• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2010 edited
    Martijn wrote
    angry NOBODY IS BANNING ANYONE. angry

I was just bollocking around.
    Jeez, people! rolleyes

Aw! sad wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2010
    Where's Marcel? I need a dance...

bhangra
    bhangra
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Martijn wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Why, besides being a little odd and off, should he be banned?
    BobdH wrote
    Aaaaand... we're back to the kindergarten. The big boys didn't like him.

I guess he doesn't need to be banned anymore, though.

angry NOBODY IS BANNING ANYONE. angry

I was just bollocking around.
    Jeez, people! rolleyes

It's not about YOUR post, I was talking about the response. Which probably resulted in never seeing Koko anymore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Erik Woods wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Why, besides being a little odd and off, should he be banned?

Let's see... Timmer and Steven asked for their post count to be reset and you obliged. You've set the precedent... you MUST honour Koko's request.

I didn't get it.

I'm gonna continuing listening to Alexander Nevsky.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    BobdH wrote
    It's not about YOUR post

I took it very personally anyway.You should realize by now I have an extremely vulnerable and fragile ego. sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Erik Woods wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Nanny McPhee & The Big Bang - James Newton Howard

I'm liking it so far... and any score with the track title "The British Museum Of Poo" gets my full support!

Man, did this ever go down hill fast. I like mickey mousing in film scores but what I'm hearing in the middle portions of this score is not good at all. This is an album that needs to be trimmed down.

I'm still farting around with this one. The Independence Day theme knock-off during "An Explosion/Free Day" and "Leaps Of Faith" is shameless. And referencing Doyle's "Snow In August" from the first score (same orchestations) but without stating the theme is a little odd. Why not just state the theme. Why create a trailer like piece that sounds like it but changes one note here and one note there to claim that the theme is original. Ugh! How frustrating!

I think I can cut this down to about 30-35 minutes but I'm not sure if I want to spend any more time with this score since I really have no interest in returning to it! I'd rather listen to Doyle's first score. This is definitely not James Newton Howard's finest hour! Entertaining End Credit suite though...

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Meet The Applegates - David Newman

First listen... BI-ZARRE!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Erik Woods wrote

I'm liking it so far... and any score with the track title "The British Museum Of Poo" gets my full support!

-Erik-

Then perhaps you will find this interesting.
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2010
    shocked
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Man, did this ever go down hill fast. I like mickey mousing in film scores but what I'm hearing in the middle portions of this score is not good at all. This is an album that needs to be trimmed down.

I'm still farting around with this one. The Independence Day theme knock-off during "An Explosion/Free Day" and "Leaps Of Faith" is shameless. And referencing Doyle's "Snow In August" from the first score (same orchestations) but without stating the theme is a little odd. Why not just state the theme. Why create a trailer like piece that sounds like it but changes one note here and one note there to claim that the theme is original. Ugh! How frustrating!

I think I can cut this down to about 30-35 minutes but I'm not sure if I want to spend any more time with this score since I really have no interest in returning to it! I'd rather listen to Doyle's first score. This is definitely not James Newton Howard's finest hour! Entertaining End Credit suite though...

-Erik-

Wasn't Thomas Newman attached to this a while ago? I wonder what he'd do with it...maybe something like Lemony Snicket.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Crossing the Line - Ennio Morricone

It seems that Morricone writes in a certain mode when composing for English speaking movies. This score is similar in style to Bugsy or State of Grace - except that I like it much more. The touching main theme is great and also some of the music for the fight scenes.
    It's an album where the short length - 36 minutes - is justified.
  2. Aliens - James Horner

Just when I thought that this man couldn't possibly impress me anymore than he has, I listen to this...now I know where parts of Avatar came from...(not that that diminishes the latter though).
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The new release from SAE and it has been awhile is The Long Night by Tiomkin with the main theme coming from the second movement of Beethoven's 7th. While a noir type film you won't hear the usual type of music associated with it.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Aliens - James Horner

Just when I thought that this man couldn't possibly impress me anymore than he has, I listen to this...now I know where parts of Avatar came from...(not that that diminishes the latter though).

Are you a new listener to the ALIENS score Kevin?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    yeah

Was playing: The Hawaiians - Henry Mancini
    I love the lyricism, which is very good in this score, but unfortunately there's a little too much "ethnic trickery" going on. There is a decided Chinese slant to many of the cues, but it's "Hollywood Chinese" (I think there's even a phrase for that. The Fu Man Chu March or something? It escapes me at present).
    Anyway, still quite enjoyable though less so than I hoped when I heard the sound clips.

Halfway through I realized it's Good Friday, so I changed to The Passion Of The Christ - John Debney
    My memory was playing tricks on me, as I remembered the score being mainly timpani and that ferschlugginer Eastern Wailing drone again, but I was very wrong: it's a beautiful, thoughtful and powerful score, with a powerful melodic touch. Very enjoyable indeed, and I'm sorry I left it so long!

I've still yet to getting around to playing The Hawaiians.

As for Passion of The Christ I too should give it another go, I never liked it as much as some people here do but I'm always willing to give anything another chance, I think, like you Martijn, that maybe my memory is playing tricks on me too because I always think of catterwauling women and it puts me off playing it.

