• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2010
    Martijn wrote
    Absolutely!
    But I didn't like the movie NOR does the music have any particular spiritual meaning or power to me.
    I just think it's a corking good soundtrack.

I can understand that beer It's all down to one's faith (or lack of it), personal experiences and character. The movie touched me a lot it seems.

The music though, even if you look at it as unbiased as one cans, is absolutely masterful in my opinion. Kudos to Debney.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Balto - James Horner

Not one I put on regularly and that's because I just don't love it as much as some of you. It has nice themes, but I find its recording and orchestrations a little on the mellow side, if I compare that to the brilliant 'Land Before Time' I know which one I'm more likely to play. But by Horner-standards this is a refreshing and highly original score, without too much of his trademarks. Not bad, but this is my least-favourite animated score from him.

I fear you are now a dead man walking.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    I can understand that beer It's all down to one's faith (or lack of it), personal experiences and character. The movie touched me a lot it seems.

As did King Of Kings me.
    Yet I lack any kind of religious faith.
    It's really as simple as the fact that the enormous emphasis in The Passion on blood and suffering (again: a [i]very[/] Catholic way of looking at things) repelled and annoyed me.

The music though, even if you look at it as unbiased as one cans, is absolutely masterful in my opinion. Kudos to Debney.

Can't disagree! beer
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Balto - James Horner

Not one I put on regularly and that's because I just don't love it as much as some of you. It has nice themes, but I find its recording and orchestrations a little on the mellow side, if I compare that to the brilliant 'Land Before Time' I know which one I'm more likely to play. But by Horner-standards this is a refreshing and highly original score, without too much of his trademarks. Not bad, but this is my least-favourite animated score from him.

Yeah, no kidding.

Mellow recording and orchestrations? uhm Are you sure you're listening to the right score?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Are you sure you're listening to the right score?

I imagine this line delivered in a clear Ming The Merciless tone of voice.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Balto - James Horner

Yeah, no kidding.

Mellow recording and orchestrations? uhm Are you sure you're listening to the right score?

Pretty sure I am, it's the one with the wolf looking all butch on the cover right? And there's an angry one in the corner beneath, and a smiling goose on the right. Am I right? dizzy

Oh and there are some letters too: B, A, L, T and O. So are you saying it isn't that one? tongue

Dead man walking it is then. Just make me wait for someone to release Trek III and I'll be on my way.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    Are you sure you're listening to the right score?

I imagine this line delivered in a clear Ming The Merciless tone of voice.

Or the Abominable Dr. Phibes.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah, but the music worked flawlessly in there and elevated it completely. If you also caught the opportunity of hearing the score's true graces in its passion of the christ symphony form, you'd agree with me i believe smile

I took another look at The Passion and it really blew me away. While the whipping and torture scenes could have been dialed down a bit I'm glad that Gibson decided to go down that route and really show us Jesus' pain and suffering.

The score is magnificent and without the music the film wouldn't have worked on an emotional level. Mary Goes To Jesus had me in tears but mainly because of personal reasons... not so much religious reasons... and of course Debney's score. I'm not religious whatsoever but I put myself in Mary's shoes and thought what if this was Liam going through this. The flashback shot to Mary comforting Jesus as a boy brought tears to my eyes and Debney's score captured Mary's suffering perfectly. Debney's score from the moment Jesus began carrying the cross is sublime! However, how many times did we need to see Jesus falling in slow motion? It started to get laughable. Besides that... and of course the overdose of violence... the film is wonderfully made and Debney really out did himself. One of his top scores for sure! And the Passion Symphony is brilliant!

NP: The Passion of the Christ - John Debney

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Balto - James Horner

Yeah, no kidding.

This score has a terribly low line-level on the CD for some reason. If you are playing the CD directly you have to turn the volume way up to get the same level as a normal recording. So if that's what he means by mellow recording, then he is completely right. I didn't get the full appreciation for this score until I listened to it properly replay-gained on my computer.

NP: a track called "Nate Sails Off / Nate Is Shipwrecked / The Rona Turns About" from Jones' Nate and Hayes. The track is only 1:24 long. How did that much happen in the movie in a minute and twenty-four seconds?? smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well, i should have clarified that i meant on the bombast level of Beltramisms wink

I like those, but they're not on the enjoyment level of DIE HARD 4, at least for me. That's the kind of Beltrami i love, and miss.

Sorry to say but besides "The F-35" cue the rest of the score bores me. It's the same tone and same action cue over and over again for over an hour. I'd rather listen to Kamen's scores.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah, but the music worked flawlessly in there and elevated it completely. If you also caught the opportunity of hearing the score's true graces in its passion of the christ symphony form, you'd agree with me i believe smile

I took another look at The Passion and it really blew me away. While the whipping and torture scenes could have been dialed down a bit I'm glad that Gibson decided to go down that route and really show us Jesus' pain and suffering.

The score is magnificent and without the music the film wouldn't have worked on an emotional level. Mary Goes To Jesus had me in tears but mainly because of personal reasons... not so much religious reasons... and of course Debney's score. I'm not religious whatsoever but I put myself in Mary's shoes and thought what if this was Liam going through this. The flashback shot to Mary comforting Jesus as a boy brought tears to my eyes and Debney's score captured Mary's suffering perfectly. Debney's score from the moment Jesus began carrying the cross is sublime! However, how many times did we need to see Jesus falling in slow motion? It started to get laughable. Besides that... and of course the overdose of violence... the film is wonderfully made and Debney really out did himself. One of his top scores for sure! And the Passion Symphony is brilliant!

