• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2010
    Timmer wrote
    NP : DIE ANOTHER DAY - David Arnold

Worst Bond title song ever but definitely not the worst Bond score ever though it may be David Arnold's weakest Bond score ever up until now but it's not bad really are you still following?

I agree it's Arnold's weakest (and it's definitely the worst Bond song) but I don't dislike it quite as much as I did at first.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

Worst Bond title song ever but definitely not the worst Bond score ever though it may be David Arnold's weakest Bond score ever up until now but it's not bad really are you still following?

Hi Timmer I agree I don't think it's Arnold's best Bond score but it's still quite good I enjoy it quite a lot it's not that bad at all and I like Arnold scores for the Bond films!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    RUPERT GREGSON WILLIAMS - the prisoner

Why have them both writing music for films / tv, if they're going to sound identical? You could change the sticker to Harry and nobody would notice. Same approach, same libraries, same sampled instruments and synths, same sampled vocals, same electric cello / violin and sfx, same uninteresting turn of events. Sigh.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

Hi Timmer I agree I don't think it's Arnold's best Bond score but it's still quite good I enjoy it quite a lot it's not that bad at all and I like Arnold scores for the Bond films!

Yes Steven I know you like Arnold's scores for the Bond films and I must admit I've warmed a lot to them over the years and it's certainly not a bad Bond score like Goldeneye which is a bad Bond score done by Eric Serra who never scored another Bond score again.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PAANU AALTIO - home of the dark butterflies

One of those heartfelt, melancholic and deeply melodic gems i only expect to hear from MovieScore Media. Piano / String-driven orchestra make up this score full of prominent themes and captivating atmosphere...Congrats on another exceptional release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

Yes Steven I know you like Arnold's scores for the Bond films and I must admit I've warmed a lot to them over the years and it's certainly not a bad Bond score like Goldeneye which is a bad Bond score done by Eric Serra who never scored another Bond score again.

Thanks Timmer I knew that also but I'm not a fan of Serra's score too we should hang out sometime.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I can already imagine the fun we'll have dissing Serra and drinking a lot of beer and eating kebabs and ending the night having a running battle to the death with the police oh they'll sing songs of our exploits for as long as Nelsons column stands in London and will erect great monuments next to it depicting our exploits but in the meantime I'm going to play this.

NP : CAPTAIN KRONOS VAMPIRE HUNTER - Laurie Johnson

Brilliant! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Pan Tadeusz is pure beauty, without Dracula's darkness.

It's hard for me to pick a favorite score, but that is definitely in the top 10. I played the score for my Dad and he liked it so much that he wanted to see the movie so he could also listen to the music in context. Any score that can make my dad watch a long foreign film with subtitles has to be gorgeous!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    I can already imagine the fun we'll have dissing Serra and drinking a lot of beer and eating kebabs and ending the night having a running battle to the death with the police oh they'll sing songs of our exploits for as long as Nelsons column stands in London and will erect great monuments next to it depicting our exploits but in the meantime I'm going to play this.

biggrin

Well at least we have a plan now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    RUPERT GREGSON WILLIAMS - the prisoner

Beyond boredom.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2010 edited
    Tried to Play: The Peacemaker - Hans Zimmer

I don't know how the lovers of this score do it but this one is something that gives me an instant migraine! I got to the 9:21 of the irritating "Trains" cue and couldn't go any further.

vomit

I've since moved onto...

NP: Extreme Close-Up - James Horner

Soothing piano, soft woodwinds, warm strings, patented synth under-padding... lovely little atmospheric score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2010 edited
    Katiek wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

It's hard for me to pick a favorite score, but that is definitely in the top 10. I played the score for my Dad and he liked it so much that he wanted to see the movie so he could also listen to the music in context. Any score that can make my dad watch a long foreign film with subtitles has to be gorgeous!

That's very cool!

In recent times I've gone bonkers over Fantome avec Chauffeur. It's indeed tough to pick a fave Kilar.
    The only Kilar that left me cold was Zemsta. I have tried playing it a couple of times and can never go beyond the first few tracks.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BhelPuri wrote
    Katiek wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

That's very cool!

In recent times I've gone bonkers over Fantome avec Chauffeur. It's indeed tough to pick a fave Kilar.
    The only Kilar that left me cold was Zemsta. I have tried playing it a couple of times and can never go beyond the first few tracks.

So far everything I've heard of Kilar's has been great or at least had good moments except for Zemsta which I don't like at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2010
    The Fugitive Pete Rugolo. This is what I grew up with as a teenager. A #1 hit.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    The Fugitive Pete Rugolo. This is what I grew up with as a teenager. A #1 hit.