Passion of the Christ is one of the most recent film music classics. Give it an opportunity and watch the movie as well. The score's terrific from note 1 to end, certainly Debney's superior effort so far and certainly one of the milestones of modern film scoring. So emotional, true and - no pun, passionate.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. The score is one of my all-time favorites, but I wonder if the Zimmer references don't take the milestone character out of it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: How To Train Your Dragon - John Powell

It's a fun score for sure but hasn't wowed me! And the recording still bothers the piss out of me. Ugh! crazy

Me too. Still, quite a fun score, especially when you reduce its length a bit.

Can't really listen to this i am afraid, i know i am in the minority however.

Steven wrote
    Die Hard 4 Marco Beltrami

My favourite Beltrami album. Not as good as Kamen's scores, but it gets more plays from me than all three of Kamen's scores put together.

Absolutely! Last really good Beltrami effort so far? I think so!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Tintin wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Tintin wrote
    What bothers you about the sound? Synths-augmented parts?

It's thin, tinny, wimpy, no low ends, the trumpets sound like cheap 90's Zimmer synths, most of the percussion sounds fake, the layered synths, etc. It's sounds lifeless and cheap.

-Erik-

I know what you mean. I always wonder why Powell feels that he needs to slap layers of synths on top of the string sections.

Because he has an RC background perhaps?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The score is one of my all-time favorites, but I wonder if the Zimmer references don't take the milestone character out of it.

Factually, it's ages ahead whatever Zimmer ever wrote, as much as i love for instance THE THIN RED LINE and GLADIATOR. I don't hear so many Zimmer references in it, really. If i had to pick one score that POTC is influenced from, that would definitely be PETER GABRIEL's PASSION which is a great work in its time as well, but certainly not something by Zimmer. Still however, he IS pretty much in the modern wave of film scoring that wants this kind of scores filled with long, big and bold dramatic chord processions, part of which was formed and influenced by Zimmer post-2000 indeed, but still i think POTC has too much original elements in it to be linked directly to any other score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Mickey mousing-filled? Thanks for saving me an hour of my life with this warning.
  4. Technically, yes, but there is some air of Black Hawk Down's darkness.

To me it's a mix of Black Hawk Down and Peter Gabriel with lots of heart, technical capability and thought. It's not a copycat by no means, but the influences are there, I think.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Passion of the Christ is one of the most recent film music classics. Give it an opportunity and watch the movie as well.

I did, and I really disliked it.
    The very Catholic take on pain and blood and suffering served only to annoy me (or at worst desensitized me to the level of making a drinking game out of Jesus stumbling..."there he goes again! Drink up!") rather than make me feel ennobled or humble.

Honestly. Not a patch on King Of Kings.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, but the music worked flawlessly in there and elevated it completely. If you also caught the opportunity of hearing the score's true graces in its passion of the christ symphony form, you'd agree with me i believe smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

My favourite Beltrami album. Not as good as Kamen's scores, but it gets more plays from me than all three of Kamen's scores put together.

Eh? 3:10 to Yuma, Knowing...

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2010 edited
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Aliens - James Horner

It's funny, you absolutely love Avatar and discovered Aliens only now.

I started this mad obsession thanks to the amazing Aliens and found Avatar only lukewarm. Good in places though miles away from Aliens, due to Avatar's unoriginal nature.

So going from new to the old holds good results, going from the old to the new does not...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah, but the music worked flawlessly in there and elevated it completely.

Meh.
    Here too I prefer King Of Kings (although I do enjoy Debney's work a lot! But I can't say it "elevated" the film. I like it in spite of the film).

If you also caught the opportunity of hearing the score's true graces in its passion of the christ symphony form, you'd agree with me i believe smile

I did.
    And I don't.
    smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

Eh? 3:10 to Yuma, Knowing...

-Erik-

Well, i should have clarified that i meant on the bombast level of Beltramisms wink

I like those, but they're not on the enjoyment level of DIE HARD 4, at least for me. That's the kind of Beltrami i love, and miss.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah, but the music worked flawlessly in there and elevated it completely.

Meh.
    Here too I prefer King Of Kings (although I do enjoy Debney's work a lot! But I can't say it "elevated" the film. I like it in spite of the film).

If you also caught the opportunity of hearing the score's true graces in its passion of the christ symphony form, you'd agree with me i believe smile

I did.
    And I don't.
    smile

Wait a minute, weren't you telling 2 pages back how much you under-appreciated this score and how good it actually is? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Absolutely!
    But I didn't like the movie NOR does the music have any particular spiritual meaning or power to me.
    I just think it's a corking good soundtrack.

If that is what you meant as well, my apologies!
  5. Balto - James Horner

Not one I put on regularly and that's because I just don't love it as much as some of you. It has nice themes, but I find its recording and orchestrations a little on the mellow side, if I compare that to the brilliant 'Land Before Time' I know which one I'm more likely to play. But by Horner-standards this is a refreshing and highly original score, without too much of his trademarks. Not bad, but this is my least-favourite animated score from him.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.