NP: The Passion of the Christ - John Debney

-Erik-

Can't tell you how much i loved this post; agree with everything, 100%. Passion of the christ's music is a milestone (for me the movie's too, but i can see how this, the film, won't appeal to everyone). The score however, is a modern classic. Easily defined as such.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Do my eyes deceive me? Erik is talking about religion?

Jesus. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2010 edited
    And that's all I'm going to say on the subject!

Christ! tongue

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    In that case, you can watch Mel Gibson's apology to the Jews for closure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    The Passion of the Christ, for me, has brilliant, hypnotizing cinematic moments (the garden of Gethsemane, some of the flashbacks) and the brutal and unflinching nature of the film really undid the almost 'iconic' nature of the story for me. I'd heard it so many times, it just became a routine, you stop realizing the amount of suffering Jesus had to endure. So in a way, it gave the weight back to the story. But there's an unsettling sadistic nature to the film that's really too much and puts me off. The score, however, gives this same emotional weight as well and that's really all I need from this whole project. However, kudos to Gibson to really shoot it in Hebrew and Latin, a bold move I can only applaude.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    BobdH wrote
    brutal and unflinching... there's an unsettling sadistic nature to the film...

Huh, I might have to check this one out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Steven wrote
    BobdH wrote
    brutal and unflinching... there's an unsettling sadistic nature to the film...

Huh, I might have to check this one out.

And then there's Monica Belluci!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah, she's not bad for an older broad.
  2. Timmer wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Aliens - James Horner

Just when I thought that this man couldn't possibly impress me anymore than he has, I listen to this...now I know where parts of Avatar came from...(not that that diminishes the latter though).

Are you a new listener to the ALIENS score Kevin?

I'm only just starting to listen to some of Horner's 80s music. It's kinda sad he hasn't been as balls-out with the orchestra since then. I also just downloaded Krull and Something Wicked This Way Comes, so we'll see how they turn out.
  3. DreamTheater wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Aliens - James Horner

Just when I thought that this man couldn't possibly impress me anymore than he has, I listen to this...now I know where parts of Avatar came from...(not that that diminishes the latter though).

It's funny, you absolutely love Avatar and discovered Aliens only now.

I started this mad obsession thanks to the amazing Aliens and found Avatar only lukewarm. Good in places though miles away from Aliens, due to Avatar's unoriginal nature.

So going from new to the old holds good results, going from the old to the new does not...

I only made the connection because I listened to the track "Quaritch Down" and towards the last 60 seconds, the music shifted to something out of a scifi/horror film. I only just guessed it was from Aliens, and sure enough I was right...
  4. BobdH wrote
    The Passion of the Christ, for me, has brilliant, hypnotizing cinematic moments (the garden of Gethsemane, some of the flashbacks) and the brutal and unflinching nature of the film really undid the almost 'iconic' nature of the story for me. I'd heard it so many times, it just became a routine, you stop realizing the amount of suffering Jesus had to endure. So in a way, it gave the weight back to the story. But there's an unsettling sadistic nature to the film that's really too much and puts me off. The score, however, gives this same emotional weight as well and that's really all I need from this whole project. However, kudos to Gibson to really shoot it in Hebrew and Latin, a bold move I can only applaude.

Passion of the Christ, to me, is the perfect movie/score combination. I've never seen a more visceral, gutwrenching film (well, maybe Seven Pounds). I'm sad that Debney didn't get any Oscar love with it...Anyway, I make it a Good Friday/Easter tradition to watch it every year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    How many Horner scores do you have, Kevin? It's always great to hear about noobs discovering these classic scores that most of us have been listening to for years!

BTW, Kevin, hunt down The Journey of Natty Gann. One of my all time favorite Horner scores! Thanks Intrada!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Aliens - James Horner

Are you a new listener to the ALIENS score Kevin?

I'm only just starting to listen to some of Horner's 80s music. It's kinda sad he hasn't been as balls-out with the orchestra since then. I also just downloaded Krull and Something Wicked This Way Comes, so we'll see how they turn out.

Good choices, I'll add The Journey of Natty Gann ( as Erik said ), Cocoon, Brainstorm, Star Trek's II & III, Willow....
  5. I've listened to exactly 30 and counting...Please don't ask me to pick a favorite, because it's next to impossible at this point.

I'm looking forward to listening to Krull next.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    KRRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLL!!!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    James Horner!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    The main theme of Natty Gann is on my short list of all time favorite themes ever. One of the most simultaneously rousing and haunting pieces of music I have ever heard.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin applause

^
    to Erik's post....darn! I'm just going to quote everytime from now on.
  6. Well, I guess I could rank some of my all-time favorites. Out of the 30+ (which outpaces even all the Thomas Newman scores I've listened to), I'd consider A Beautiful Mind, Avatar, House of Sand and Fog, Apollo 13, and Titanic as the top of the pack.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Sneakers - James Horner

Too Many Secrets... tongue

-Erik-