• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2010
    DreamTheater wrote
    lp wrote
    NP: The Fifth Element - Eric Serra

Great score for the movie. The album can be a bit of a chore to listen to, but the themes for Leeloo/Fifth Element, when they appear, are worth it. I think Mr. Serra could do great business working in Japan on anime productions, where his multi-ethnic scoring approach would be wondrous. Similar to the Yoko Kanno approach.

Not a score I would buy, but I like the music when I watch the film, Serra's or not. It complements the less than serious tone and slightly kitschy art design of the film very well.

I find that Serra is often able to provide the right kind of music that the movie needs. However, his most noteworthy failure is The Messenger. I wish someone else had scored it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2010 edited
    NP: Monster - bt

Sometimes I just feel like getting away from classic symphonic sound. This rarely happens but for some reason today I want to hear something more along the lines of this highly underrated gem by Brian Transaeu. Guitars, drum kit, synth-pading. As I listening more closely I begin to realize how intelligent, creative, well structured and well thought out the music is. And I absolutely ADORE the "Ferris Wheel" music and the heartbreaking finale. A always shed a tear when the "Ferris Wheel" cue comes on. The theme is magnificent and always catches me off guard when it first appears in "The Bus Stop." I'll listening to that cue now and I have goosebumps. It's one of my all time favorites! It's so simplistic yet so extremely powerful music. Love it, Love it, LOVE IT!

This is a score that worked beautifully in the film (which I have to revisit because of Charlize Theron outstanding performance) and IMHO works very well away from it as well. Give it a chance!

A great album and is a score that I sadly ignored on my Top 10 of 2003.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. DreamTheater wrote
    lp wrote

Great score for the movie. The album can be a bit of a chore to listen to, but the themes for Leeloo/Fifth Element, when they appear, are worth it. I think Mr. Serra could do great business working in Japan on anime productions, where his multi-ethnic scoring approach would be wondrous. Similar to the Yoko Kanno approach.

Not a score I would buy, but I like the music when I watch the film, Serra's or not. It complements the less than serious tone and slightly kitschy art design of the film very well.

man, now that's a movie that deserves a blu-ray release punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    lp wrote

It did get a release and IT'S GORGEOUS!!!!
  2. Erik Woods wrote

Sometimes I just feel like getting away from classic symphonic sound. This rarely happens but for some reason today I want to hear something more along the lines of this highly underrated gem by Brian Transaeu. Guitars, drum kit, synth-pading. As I listening more closely I begin to realize how intelligent, creative, well structured and well thought out the music is. And I absolutely ADORE the "Ferris Wheel" music and the heartbreaking finale. A always shed a tear when the "Ferris Wheel" cue comes on. The theme is magnificent and always catches me off guard when it first appears in "The Bus Stop." I'll listening to that cue now and I have goosebumps. It's one of my all time favorites! It's so simplistic yet so extremely powerful music. Love it, Love it, LOVE IT!

This is a score that worked beautifully in the film (which I have to revisit because of Charlize Theron outstanding performance) and IMHO works very well away from it as well. Give it a chance!

-Erik-

I love some of the tracks on this one also, Erik. "Ferris Wheel" and "The Bus Stop" are not out of place in anyone's favourites playlist.

Though I have to admit I've never sat through the 2+ hours of music on the DVD that came with the CD.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    NP: Murder in the First - Christopher Young

I didn't know much about the movie or the soundtrack, and just based on the title I was expecting something else from this cd, but what a pleasant surpirse, Really beautiful, moving score.
  3. I hadn't realised that a lot of the most memorable thematic material in Trevor Jones' The Last of The Mohicans was taken from (and credited to) Dougie MacLean's The Gael.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I hadn't realised that a lot of the most memorable thematic material in Trevor Jones' The Last of The Mohicans was taken from (and credited to) Dougie MacLean's The Gael.

Indeed! About the only bit which is actually by Jones is the main theme, isn't it?
  4. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I'm curious, and surprised! If I see it, I will get it.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. FalkirkBairn wrote
    I hadn't realised that a lot of the most memorable thematic material in Trevor Jones' The Last of The Mohicans was taken from (and credited to) Dougie MacLean's The Gael.

An alternate version - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikQXY4qnFNs
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I'm curious, and surprised! If I see it, I will get it.

I just looked back at my Best of 2003 list and this is what I included. What could I have taken out?

10. GODS AND GENERALS (John Frizzell and Randy Edelman)
    09. SECONDHAND LIONS (Patrick Doyle)
    08. THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN (Trevor Jones)
    07. ANGELS IN AMERICA (Thomas Newman)
    06. X2: X-MEN UNITED (John Ottman) 2003
    05. THE MATRIX REVOLUTIONS (Don Davis)
    04. SINBAD: THE LEGEND OF THE SEVEN SEAS (Harry Gregson-Williams)
    03. NED KELLY (Klaus Badelt) 2003
    02. THE MATRIX RELOADED (Don Davis)
    01. THE RETURN OF THE KING (Howard Shore)

What an absolutely disappointing list of scores. I can't remember the last time I spun Secondhand Lions. Angels in America should have been ranked MUCH higher. X2 shouldn't have been on this list. Sinbad should have been ranked lower. I think the last time I played Ned Kelly is when I last aired it on the program in January of 2003.

So, it looks like there could have been room for Monster... and room for improvement on my "best of" selections. Jesus, I'm embrassed by this list. shame

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. X2, SINBAD, NED KELLY, and I'll risk saying it, GODS AND GENERALS would be off mine. wink

So, it looks like there could have been room for Monster... and room for improvement on my "best of" selections. Jesus, I'm embrassed by this list.

This is always the trick. My best of 2003 probably would have included CHILDREN OF DUNE, and I doubt it would now. We always revise our views.
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    What an absolutely disappointing list of scores. I can't remember the last time I spun Secondhand Lions. Angels in America should have been ranked MUCH higher. X2 shouldn't have been on this list. Sinbad should have been ranked lower. I think the last time I played Ned Kelly is when I last aired it on the program in January of 2003.

So, it looks like there could have been room for Monster... and room for improvement on my "best of" selections. Jesus, I'm embrassed by this list. shame

-Erik-

Thanks for posting this, Erik. It's really interesting for someone to revisit their favs list and see how things change. Are you going to do a revised list to see how it has changed?

Keeping CDs I'm not keen on now is worth it - I'll maybe like them more once I mature a bit more!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote

There's some good ones too, though. Numbers 4 and 6 I think I'd find pretty embarrassing (and 3, 9 and 10 wouldn't be in my own list, that's for sure) but 1, 2, 5 and 7 suggest it wasn't a bad year overall.
  8. In retrospect, GIRL WITH A PEARL EARRING would be on my list.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    In retrospect, GIRL WITH A PEARL EARRING would be on my list.

I liked that one!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: American Beauty - Thomas Newman

My God this is soooooooooo good! Maybe one of the all time greats?! And how this didn't win the best ORIGINAL score Oscar is beyond me! Friggin' fantastic score!

-Erik-
  9. RED VIOLIN, RED VIOLIN...

AMERICAN BEAUTY is great, and one of the most influential scores of all time, but RED VIOLIN is such a fine score too, that I couldn't take it away from Corigliano.
  10. lp wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    lp wrote

It did get a release and IT'S GORGEOUS!!!!

it did, but not one with Dutch subtitles yet, so for me NO tongue
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    RED VIOLIN, RED VIOLIN...

AMERICAN BEAUTY is great, and one of the most influential scores of all time, but RED VIOLIN is such a fine score too, that I couldn't take it away from Corigliano.

Grrrrr.... I know. The Red Violin is damn good, too. I guess I can see the problem with picking a favorite!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote

What an absolutely disappointing list of scores.

If you say so.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

What an absolutely disappointing list of scores.

If you say so.

But with the other ones added in... they bring these fabulous efforts down.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Vibes - James Horner

I love every minute of the synthetic, atmospheric effort from James Horner. Relaxing, meditative, gentle... ahhh!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

But, from your list, we still got 6 really fantastic scores. I can't see what the problem is? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I love some of the tracks on this one also, Erik. "Ferris Wheel" and "The Bus Stop" are not out of place in anyone's favourites playlist.

Though I have to admit I've never sat through the 2+ hours of music on the DVD that came with the CD.

Erik, i'd be interested to find out what you'll think of Asche and Spencer's STAY?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Katiek wrote
    NP: Murder in the First - Christopher Young

I didn't know much about the movie or the soundtrack, and just based on the title I was expecting something else from this cd, but what a pleasant surpirse, Really beautiful, moving score.

It's his most sentimental work to date. Bliss.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

But, from your list, we still got 6 really fantastic scores. I can't see what the problem is? confused

Well, it's my responsibility to select 10 fantastic scores.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik, i'd be interested to find out what you'll think of Asche and Spencer's STAY?

Do I have that? Umm... must check. Nope.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    I think the last time I played Ned Kelly is when I last aired it on the program in January of 2003.

Now that's just a crying shame. sad
    Such a damn fine score!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    In those cases you want to escape from the symphonic sound, Shearmur's moody ambiance and Asche and Spencer are perfect.