• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2010
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: How To Train Your Dragon - John Powell

It's a fun score for sure but hasn't wowed me! And the recording still bothers the piss out of me. Ugh! crazy

Up Next: Willow - James Horner

Aaaaaaaaaah!

-Erik-

What bothers you about the sound? Synths-augmented parts?

NP Partition Brian Tyler

With the Children of Dunedisc, this is the score by Tyler that I listen to the most often. Very good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Tintin wrote

It's thin, tinny, wimpy, no low ends, the trumpets sound like cheap 90's Zimmer synths, most of the percussion sounds fake, the layered synths, etc. It's sounds lifeless and cheap.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Erik Woods wrote
    Tintin wrote

It's thin, tinny, wimpy, no low ends, the trumpets sound like cheap 90's Zimmer synths, most of the percussion sounds fake, the layered synths, etc. It's sounds lifeless and cheap.

-Erik-

I know what you mean. I always wonder why Powell feels that he needs to slap layers of synths on top of the string sections. I doesn't show as much on this one but it sure distracts from the overall enjoyment. His music would benefit so much in using just the string section of the orchestra.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2010 edited
    Timmer wrote
    It's the kind of moody Morricone I love, more mournful than The Thing and with a touch of that repeated keyboard motif from WOLF and out of context I would have sworn on a 'guess the music game' that one of the tracks was Pino Donaggio.

I reservedly recommend it.

Great that you like it. It's indeed a fascinating score, very melodic, moody and indeed mournful. I used to have the bootleg, but this release is vastly superior. I love the booklet as well, so detailed and interesting. What an amazing release.

It's wonderful that FSM finally opened their eyes to Morricone. A few years ago they hadn't released anything by him. Now we have 6 FSM Morricone releases.

Peter punk
  1. The Legend of Zorro - James Horner

What a fun, dynamic score. Zorro's Theme (also featured in The Mask of Zorro) is one of the best themes Horner's ever come up with, which is saying A LOT.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: An Unfinished Life - Christopher Young

Deborah Lurie's effort is nice but this rejected score is gorgeous. Subtle, touching and extremely soothing. Brilliant stuff. It may be the complete opposite of what Young's best known for but it certainly shows he can do it. For some reason I've woken up rather early this morning but this music seems perfect for the moment, along with a nice cup of tea.

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Timmer wrote
    It's the kind of moody Morricone I love, more mournful than The Thing and with a touch of that repeated keyboard motif from WOLF and out of context I would have sworn on a 'guess the music game' that one of the tracks was Pino Donaggio.

I reservedly recommend it.

Great that you like it. It's indeed a fascinating score, very melodic, moody and indeed mournful. I used to have the bootleg, but this release is vastly superior. I love the booklet as well, so detailed and interesting. What an amazing release.

It's wonderful that FSM finally opened their eyes to Morricone. A few years ago they hadn't released anything by him. Now we have 6 FSM Morricone releases.

Peter punk

...and more to come at some point I would expect. cool

After reading the liner notes I'd really like to see the film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Napoleon - Carl Davis

Just started listening to this new digital release of Davis' score for the 1927 silent film. Enjoying it a lot so far.

Good, isn't it?
    I really liked it in the film as well!
    Davis like no other these days makes silent films shine. I really enjoyed the couple of film-accompanied concerts he gave. Too bad they stopped doing those. sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    David Newman - Meet the Applegates

The one D. Newman score I'd been begging to be released some day. Big fan of the film. (Guilty pleasure if ever there was one! dizzy ). And the score is a ripping little gem! smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE MESSAGE - Maurice Jarre

I once had this on LP and all I can say is that I could never have listened to it properly because this is fantastic music, a very arabic feel, as you would expect from a film about the prophet Mohamed, with appropriate ethnic instrumentation and, thankfully, no wailing women. Of particular note are the powerful Building The Mosque and Entry To Mecca, superb and I can't wait to play it again.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE MESSAGE - Maurice Jarre

I once had this on LP and all I can say is that I could never have listened to it properly because this is fantastic music, a very arabic feel, as you would expect from a film about the prophet Mohamed, with appropriate ethnic instrumentation and, thankfully, no wailing women. Of particular note are the powerful Building The Mosque and Entry To Mecca, superb and I can't wait to play it again.

Once you get past five interminable dance band pieces of source music the same disc ends with the world premiere recording of Giubileo ( Commissioned by and performed at the Vatican in the presence of pope John Paul II in 2000, a call for world peace and religious understanding ), a cantata for orchestra and chorus and is simply awesome and wonderful music played by the City of Prague conducted by James Fitzpatrick.
  2. Halo 3 - Marty O'Donnell & Mike Salvatori

You're either in the 'love it' or 'hate it' camp. I'm in the former. Why? because this at least has consistency and thematic development. And I absolutely understand the music's function within the game, where it has a more epic feel to it, thanks to its connection with the story and characters.

I have high hopes for Halo Reach, which hopefully will be even more orchestral than this. Because this still has its share of synthesized tracks, not that I mind that. But the orchestral ones rock. IMHO.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Beastmaster 2: Through The Portal of Time - Robert Folk

I recommend that every one here listen to more Robert Folk. This score is magnificent featuring one of my all time favorite themes heard at the tail end of the epic all most 10 minute battle cue "Dar The Hero."

-Erik-

I'm right with you on this one Erik !
    Awesome score and I even prefer it over the first one .
    The ending of "Dar The Hero" is a musical goosebump moment and should be played loud !

punk
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Eraser (Expanded) - Alan Silvestri

Epic action scoring at its best! For those that love Silvestri in his The Long Kiss Goodnight, Judge Dredd, The Mummy Returns and Van Helsing mode you are going to enjoy every single moment of this expanded edition of one of Silvestri's finest action scores!

One tiny little note about the sound... you knew it was coming wink I notice that the mix is not as punchy as the original release. Seems like, at least to me, the producers dialed down the details of the snare and the electric bass. There's still considerable 'umph' but I prefer Dennis Sands original mix on the original release. I actually did a side by side comparision of the original and this expanded release of the last cue in Audition and I found that the low ends of the original were much more pronounced and the highs were a bit more detailed.

Besides that, skip to track 10 "Kruger Escapes," turn up the volume and blow your neighbours away!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. I hadn't appreciated how much of an echo there was to Judge Dredd (in particular) in Eraser. Not a complaint; I just hadn't noticed before.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The main Eraser Theme is the Judge Dredd Theme's long lost cousin.

-Erik-
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    The main Eraser Theme is the Judge Dredd Theme's long lost cousin.

-Erik-

biggrin
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Beastmaster 2: Through The Portal of Time - Robert Folk

I recommend that every one here listen to more Robert Folk. This score is magnificent featuring one of my all time favorite themes heard at the tail end of the epic all most 10 minute battle cue "Dar The Hero."

-Erik-

to give you a taste of what to expect, check out my suite - Beastmaster 2 (Robert Folk)
    the wonderful cue Dar the Hero is prominently featured
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I was going to upload my suite as well but that'll do, Pig... that'll do.

-Erik-
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    I was going to upload my suite as well but that'll do, Pig... that'll do.

-Erik-

smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorkokodezil
    Np:Live and let Die=John mac Cartney and the wings
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    John mac Cartney? That's fantastic. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM - Elmer Bernstein

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    kokodezil wrote

On Youtube no doubt!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorkokodezil
    Steven wrote
    John mac Cartney? That's fantastic. biggrin

whatever......
    • CommentAuthorkokodezil
    Erik Woods wrote
    kokodezil wrote

On Youtube no doubt!

-Erik-

where else,my man?????? spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Nanny McPhee & The Big Bang - James Newton Howard

I'm liking it so far... and any score with the track title "The British Museum Of Poo" gets my full support!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Nanny McPhee & The Big Bang - James Newton Howard

I'm liking it so far... and any score with the track title "The British Museum Of Poo" gets my full support!

-Erik-

Now I understand why you don't like my sense of humour tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Because you're not funny.

-Erik-
  7. Been on Yared's website for probably half an hour now, just checking out samples of current films, and some older stuff.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.