• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: The Time Machine (Klaus Badelt)

I'm actually quite entertained by the first half of this album, where it's borrowing The Edge with abandon. Anticipates another really good Badelt score which hasn't been written yet. I might switch off before the Lion King redux of the second half.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2010
    SILVERADO (Complete Score) - BRUCE BROUGHTON

Amazing! one of his best works. I thoroughly enjoy this score. punk
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Final Fantasy (Elliot Goldenthal)

Speaking of what might have been, how about Elliot Goldenthal for AVATAR? I could imagine the beautiful end credits song for this film going perfectly over AVATAR's end credits. Even the lyrics are apt for AVATAR's story. (And the song is many times stronger.)

Incredible modern film scoring. I doubt more than 5 people exist today who can do it better than Goldenthal.
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: The Time Machine (Klaus Badelt)

I'm actually quite entertained by the first half of this album, where it's borrowing The Edge with abandon. Anticipates another really good Badelt score which hasn't been written yet. I might switch off before the Lion King redux of the second half.

The Promise, Rescue dawn. Top Badelt.

Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    I don't think Williams would have been a great choice for LOTR. His sensibility is a bit too modern these days.

My two choices would have been Elliot Goldenthal or Wojciech Kilar!

-Erik-

Goldenthal for LOTR? I hope you are joking.

Steven wrote
    I hope you're joking! shocked

Still, Howard Shore did a fine job. End of.

What Steven said.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    DreamTheater wrote
    punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk
    punk punk punk BIG THEMES punk punk punk
    punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk

Are you ok??? Do you want some of my pills????

NP:Thunderbird from thelma and louisse Live in Genth

One of the few pieces of this concert that really works....and it rocks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2010 edited
    NP: The Bourne Ultimatum - John Powell

John Powell. The master of the electronic/orchestral fusion score. This guy is an unbelievable talent. Powell is arguably the best thing to ever come out of that unholy land of Media Ventures. He took a pretty generic sound developed by Zimmer and created sounds and a voice of his own. And what makes Powell so exceptional is his orchestral writing. Even with all the banging and crashing of percussion and electronics in his scores the orchestral material is always alive and interesting. All of the elements that Powell brings into his compositions perfectly compliment each other. However, in saying that there is one blip in the score that I'm listening to now and seems to plague most of if not all former MV/RC composers.

"Tangiers" is easily one of the finest action tracks Powell has put together... the middle eastern sounds, the barrage of percussion and that infectious, memorable, influential Bourne rhythmic motif! It's all superb except for the Holst/Mars chord drones at 2:45. vomit Talk about sucking the energy of such an incredible track like this and flushing it down the toilet! Well, thank God for digital technology. I imported the track into Adobe Audition this morning, snipped out the said Mars section and put it back together again! Aaaaaaah! Much better! I will never listen to the original Tangiers track again!

Anyway, besides that, the Bourne scores are truly some of the most impressive modern action writing I've heard in the past ten years or so.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    It's all superb except for the Holst/Mars chord drones at 2:45. vomit Talk about sucking the energy of such an incredible track like this and flushing it down the toilet!

Epic fair enough! dizzy

It's never bothered me. Bit of a stretch to call them Holst/Mars chord drones (though I assume that's purely for descriptive purposes?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    It's all superb except for the Holst/Mars chord drones at 2:45. vomit Talk about sucking the energy of such an incredible track like this and flushing it down the toilet!

Epic fair enough! dizzy

It's never bothered me. Bit of a stretch to call them Holst/Mars chord drones (though I assume that's purely for descriptive purposes?)

It's those same 4 drones heard at 5:05 in the track "The Battle" from Gladiator. I absolutely despise them!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I can't really see what's so terrible about them, but I can hear the similarity. 'The Battle' does indeed sound like Mars in places, but I do think it's a bit of a stretch to say the same about Tangiers. It's just a one note repetition to drive the rhythm, and doesn't necessarily equate to "MARS!"
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    I can't really see what's so terrible about them, but I can hear the similarity. 'The Battle' does indeed sound like Mars in places, but I do think it's a bit of a stretch to say the same about Tangiers. It's just a one note repetition to drive the rhythm, and doesn't necessarily equate to "MARS!"

Anywho... I HATE those drones. From Mars or not... it's just irritating.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: New Moon ~ Alexandre Desplat
    I don't have to say again why I like it. I just drink coffee but I savour more the taste of this score.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : PEE-WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE - Danny Elfman

My favourite zany Elfman score, this has strong influences of both Herrman and Rota and I absolutely love the track Breakfast Machine....corking! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

Anywho... I HATE those drones. From Mars or not... it's just irritating.

-Erik-

Fair enough I guess! Still, you're right about Tangiers; one of the last decade's greatest pieces of action scoring!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2010 edited
    NP: Wolverine Complete Score - Harry Gregson Williams

Given how much of a mish mash the temp score was, I'm very surprised that Harry was able to reel in all of the sounds and create a singularly focused score with actual thematic materials. It's not a great score like I wanted it to be, but it's not horrible like people suggested. There are some genuinely good moments through out the full score and it's worth listening at least once, IMHO.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's time for a classic methinks.

NP : INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM - John Williams

Nuff said!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Stavroula wrote
    NP: New Moon ~ Alexandre Desplat
    I don't have to say again why I like it. I just drink coffee but I savour more the taste of this score.

'Marry me, Be--- ' Oh wait, that isn't your name. dizzy
  3. NP: LEAP YEAR (Randy Edelman)

Typical lovely if overlong Edelman score
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthoradam
    Timmer wrote
    I absolutely love the track Breakfast Machine

me too
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    The last sin eater by Mark McKenzie

I've been playing it several days now and have been falling more and more in love with it on each listen. I've counted at least 10 themes in this score and they are all absolutely charming. There's a warmth and childlike innocence throughout the album, and it's impossible not to love it.

My rating: *****

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    lp wrote

WHY you punish yourself????

shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote

My favourite zany Elfman score, this has strong influences of both Herrman and Rota and I absolutely love the track Breakfast Machine....corking! cool

Now "Breakfast Machine" I also love - but "strong influence" is understating it a bit! Tyler Bates himself would be proud of that one.
  4. NP: Loft (wolfram de marco) --- the debt owed to Batman Begins and Bourne is more than evident, but it's still a worthwhile listen.

Also today: Musashi (morricone) -- nice.
  5. NP: Return of the King: complete recordings Disc 4 (Howard Shore)

I find when I go to the complete recordings (which is far too rare for what they cost me, sadly), I tend to go to the final disc of each and just enjoy the home stretch. There's some moving sections that never made the individual discs.

EDIT -- However even the home stretch is too long as a listen to prevent me from yawning. This just isn't the way to hear most film scores, most of them don't hold up when every minute is included. And I can't help but think that a final piece that could have run the whole length of the end credits, revolving around that 'Vorspiel' quote from Wagner that ends the credits, would have deepened the sense of Middle Earth's ongoing legendary happenings. 'Into the West' a nice song, very cathartic, and much better integrated into the film than Avatar's closing credits song, but... but... just but.
  6. plindboe wrote

I've been playing it several days now and have been falling more and more in love with it on each listen. I've counted at least 10 themes in this score and they are all absolutely charming. There's a warmth and childlike innocence throughout the album, and it's impossible not to love it.

Peter smile

That is a great, great score. Beautiful stuff. It's been far too long since we had a new McKenzie score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2010
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

This might be one of my top 3 scores of 2007, and one of the most pleasant-surprise purchases of my entire life...I didn't know anything about McKenzie and bought it on a whim - probably someone's description on this forum - and had no idea how much I'd fall in love with it!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  7. And McKenzie has written several that are that good. Durango, The Disappearance of Garcia Lorca, Blizzard. There's also a really nice compliation album called Con Passione you might be able to find. He writes beautiful stuff! I would put it in my top 3 for 2007 as well. Next to Atonement and Angel.
    • CommentAuthoradam
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

Now "Breakfast Machine" I also love - but "strong influence" is understating it a bit! Tyler Bates himself would be proud of that one.

Give him a break, it was his first score... Ed Scissorhands was just 5 years later! Quick learner.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    adam wrote
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

Give him a break, it was his first score... Ed Scissorhands was just 5 years later! Quick learner.

Actually, his first score was Forbidden Zone.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthoradam
    Doesn't count
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Nautilus wrote
    lp wrote

shocked

I like the theme. I was hoping to hear more of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

Love em.

lp wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    lp wrote

shocked

I like the theme. I was hoping to hear more of it.

Listen to WOLFMAN by Elfman instead wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.