• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. The Scarlet Letter - John Barry

Just gorgeous, Barry in his super romantic mode. It may be a little too much romantic and soft for some, especially during the first half, however the second half shows some typical suspense and action music, not too dissimilar from Dances With Wolves. I also adore the choral version of Barber's 'Adagio for Strings' which is brilliantly performed. The Scarlet Letter is a wonderful and incredibly soothing experience. I need something like this from time to time to remind me what film music is about: that certain sort of melodies that sticks in your head long after you've seen the film. Except here I never saw the film, which is supposed to be a turkey. How can that be with such a score?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2010
    San Pietro - Marco Frisina

A delight from start to finish. Sweeping and lyrical themes with orchestra and chorus. The usual high quality by Frisina.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Wind Man - Yury Poteyenko

Ever since I doscovered this man's work on Sea Dogs 3: Caribbean Tales, I am taking an interest in his output (which is concentrated on the independent Russian KeepMoving Records label). This score, another fine one, to a Russian film I do not know, is a slightly mournful work (as these eastern European works tend to be), with a very soulful allure: melodic throughout with lovely small combo ochestration. I'm really impressed by this composer: every bar simply exudes professionalism: this man knows what he is doing, what he is writing, and what effect is intended to the listener.

Just now, I have purchased some more of his work (including the original Sea Dogs score), and I look forward to those immensely!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    The Scarlet Letter - John Barry

Just gorgeous, Barry in his super romantic mode. It may be a little too much romantic and soft for some, especially during the first half, however the second half shows some typical suspense and action music, not too dissimilar from Dances With Wolves. I also adore the choral version of Barber's 'Adagio for Strings' which is brilliantly performed. The Scarlet Letter is a wonderful and incredibly soothing experience. I need something like this from time to time to remind me what film music is about: that certain sort of melodies that sticks in your head long after you've seen the film. Except here I never saw the film, which is supposed to be a turkey. How can that be with such a score?

No, it's not a great film but it's also not that bad. The score is lovely!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The score IS lovely! One of the few Barries I revisit often and with great enjoyment!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    keky wrote
    San Pietro - Marco Frisina

A delight from start to finish. Sweeping and lyrical themes with orchestra and chorus. The usual high quality by Frisina.

It leaves one drenched in emotion by the time you get to the end. Top work but I would have liked it to be a shorter presentation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Aida degli alberi - Ennio Morricone

A rare movie type for the Maestro: animation. Of course he does it flawlessly. A very good score with the usual emotional Morricone themes and some playful but short tracks. I even love the songs - why not? They were also written by Morricone.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    The score IS lovely! One of the few Barries I revisit often and with great enjoyment!

Do you like Strawbarries too?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You'll find I think that the proper plural of any word ending in -y is for it to change to -ies.
    I'm assuming the same applies to proper names.

Smart ass.
    angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Martijn wrote
    You'll find I think that the proper plural of any word ending in -y is for it to change to -ies.

Smart ass.
    angry

I'd double check the grammar on that one. I think Tim might be right.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Dragonslayer for a review. This is one tough one for me.
    Thomas
  2. Martijn wrote

Smart ass.
    angry

biggrin

I assume Tim has enough Barries in his collection to know what he's talking about.

Now that I think about it, how many Elfmen do you have Martijn?

cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier"
    Jerry Goldsmith

Those damn threads where it was mentioned supposeldy rumor were an expanded edition might be in the works, got me thinking about the score so much I just couldn't hold out any longer and had to pop it in.
    One of my personal favorite scores, and I like to think one of Jerry's best.

Next up: "Stargate: The Ark of Truth" (Joel Goldsmith)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. justin boggan wrote
    "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier"
    Jerry Goldsmith

Those damn threads where it was mentioned supposeldy rumor were an expanded edition might be in the works, got me thinking about the score so much I just couldn't hold out any longer and had to pop it in.

I love it too, I rate it just below TMP. That uplifting ethereal theme right after the Trek theme always gets to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2010 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Jerry Goldsmith

I love it too, I rate it just below TMP. That uplifting ethereal theme right after the Trek theme always gets to me.

Nah! it has a couple of good tracks but it suffers of too many ideas into a 40 minutes realease

"God's theme" is particuraly annoying (those synths... crazy )

Give me Insurrection and First Contact any day.

NP: Star Trek V (Goldsmith)

tongue

The 2 action tracks rocks!

Why I had to see the movie???? crazy crazy crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DreamTheater wrote
    Now that I think about it, how many Elfmen do you have Martijn?

applause
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Martijn wrote

Smart ass.
    angry

Thomas

Very dry biggrin
  5. Nautilus wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Jerry Goldsmith

Nah! it has a couple of good tracks but it suffers of too many ideas into a 40 minutes realease

I'd rather have too many ideas than too few. rolleyes

"God's theme" is particuraly annoying (those synths... crazy )

Goldsmith synths you either love or hate. I love 'em and they have their purpose.

Give me Insurrection and First Contact any day.

I can relate to that. But I still prefer the melodies of The Final Frontier.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Green Zone John Powell

Very enjoyable to have on in the background when you're in the mood. One of Powell's least 'accessible' scores, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    Martijn wrote

Smart ass.
    angry

Thomas

It's worse than that, he is right.
    While there is some debate, most sources seem to agree that proper names are the exception to the -y/-ies rule, and simply get an -s tagged on at the end.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    and in this case it is 's also
  6. Martijn wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Martijn wrote

Smart ass.
    angry

Thomas

It's worse than that, he is right.
    While there is some debate, most sources seem to agree that proper names are the exception to the -y/-ies rule, and simply get an -s tagged on at the end.

Well Tim should be right, he is the most English speaking person of you two... tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    and in this case it is 's also

Alas, it is not.
    For a plural the ending apostroph-s is never, EVER used in ANY circumstance. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2010 edited
    Sherlock Holmes reminded me...

NP: Broken Arrow (Hans Zimmer)

The first score I bought. I remember calling to the music shops asking for this CD.

When the techno, the electric guitars and the chorus are played together i have several orgasms.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DreamTheater wrote
    Well Tim should be right, he is the most English speaking person of you two... tongue

It was a test. He passed.
    I will keep my eye on him though.
  7. Nautilus wrote
    NP: Broken Arrow (Hans Zimmer)

The first score I bought. I remember calling to the music shops asking for this CD.

When the techno, the electric guitars and the chorus are played together i have several orgasms.

lol
  8. Sometimes, it's a good thing we're not all in the same room when listening to a score...
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    justin boggan wrote
    Sometimes, it's a good thing we're not all in the same room when listening to a score...

You didn't say this the past night... Little Pussy!Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

It was a test. He passed.
    I will keep my eye on him though.

uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves - Michael Kamen

One of the greats! Brilliant main theme, gorgeous, lyrical love theme, thunderous action... this score needs a remaster and expansion!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!