Will you be doing a review of this Tom, I would be interested for sure.
  1. BhelPuri wrote
    Katiek wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

That's very cool!

Pan Tadeusz has some lovely moments. Portrait of a Lady is still my favorite of his, but I've been enjoying this one recently as I had bought over a year ago and then lost it for 10 months. I was ecstatic to find it again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2010 edited
    NP: The Red Canvas - James Peterson

What a way to cap of an impressive two days of film music listening... with only a few blips along the way. Since going on my less bombastic fast a few days ago I've spun the following...

- MONSTER (BT)
    - AMERICAN BEAUTY (Thomas Newman)
    - VIBES (James Horner)
    - THE NEW WORLD (James Horner)
    * Man, James Southall talked about the length of certain albums being a negative aspect yet gushes over this presentation. My lord! It feels like I was listening to this score for 3 hours. Some lovely music for sure but waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long
    - NED KELLY (Klaus Badelt)
    * I can hear why I put this on my Top 10 of 2003.
    - EXTREME CLOSE -Up (James Horner)
    - TO GILLIAN ON HER 37th BIRTHDAY
    * excellent horn themes!
    - THE SPITFIRE GRILL (James Horner)
    - MAO'S LAST DANCER (Christopher Gordon)

The only mistake was trying to get back into action scoring by listening to the dreadful THE PEACEMAKER by Hans Zimmer.

And with that, I'm off to bed.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    The only mistake was trying to get back into action scoring by listening to the dreadful THE PEACEMAKER by Hans Zimmer.

Dreadful? Nah, you're just no Zimmer fan when he's going overboard in the synthesized action department. But I can understand it's a tough listen.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Tried to Play: The Peacemaker - Hans Zimmer

I don't know how the lovers of this score do it but this one is something that gives me an instant migraine! I got to the 9:21 of the irritating "Trains" cue and couldn't go any further.

-Erik-

When I have my doubts about this score it's because of that. Peacemaker contains some stuff that really makes me have headache. Some of the rythms are not very enjoyable and they are a little bit irritating. and this "grey" and "satured" orchestrations doesn't help either. ( specially this same rythms that he used in BHD and Curse of Black Pearl)

In fact, "trains" and "Devoe's revenge" (by Greenaway) are tracks that I always skip. "sarajevo", " Chase" and "Peacemaker" are really worth to listen. (and some tracks from the complete makes an easiest listen)

Anyway, when it's good is very good (in terms of Zimmer style) and it's more orchestral and more complex in composition than "the battle" from Gladiator (wich irritates me even more).

But Erik, I don't think you enjoy Zimmer action writting, so why you listen in his purest form?

NP:Hunt of Red Octuber (Poledouris)

Talking about Russians....

Is there some kind of Bootleg?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Bernstein's The man with the golden arm.
    At long last I've begun to enjoy the jazzy main theme, heard best in "Frankie machine". Still, it's not an album I enjoy very much, not being a jazz fan. It has some non-jazz too, but I haven't come to like it much, though "Molly" is ok I guess.
    My rating: **

Goldenthal's Titus.
    "Victorius Titus" is very cool. The "Finale" is one of my alltime favourite cues. The rest of the album ranges from impressive to incredibly annoying, most of it being the latter. Every time I listen to this album I get the urge to edit out all the modern music (jazz, techno, rock). I'm sure it would make a much nicer listening experience.
    My rating: ***

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Jordi, I believe there is a boot for THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER but I don't know how much more music there is, I don't remember the film having that much more music to it ( someone correct me if I'm wrong ).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    There is a boot, but by god don't bother with it. At least not the one I heard.
  3. VERY bad sound quality.

Some really good action music is missing from the official release. I guess Prometheus or something will release an expanded release in the next years.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    The boot has quite a bit of extra material. Some not used in the film. Some great unheard cues too!
    But yeah, the sound quality is poor!
    Pray to the score gods for an expanded legit release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Go pray over at fsm wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Wow Powel! We might as well have sent one post! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    The boot has quite a bit of extra material. Some not used in the film. Some great unheard cues too!
    But yeah, the sound quality is poor!
    Pray to the score gods for an expanded legit release.

In that case it MUST get a legit release.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Go pray over at fsm wink

Religious talking isn't tollerated there.

Praise Jeebus.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Go pray over at fsm wink

Religious talking isn't tollerated there.

Praise Jeebus.

Am i allowed to other alternatives?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

Am i allowed to other alternatives?

biggrin lol biggrin

Made my day.