores" (as good as it gets woodwins and string composition are in there)

I love the "sarajevo lament" theme. it's pure Zimmer!

But.... King arthur has more colorful and mindblowing textures. dizzy

I love PEACEMAKER, definitely a milestone score as far as Zimmer's score is considered. There, it's defined in its purest form, one which undoubtedly influenced everyone afterward, for good or bad smile That 'sarajevo' piece is outstanding.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    To anyone who hasn't heard The Blue Max, I always suggest starting with the 16 minute suite on the Jerry Goldsmith Suites & Themes album, and then move on from there if you like what you hear. (Though I've still yet to listen to this new release in all honesty.)
  1. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    The Blue Man?

shame

The Blue Max.

Surely you've heard The Blue Max score before?

I have. But I wanted to hear this much improved version - and support the release of all these more recent titles - and re-evaluate Goldsmith's score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I get the impression you don't like the score much?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. NP: The Blue Max - Jerry Goldsmith

Listening to the Legacy release of this score. I can't have listened to this much in the past as I'm quite pleased with the main title. I'll be interested to hear what Intrada have done with the sound.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Timmer wrote

That's funny, I did have that impression. But I may be wrong (see above).

It's been some time since I've listened to it - and I think that this may be an example of how we all need to re-appraise our scores periodically to see if our opinions have changed over the years. I'm quite liking this now.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

That's funny, I did have that impression. But I may be wrong (see above).

It's been some time since I've listened to it - and I think that this may be an example of how we all need to re-appraise our scores periodically to see if our opinions have changed over the years. I'm quite liking this now.

smile beer

Very true Alan, I periodically return to scores I didn't at first enjoy to see if my opinion has changed, two scores that spring recently to mind are JNH's Atlantis The Lost Empire which I re-discovered has some fabulous tracks in it after I'd innitially dismissed it, on the opposite side is Goldsmith's Malice which I still can't stand.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Timmer wrote
    Very true Alan, I periodically return to scores I didn't at first enjoy to see if my opinion has changed...

I'm going to struggle if I'm going to have to revisit a lot of titles I've more-or-less discarded to see if I still don't like them!!
  5. Sorry to harp on about this score but The Blue Max!!! shocked

How could I have possibly have dismissed this title in the past? "The Attack" is awesome!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2010 edited
    The evolution in this topic, from Alan's initial disinterest (calling it The Blue Man) to 'awesome!', is fantastic. biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Damn! I was about to suggest to Alan to sent his copy my way if he was unimpressed. lick
  6. NP: Enduring Love (Jeremy Sams)

How could I forget this? One of the great scores of the past decade.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2010
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Enduring Love (Jeremy Sams)

Totally agree! beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Sorry to harp on about this score but The Blue Max!!! shocked

How could I have possibly have dismissed this title in the past? "The Attack" is awesome!

That and Retreat punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    the understudy-Carl Davis. This is yet another release on his new label.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Enduring Love (Jeremy Sams)

Totally agree! beer

Have postponed getting this for so long. I. Must. Get. This.
  7. Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: The Upside of Anger (Desplat)

A gorgeous score. One of his most emotionally rewarding?

Definitely. And overlooked too.

Is this score availalbe for purchase anywhere? The only place I could find it was itunes, but then it said that it wasn't available for purchas in the U.S. Weird. I've heard others praise this score in the past, but everytimes I've tried to find it I've not been able to.

NP - Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium (Desplat/Zigman)

I think this is a good score. Some of the tracks are a little zany for my tastes, but when it slows down there is some gorgeous music to be had. "The Flight of Magorium," "Great Wisdom," and "Sparkle" are some of the tracks that I particularly enjoy. The latter tracks are both on the softer side, but I really like that kind of thing. Of course the big theme pieces like "Finale" and "Mahoney's Debut" are excellent.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : HOWARD THE DUCK - John Barry

This is an excellent score with a wonderful bluesy jazz theme for Howard and a great fanfare for when Howard goes into action, it would be great if this got a legit CD release.

The film, of course, is pants!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote

This is an excellent score with a wonderful bluesy jazz theme for Howard and a great fanfare for when Howard goes into action, it would be great if this got a legit CD release.

I haven't heard this for ages. (I own it on LP and copied it to Minidisc years ago, but these days I don't have the capacity to listen to either LPs or Minidiscs!) It's really good. Would love a CD release.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

I haven't heard this for ages. (I own it on LP and copied it to Minidisc years ago, but these days I don't have the capacity to listen to either LPs or Minidiscs!) It's really good. Would love a CD release.

Indeed! I really don't know how much of Barry's score is in the film ( I only saw it once ), I do remember that there was additional music by Sylvester Levay.

How about Thomas Dolby's songs, Were they any good? I don't remember them at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Nautilus wrote
    lp wrote

The Peacemaker was a clear evolution of a specific style, set to a specific aspect of a film genre (Cold War/nuclear threat/political thriller). And in the end, The Peacemaker is a really really good score. It's as symphonic, and as stylistically coheren,t as Zimmer will ever be, while being very functional and on point with the movie. I'd pick it over KA anyday.

I think peacemaker is the best action score from Zimmer, and one of the last solo effort from Zimmer in the action genre. probably Zimmer worked hard on this one, because was the first Dreamworks film and I guess Spierlberg was really involved in the production process.

100 pieces of orchestra (including a lot of woodwins), chorus, electronics, thematically rich...I think Peacemaker , even with his obvious MV style, is Zimmer most "complex" action score. (Gladiator was a step back in my humble opinion)

Peacemaker no only influnced his posterior action scores ( Gladiator, Pirates, batman) but also his scores more "intimate scores" (as good as it gets woodwins and string composition are in there)

I love the "sarajevo lament" theme. it's pure Zimmer!

But.... King arthur has more colorful and mindblowing textures. dizzy

NP:Avatar (Horner)

Far from perfect, but it has so many things on it...... punk

(the movie crossed the 2 BIllion mark shocked )

So, you'd pick KA instead? I think, in the end, it's not as impressive to me as The Peacemaker is. Though it feels more of a descendant of The Rock and Gladiator, in how it's using the simple anthemic, Gladiator-inspired material over percussion, as oppose to the more complicated orchestral narrative writing in The Peacemaker.

NP: The Blue Max - Jerry Goldsmith

Not a mind-blowing remaster as I hoped, but it's still a marked improvement.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Alexander Nevsky Sergei Prokofiev

An essential score to any serious score fan. (Unless of course you don't like it.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Alexander Nevsky Sergei Prokofiev

An essential score to any serious score fan. (Unless of course you don't like it.)

Particularly if you love James Horner or the Riders of Doom piece from Conan The Barbarian. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    The Riders Of Doom piece?! I must check this out then. Thanks for the tip. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2010 edited
    DemonStar wrote

Oh, you definitely should, it is one of THE great and influential works. A seriously kick arse work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    stupid <- though try and imagine it saying 'I agree' instead
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    stupid <- though try and imagine it saying 'I agree' instead

If I take my glasses off it could say anything wink

p.s. I think I always ask this, which version are you playing? The original ( enhanced ) score or the Cantata?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    If I'm listening to a pre-60s score and enjoying it, with me you're best off assuming I'm listening to a rerecording. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Oh, you definitely should, it is one of THE great and influential works. A seriously kick arse work.

face-palm-mt Oh shit... here comes Thor.

And if no one has any idea what I'm getting READ THIS!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!