• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I love Clear and Present Danger, to me it's a totally underrated Horner score.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. I admit I still haven't heard the promo.

Which makes me worst Horner fan in existence.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2010
    DreamTheater wrote
    I admit I still haven't heard the promo.

Here's my playlist if and when you do. Three discs is too much. (Even though my playlist is still almost 2 hours long.)
  3. Ok thanks, I'll give it a listen. If it'll convert me, that's still open to debate.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I suggest you just listen to the promo tracks in that case, rather than the whole thing. Although I can't understand how any Horner fan couldn't like 'War'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2010 edited
    Because "War" is the less Horner track he has ever composed. it is cool, but it's more a mix between Remote Control power Anthems and David Arnold.

NP:Fringe

Orchestral dissonance and electronics? Ohhhhhhhhhhhh yeah! punk

I love this violin effect mixed with electric guitars and electronic percusion.

PS: The theme that reminds me to "lord beckett's" motif from DMC is the one composed by Giacchino.

Next I will Play : Alias (Giacchino)

it reminds me when I was addicted to the show. And I was listening the score doing exercise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    I suggest you just listen to the promo tracks in that case, rather than the whole thing. Although I can't understand how any Horner fan couldn't like 'War'.

I'm a Horner fan and I don't like "War." Also, "The Ambush" from Clear and Present Danger is a far better cue than "War." "The Ambush" showcases Horner's wonderful ability to build up the tension by simply and slowly layering on the instruments before hitting you over the head with the thunderous and gripping action material. A superior cue in every way, shape and form.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

I'm a Horner fan and I don't like "War." Also, "The Ambush" from Clear and Present Danger is a far better cue than "War." "The Ambush" showcases Horner's wonderful ability to build up the tension by simply and slowly layering on the instruments before hitting you over the head with the thunderous and gripping action material. A superior cue in every way, shape and form.

-Erik-

I like War from Avatar. But I couldn't agree more with you about "the ambush" is a faaaaaaaaaar better piece of music, and for sure it's faaaaaaaaaar more Horner.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

-Erik-

I love both. Though I still find it odd how any Horner fan doesn't like 'War'. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Because it's so bloody generic, IMHO!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Generic or not, I think it's awesome.

IMHO. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    It is fun, but the ridiculously generic nature of it outweighs the fun-ness of it IMO.

Why do I agree with Erik so much recently??
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's more than just fun, it's powerful. Who gives a shit if it's "generic". Well, you guys apparently.

Fact™
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I agree with you on the Fact™ness of our decreeing this cue generic. smile
  4. While we're on Horner, I've revisited Aliens. After watching and absolutely loving the movie (Sigourney Weaver is my new favorite actress), I have a whole new appreciation for the score. It really is some of the best suspense/action music I've heard in a while, which is saying a lot.

Oh, and I found "War" an absolute thrill ride also. wink He should really write more choral music.
  5. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    While we're on Horner, I've revisited Aliens. After watching and absolutely loving the movie (Sigourney Weaver is my new favorite actress), I have a whole new appreciation for the score. It really is some of the best suspense/action music I've heard in a while, which is saying a lot.

What did you think of the truncated use of the music in the film? Quite a bunch of cues were split up and used for different scenes, not to mention the two Jerry Goldsmith tracks that do their best to blend in with James' stuff. The music may be butchered up in the movie beyond words, but that doesn't mean they are out of place... In fact I'd say it's one of the best cut and paste jobs I've ever heard in a soundmix. Or maybe I've just gotten used to it over my 30+ plus views of this flick. I honestly stopped counting. dizzy
  6. DreamTheater wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    While we're on Horner, I've revisited Aliens. After watching and absolutely loving the movie (Sigourney Weaver is my new favorite actress), I have a whole new appreciation for the score. It really is some of the best suspense/action music I've heard in a while, which is saying a lot.

What did you think of the truncated use of the music in the film? Quite a bunch of cues were split up and used for different scenes, not to mention the two Jerry Goldsmith tracks that do their best to blend in with James' stuff. The music may be butchered up in the movie beyond words, but that doesn't mean they are out of place... In fact I'd say it's one of the best cut and paste jobs I've ever heard in a soundmix. Or maybe I've just gotten used to it over my 30+ plus views of this flick. I honestly stopped counting. dizzy

I thought I heard a little Goldsmith in the movie. I guess they wanted to reinforce that connection...

I felt that the music worked perfectly in the film. The two scenes in which "Futile Escape" played, [spoiler]Ripley rescuing the trapped marines[/spoiler] and [spoiler]when the aliens broke into the lab[/spoiler] are some of the best-scored sequences I've seen in a movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Oh, and I found "War" an absolute thrill ride also. wink He should really write more choral music.

You should listen to more John Debney action scores then. It's pretty much the same thing. Or, in the case of Cutthroat Island, much much better!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    In terms of how-it-makes-feel-ness, 'War' is up there with anything from CutThroat Island.

*ducks for cover*
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:The Da Vinci code (Zimmer)

Zimmer's masterpiece. DOT.

"Poisoned Chalice" punk punk punk punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    In terms of how-it-makes-feel-ness, 'War' is up there with anything from CutThroat Island.

lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2010
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

lol

Very gracious response Erik wink
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

lol

Actually, I'd agree with that.

(Ducks for cover after firing on both sides...)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

lol

I'm not sure how that's funny, particularly if you take into account the first part of that sentence. You might as well laugh at someone for favouring red over blue! dizzy (Probably a bad example; blue is clearly better than red.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2010 edited
    For "War" to be anywhere in the league of Cutthroat Island's climactic 30 minutes, "War" would have to include a section of melody longer than about twenty seconds...the comparable cues in Cutthroat Island are packed to the brim with wall-to-wall melody. "War" is just like...yay...rhythm loops for 7 minutes...ok now we've "earned" the heroic theme statement...play it once and then it's time to go home. I mean seriously, Horner spent a year and that's all he could come up with??

And no, this is not like color preference at all. The current generation has no right to dismiss the entire history of music just because you've all lost interest in the idea of melody. I mean, you have every right to PREFER tapestries of noise to real music. Just call it what it is, and it isn't music.

Sorry. I really don't like Avatar. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Well I think Avatar is a brilliant score. So there. tongue

Plus I really can't be arsed to write a long argument just to end up at "I disagree."
  8. Scribe wrote
    And no, this is not like color preference at all. The current generation has no right to dismiss the entire history of music just because you've all lost interest in the idea of melody.

Oh bloody hell. Go get elected if you want to take it all that seriously. dizzy

Nothing is more infuriating than a lack of humour. Oh wait, damn!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    franz_conrad wrote
    Scribe wrote
    And no, this is not like color preference at all. The current generation has no right to dismiss the entire history of music just because you've all lost interest in the idea of melody.

Oh bloody hell. Go get elected if you want to take it all that seriously. dizzy

Nothing is more infuriating than a lack of humour. Oh wait, damn!

Sorry. I just sometimes get tired of having to watch the slow erosion of everything I love about film music, everything that brought me to film music in the first place...basically the fact that it is (was?) so much more MUSICAL than all the stuff that everyone else listens to...
  9. The best that ever was in the genre (by the melodic measure) is still there to be enjoyed... the new stuff was always a moveable feast anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Steven wrote
    Well I think Avatar is a brilliant score. So there. tongue

Agreed. I actually like it much more than Cutthroat - but I don't think we have to compare the two.