• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2010 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Eric wrote
    The Pacific - Hans Zimmer , Geoff Zanelli & Blake Neely

Very first listen ...

And?

My first was my last smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2010
    HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON | john powell

An odd thing this is. My first listen was very enjoyable and the main theme really sticked (as did the coolish friendship theme too), but the second listen was less fun. It was too much. dizzy It IS a long score though. Interesting that we can say it contains a Powell-ish main theme. It's true, but I wouldn't be able to describe!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I haven't been able to complete a 2nd listen yet shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregt wrote
    HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON | john powell

An odd thing this is. My first listen was very enjoyable and the main theme really sticked (as did the coolish friendship theme too), but the second listen was less fun. It was too much. dizzy It IS a long score though. Interesting that we can say it contains a Powell-ish main theme. It's true, but I wouldn't be able to describe!

I've pretty much had a complete turn around with my opinion on it. Yeah, it's nothing new from Powell [spoiler]and the mixing is not so great[/spoiler], but it's very enjoyable! The album is too long, so I listen to my shortened version instead which, in my opinion, makes for a much better listen.

It certainly gets my vote. (Though not a 5 star vote. wink)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    I haven't been able to complete a 2nd listen yet shame

I do recommend listening to a shorter playlist of the score in that case. Give it another try for the sake of giving it another try, and if you still can't stand it, fair enough I guess!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I admit i haven't given a chance to the shorter list yet!
  1. Taking a short break from Horner/Newman/Williams with...

Girl With a Pearl Earring - Alexandre Desplat

I'm only 3 tracks in, but I'm liking what I'm hearing so far. "Griet's Theme" is a highlight.
  2. ... "The Birth Feast" is another highlight...Oh my God, it is such a highlight!!
  3. All done now. Overall, I'm pretty impressed. With this, The Queen, Benjamin Button, and The Painted Veil, Desplat is becoming one of my new favorite composers. smile smile smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2010
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    All done now. Overall, I'm pretty impressed. With this, The Queen, Benjamin Button, and The Painted Veil, Desplat is becoming one of my new favorite composers. smile smile smile

And rightly so! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Eric wrote

Very first listen ...

And?

Mmm , not shure what to think of it yet . Lots of quiet , softer tracks on this one . Not much action music .
    Don't think much of the Main Theme yet - the Band of Brothers one I loved immediately . Gonna give it a
    few more listens before I cast a final judgement ... wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Eric wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Eric wrote

Very first listen ...

And?

Mmm , not shure what to think of it yet . Lots of quiet , softer tracks on this one . Not much action music .
    Don't think much of the Main Theme yet - the Band of Brothers one I loved immediately . Gonna give it a
    few more listens before I cast a final judgement ... wink

Most (if not all) of the action sequences of the show are not scored, so it's normal there is not much action music. As for the main theme, great variations of it (at least in the show) and as memorable as Kamen´s Band of Brothers or more; a very good theme for the end credits, Leckie's Theme (and its variations), powerful dramatic and solemn writing. Great work by the three composers.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Secret in Their Eyes Kauderer and Jusid. Overall it is a very good score but definitely on the somber side. I've yet to see the movie but am looking forward to it. The film was the academy award winner for best foreign language film.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2010 edited
    NP: X-men : the Last Stand Complete (John Powell)

One of the most complex and thematically rich super heroes scores ever.

While i don't find the action stuff so energic and dinamic than other Powell's scores, it's where this score really rocks.

Every time the phoenix's theme or the xmen march appears is scorergasmic!
  4. Nautilus wrote
    NP: X-men : the Last Stand Complete (John Powell)

One of the most complex and thematically rich super heroes scores ever.

While i don't find the action stuff so energic and dinamic than other Powell's scores, it's where this score really rocks.

Every time the phoenix's theme or the xmen march appears is scorergasmic!

I agree. The Phoenix theme is one of the best themes I've heard this decade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I think the Phoenix theme is up there with the all time greats!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Mmm.....Erik agrees with Jordi. Something is going to happen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote

But he is not agree about what I said about the action writting of this score tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    Marselus wrote

But he is not agree about what I said about the action writting of this score tongue

Don't push your luck...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Marselus wrote

I love the action writing. It's organized chaos... especially "Entering The House - Dark Phoenix's Tragedy." With so much stuff going on during that action sequence Powell captures the chaos and the beauty of the scene perfectly. And "The Finale Battle" again brilliant captures the chaos of the many battles going on in the final act all ending again with a gorgeous statement of Phoenix's Theme. Powell wrote one of his all time best scores for X-Men 3.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Jerry Goldsmith Tribute Concert (Geneva 2005) conducted by Dirk Brossé, performed by the Orchestre de la Suisse Romande

I found this floating on the net: this sounds like an an unofficial recording of the 2005 Geneva concert because the sound quality is just passable, and at times I can hear some guy humming to the tunes, but what's on offer here makes me reminisce back to that one time when Goldsmith music was performed live gloriously in our shitty little country, also in 2005. The playlist isn't all that different and I do vividly remember the brilliant performances of Star Trek: TMP, The Generals suite, Supergirl among others. For audio-nuts the sound quality will most likely be horrible, for someone like me it isn't bad and I do enjoy the rousing concert versions of the following:

Star Trek: TMP
    Masada
    Motion Picture Medley: 18 minutes long !!!!
    Planet of the Apes
    The Generals
    The Twilight Zone
    Wild Rovers
    Forever Young
    Mulan
    Looney Tunes: Back in Action
    Supergirl
    Soarin' Over California: don't know what this is. confused
    Encore: Star Trek: TMP

A nice list and I heard some things I never heard before.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Marselus wrote

I love the action writing. It's organized chaos... especially "Entering The House - Dark Phoenix's Tragedy." With so much stuff going on during that action sequence Powell captures the chaos and the beauty of the scene perfectly. And "The Finale Battle" again brilliant captures the chaos of the many battles going on in the final act all ending again with a gorgeous statement of Phoenix's Theme. Powell wrote one of his all time best scores for X-Men 3.

-Erik-

I couldn't have said it better. I especially love the choral writing in "Phoenix Rises."

Anyway...

Girl with a Pearl Earring - Alexandre Desplat (again)

I'm falling more and more in love with this score. I'm sad it wasn't nominated for Best Original Score... "Griet's Theme" alone should've qualified it.
  7. DreamTheater wrote
    Soarin' Over California: don't know what this is. confused

That's got to be the music to the Soarin' Over California ride at Disney's California Adventure park. I remember that music being very nice. I was not aware that Goldsmith had written it.
  8. Oh it's lovely alright. Thematic and majestic... It even features the famous wind-machine (from the The Blue Max)

Does it exist on any official recording?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Oh it's lovely alright. Thematic and majestic... It even features the famous wind-machine (from the The Blue Max)

Does it exist on any official recording?

Yes!
    http://www.amazon.com/Disneys-Californi … amp;sr=1-1

-Erik-
  9. And what a bargain...
  10. Crimson Tide (Hans Zimmer)

A muscular musical uppercut of an action score. One of the most enjoyable Hans has ever done, where I'm concerned. The soundscape is pretty much perfect compared to the sheer boredom of something such as The Dark Knight. He has done thematically more interesting, but I just adore this one from begin to end.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2010
    Honey, I Shrunk the Kids - James Horner

Playful, exciting, lyrical - all that I love in a score. A wonderful album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:I am sam (Powell)

One of the few forgotten Powell scores.

Gorgeous stuff!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Forgotten?
    By whom? confused

I love it. love
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn