• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2010
    LeHah wrote
    Thor, I'm sticking you back on the ignore list. I can't stand the worthless drivel that you exist as. I honestly hope you meet a bad end because nothing you've done for this board has been a positive experience.

dizzy

Harsh! Is that for real?!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes. Very real.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    If I'm listening to a pre-60s score and enjoying it, with me you're best off assuming I'm listening to a rerecording. wink

But of course face-palm-mt I'm the same, I find it very hard to listen to archival recordings however good the music is.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Some recordings that sounds 'old' I'm fine with, like Jaws for example. For me, it's part of the experience and the charm. But then Jaws isn't really that old, it's the Golden Age (and a few Silver Age) OSTs that I just can't enjoy. They generally have to be rerecordings.
  1. christopher wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: The Upside of Anger (Desplat)

A gorgeous score. One of his most emotionally rewarding?

Definitely. And overlooked too.

Is this score availalbe for purchase anywhere? The only place I could find it was itunes, but then it said that it wasn't available for purchas in the U.S. Weird. I've heard others praise this score in the past, but everytimes I've tried to find it I've not been able to.

Back in the old days when iTunes was young, I got someone to buy this for me, burn it to a disc, and mail it to me.

NP: Et Apres / Afterwards (Desplat)

This is a wonderful score. One of the best of his from last year?! How did I forget how good it was. The best stuff is the material like 'Crossroads'. There's a bit of temp track stuff, but mostly a great entry in his body of work.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote

Back in the old days when iTunes was young, I got someone to buy this for me, burn it to a disc, and mail it to me.

How quaint!
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    christopher wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Is this score availalbe for purchase anywhere? The only place I could find it was itunes, but then it said that it wasn't available for purchas in the U.S. Weird. I've heard others praise this score in the past, but everytimes I've tried to find it I've not been able to.

It's listed as available for download on Amazon, but I haven't actually tried it to see if it works

http://www.amazon.com/Upside-Of-Anger-O … amp;sr=8-1
  2. Gershwin Fantasy George Gershwin

With the news today that Spielberg might possibly direct a film about Gershwin it seemed like the prefect excuse to give this terrific John Williams disc a spin. It features wonderful arrangements of some classic music (Although I don't think Williams did any of these arrangements himself) featuring great performances by the LSO, Joshua Bell and on 3 tracks Williams himself on Piano. Other than the iTunes exclusive "Memoirs of a Geisha" tracks are there any other recordings from the last 30 years which feature Williams performing the piano parts himself?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2010 edited
    Steven wrote
    Alexander Nevsky Sergei Prokofiev

An essential score to any serious score fan. (Unless of course you don't like it.)

Indeed, but i remember the sound quality being awful? Is there a re-recording available?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    christopher wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

NP: Et Apres / Afterwards (Desplat)

This is a wonderful score. One of the best of his from last year?! How did I forget how good it was. The best stuff is the material like 'Crossroads'. There's a bit of temp track stuff, but mostly a great entry in his body of work.

Indeed, and the main theme is pretty beautiful. A great showcase of what's so splendid with Desplat's music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    LeHah wrote
    Thor, I'm sticking you back on the ignore list. I can't stand the worthless drivel that you exist as. I honestly hope you meet a bad end because nothing you've done for this board has been a positive experience.

dizzy

FSM for you.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

An essential score to any serious score fan. (Unless of course you don't like it.)

Indeed, but i remember the sound quality being awful? Is there a re-recording available?

There's loads of them.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    LeHah wrote

dizzy

FSM for you.

....coming to a forum near you soon wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote

LeHah wrote

Honestly just one fitting remark comes to mind.
    Well, rather a string of fitting remarks.
    Or rather a particular style.

Ah.
    That took care of a lot of pent-up rage. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

There's loads of them.

Which would you recommend?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

LeHah wrote

Honestly just one fitting remark comes to mind.
    Well, rather a string of fitting remarks.
    Or rather a particular style.

Ah.
    That took care of a lot of pent-up rage. slant

Some people in fsm can be very creepy at times. Mr. Leehah is one excellent sample of those. Gosh i am glad i left that place but i am sorry to say that Thor shows signals of actually being into S&M. And by that i don't mean metallica's album with Michael Kamen wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    One of the recordings of the Cantata which is a far better listen than the actual film score.

Personally i like Claudio Abaddo's version.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Steven wrote
    LeHah wrote

dizzy

Holy fuck!? confused

NP: Confuziness by SlammedHead

WTF!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    NP: The NeverEnding Story - Klaus Doldinger

I love this score. One of my most played scores recently. I am listening to the original compositions, not the remixes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

There's loads of them.

Which would you recommend?

I was listening to the St. Petersburg Philharmonic Orchestra performance from 1996, conducted by Dmitri Vasiliev, and it is nothing short of awesome.
  3. Katiek wrote
    It's listed as available for download on Amazon, but I haven't actually tried it to see if it works

http://www.amazon.com/Upside-Of-Anger-O … amp;sr=8-1

Thanks so much, Katie!
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2010
    NP: Muppet Treasure Island - Hans Zimmer

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Home Alone - John Williams

Snow in Tokyo, a good day to play The Nutcracker. wink
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2010 edited
    Panthera wrote
    NP: The NeverEnding Story - Klaus Doldinger

I love this score. One of my most played scores recently. I am listening to the original compositions, not the remixes.

Remixes? I think maybe you mean the score where half of it was replaced by Giorgio Moroder and a pop song by Limahl.

I have the Doldinger CD as well and it's great. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I kinda like that song. It's extremely nostalgic to me. shame

I don't think I've actually ever heard the Doldinger score?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I promessi sposi - Ennio Morricone

A rather hard-to-find soundtrack CD but it was definitely worth the price I paid for it. Beautiful, stunning music and there are so many themes in it! I love it! punk
  4. A Christmas Carol (Alan Silvestri)

Not as sublime as the 'The Polar Express' but still a very worthy addition in my collection, a very good score that shows longer albums don't always make better albums. But why no CD-release? Still I made my very own CD, I'm old-fashioned that way. This is Silvestri in his super creative form unlike some other composers I love.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2010 edited
    lp wrote

So, you'd pick KA instead? I think, in the end, it's not as impressive to me as The Peacemaker is. Though it feels more of a descendant of The Rock and Gladiator, in how it's using the simple anthemic, Gladiator-inspired material over percussion, as oppose to the more complicated orchestral narrative writing in The Peacemaker.

Nope. I don't pick KA. and I couldn't agree more about the narrative writting you talk about. In fact, Zimmer doesn't use to compose in the narrative way. He is more about suites or force his music into the scenes.

Peacemaker is his more complex action composition, and it's composed in a narrative way because he worked hard for Dreamworks fist film, and because it was before the succes of Gladiator.

In the other hand, Peacemaker has this militaristic stuff and this male chorus that was hyper used in MV glory days (Crimson tide, The Rock) , and I heard this style so much in my young days as score fan, that now I find it a little bit boring.

King Arthur is a far more simplistic score, but it has exotic and new age orchestrations, and it's sooooo cool!

I don't know man. BOTH!

NP:LOST (Giacchino)

My own compiltion.

1 day , dude!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Koro's Big Day Out - Yuji Nomi

Small but lovely, like the puppy on the booklet.

I want his music more!
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Miya wrote
    NP: Koro's Big Day Out - Yuji Nomi

Small but lovely, like the puppy on the booklet.

Careful, you'll give Demetris the wrong idea.