• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2010
    Nautilus wrote

I have problems with this trilogy. The action stuff annoys me, and the "wagnerian" notes really bores me.

Truly, this emoticon was made for this occasion:

face-palm-mt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2010
    No.
    This one was: kill
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2010 edited
    These will do...

Dance Jordi kill bhangra DANCE!!! kill fireworks bhangra
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2010
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Well...I must admit that I'm with Jordi in this. The music of the LOTR trilogy has never managed to become one of my favourites. There are some very good parts in them but I also find the CDs a bit boring and only a couple of melodies memorable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    keky wrote
    ...but I also find the CDs a bit boring and only a couple of melodies memorable.

biggrin

Brilliant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote

I have problems with this trilogy. The action stuff annoys me, and the "wagnerian" notes really bores me.

face-palm-mt

Please, Please....come to Ubeda. I pay you the ticket.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin

You're gonna make him run through the streets of Pamplona aren't you, Jordi?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Martijn wrote
    biggrin

Yes, but not with his legs. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Animal Farm - Richard Harvey
    This is such a fun score punk
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. Eric wrote
    Breakheart Pass - Jerry Goldsmith

A fantastic and catchy Main Theme but some of the other tracks sound a bit generic in comparison .
    But when Mr. Goldsmith adapts that same Main Title idea into some of the non-title portions of the score , it delivers BIG time !

hehe, how fun, I've listened to it as well today
    the main theme is again typical Jerry Goldsmith fun, but without the theme the score is indeed rather boring
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote

face-palm-mt

Please, Please....come to Ubeda. I pay you the ticket.

biggrin

I'll splash out on ringside for this.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    Martijn wrote
    biggrin

Jordi's on a roll shocked biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Angels And Demons (Zimmer)

One of the purest Zimmer scores in his post Gladiator era.

You have the GORGEOUS themes from The Da Vinci Code and the CRAZY synthetic stuff from Broken Arrow.

the first 50 seconds of "god particle" are scorergasmic!

The soundscape created for this 2 scores is faaaaaaaaar more interesting than what he created for batman saga.

PS:I still consider "Science and Religion" the less interesting
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Timmer wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Martijn wrote
    biggrin

Jordi's on a roll shocked biggrin

biggrin biggrin biggrin

THE MISSION | ennio morricone

Hihi.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Wonder Woman - Christopher Drake

First listen. shocked Epic! Drake has written some superb music for DC Comics and this could be the best one. Massive synth symphony (sounds great), huge chorus, epic battle cues, great themes.... AWESOME! AWESOME! AWESOME! Surprise of the year for me so far!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Erik Woods wrote

It is good isn't it! I remember downloading a suite from somewhere (his website?) and I really enjoyed hearing more of his stuff.

NP: The North Star - Aaron Copland

First listen. I've no idea what this film's about. A subdued score so far - which I like.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2010 edited
    JP: GREEN ZONE - John Powell

Unrelenting, raw and unthematic, this is certainly a challenging listening experience. Heavy on percussion, light on melody or color and often monotone, it sometimes feels like the agressive bigger brother of UNITED 93. Like that score, it leaves the impression Powell didn't just throw this together. It's well thought out, despite it's harshness, and has a certain tragic feel in the stringlines buried beneath the drums.

It's what makes this, also like U93, an intense listen, though sometimes not as engaging. Maybe it could've done with a few more thematic touches, but the utter lack of sentimentality and sheer brutality so needed for the film make this impressive nonetheless.

Definitely not for everyone, but as a composition for it's film, another winner from Powell. And exactly what I was hoping for from this project.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

It is good isn't it! I remember downloading a suite from somewhere (his website?) and I really enjoyed hearing more of his stuff.

OH MY GOD YES! I'm most definitely redoing my Best of 2009 list! This is one SPECTACULAR score! Get the album while you can. It's a 1200 copy limited edition.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    NP: On Her Majesty's Secret Service - John Barry

With all the great action scoring in this score, it's easy to forget the mellow vibe of the likes of "Try".

cool
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Try is a lovely track, Barry did an even cooler version on one of his 1960's albums with more emphasis on that slinky, jazzy flute.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Virus - Joel McNeely

An underrated score from Joel McNeely injected with a lot of Goldsmith styled action material. The end credit suite is one of my all time favorites featuring large Russian male chorus!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    BobdH wrote
    Maybe it could've done with a few more thematic touches, but the utter lack of sentimentality and sheer brutality so needed for the film make this impressive nonetheless.

Exactly.

BobdH wrote
    Definitely not for everyone, but as a composition for it's film, another winner from Powell. And exactly what I was hoping for from this project.

Indeed. As a FILM composition (I mean IN the film), Green Zone is Flawless. I enjoy it isolated from the film though, but I perfectly understand those who doesn´t.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote

An underrated score from Joel McNeely injected with a lot of Goldsmith styled action material. The end credit suite is one of my all time favorites featuring large Russian male chorus!

-Erik-

I thought I was the only one.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  3. NP: RoboCop - Basil Poledouris

I'm listening to the clips over at Intrada at the moment and even these clips sound much better than what's been released before! Really looking forward to hearing it in pristine sound. And it's great to hear the brilliant first statement(?) of the RoboCop theme in the cue "Drive Montage".

I'm off to listen to the version that's been available to date - plus the end credits suite I ripped off the DVD - in preparation for the arrival of this new version.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I thought I was the only one.

Nope. BTW, I just picked up on the Kamen/Die Hard-plucked-strings-McClane-sneaking-around-Nakatomi quotes and Silvestri's Back To The Future/Predator suspense music!

-Erik-
  4. BobdH wrote

Unrelenting, raw and unthematic, this is certainly a challenging listening experience. Heavy on percussion, light on melody or color and often monotone, it sometimes feels like the agressive bigger brother of UNITED 93. Like that score, it leaves the impression Powell didn't just throw this together. It's well thought out, despite it's harshness, and has a certain tragic feel in the stringlines buried beneath the drums.

It's what makes this, also like U93, an intense listen, though sometimes not as engaging. Maybe it could've done with a few more thematic touches, but the utter lack of sentimentality and sheer brutality so needed for the film make this impressive nonetheless.

I love this score. What is particularly interesting is that while the score basically has NO theme, it still remains hugely harmonious. Brilliant idea.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky

I'm listening to the complete version, I'm halfway into it but I have to tell you that I haven't met a single track so far that I would miss from the official release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    The good stuff is mostly in disc 3. smile Though I also like the Thanator Chase cue from disc 1.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: RoboCop - Basil Poledouris

I'm listening to the clips over at Intrada at the moment and even these clips sound much better than what's been released before! Really looking forward to hearing it in pristine sound. And it's great to hear the brilliant first statement(?) of the RoboCop theme in the cue "Drive Montage".

I'm off to listen to the version that's been available to date - plus the end credits suite I ripped off the DVD - in preparation for the arrival of this new version.

Interesting approach.
    Me, I won't listen to any of it (original release or any of the clips) until the CD has arrived, savouring the very first listen of a worthwhile expanded release.

Of course it may help I know the score (as represented on CD) so very well, having owned it for twenty years, so that I don't need a reminder, but I am really trying to recreate that excitement of a first-time listen. smile