• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2010 edited
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Into Thin Air is a great example of music transcending it's film ( it's awful ), Holdridge did a Goldsmith with this.

the book of the same title by Jon Krakauer is excellent though.

Disappointing to hear that the film's bad! I loved the book, I like the soundtrack, so I was hoping to catch the film some day.

The book was a must read for me as I had been in the area only 2 Months after the events in the book took place ( early 1996 ), quite sobering seeing Rob Hall's posters still up in lodges advertising his Everest adventures and even more sobering looking up at the peak and knowing he was still there a few hundred feet from the summit with so many others for company.

The film looks cheap to me and used stock footage, a mountain dweeb like me spotted immediately that many of the shots are from the Tibet side of the mountain where NONE of the drama took place, it just takes the bare bones of the American survivors and misses out all the politics of mass produced trekking and the insane lengths that people will go to reach the summit regardless of the lives of other people.

p.s. The fact I saw it on an afternoon on Channel 5 says it all really. rolleyes slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: In Search of Peace - Lee Holdridge

Top notch release from Intrada. A completely unknown score for me - so it was a blind purchase - and boy did this did not disappoint! Here are my initial thoughts.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2010
    Erik Woods wrote
    Lee Holdridge!

Holdridge's music is probably the music that most got me interested in film scores as a "standalone" listening experience, particularly Scenes of Summer and East of Eden. I got my first exposure to those pieces from figure skating, and that helped introduce me to so many of his beautiful themes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Katiek wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Lee Holdridge!

Holdridge's music is probably the music that most got me interested in film scores as a "standalone" listening experience, particularly Scenes of Summer and East of Eden. I got my first exposure to those pieces from figure skating, and that helped introduce me to so many of his beautiful themes.

Yeah, Holdridge is very proud of the fact that Michelle Kwan used East of Eden as her long program music in 1993 and 1994.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    Erik Woods wrote
    Katiek wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Lee Holdridge!

Yeah, Holdridge is very proud of the fact that Michelle Kwan used East of Eden as her long program music in 1993 and 1994.

-Erik-

he's quite big with the skating set. Tara Lipinski won her gold skating to Scenes of Summer, Brian Boitano has used Elegy for Harp and Strings, and Kwan has used East of Eden in various forms for a number of seasons, including a bautiful exhibition number.

This season a skater from Estonia used East of Eden as well, but her interpretation was terrible. The music was still great, though.

ETA: here is Michelle's exhibition version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vN3DmQwCbc
  1. Erik Woods wrote

Top notch release from Intrada. A completely unknown score for me - so it was a blind purchase - and boy did this did not disappoint! Here are my initial thoughts.

-Erik-

Everytime I post here about playing it, I keep telling people they need to get it. That and "The Red Canvas" (MSM, James Peterson).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    justin boggan wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Everytime I post here about playing it, I keep telling people they need to get it. That and "The Red Canvas" (MSM, James Peterson).

Just played the second cd of In Search of Peace yesterday. Really lovely and a nice range of music from more upbeat to more introspective.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    justin boggan wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Yeah! Two of the finest releases last year!

-Erik-
  2. NP: LO by Scott Glasgow

Hmn, interesting but I'll have to listen to this one a couple of times more
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote

The film looks cheap to me and used stock footage, a mountain dweeb like me spotted immediately that many of the shots are from the Tibet side of the mountain where NONE of the drama took place, it just takes the bare bones of the American survivors and misses out all the politics of mass produced trekking and the insane lengths that people will go to reach the summit regardless of the lives of other people.

p.s. The fact I saw it on an afternoon on Channel 5 says it all really. rolleyes slant

It was a "Made for TV" special event movie. Budget for those production were small compare to now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    lp wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    and BTW, both Iron Man scores will share the same guitarist.

who?

Tom Morello - Rage Against the Machine

Ah, good guitarist. I hope the 2 soundtracks won't sound the same though.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: The Pacific - Blake Neely and Geoff Zanelli

Somber, intimate scoring. Very similar to Band of Brothers. I'm interested in watching the show and see how similar it'll be to Band of Brothers (likely so).
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    lp wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    and BTW, both Iron Man scores will share the same guitarist.

who?

Tom Morello - Rage Against the Machine

Ah, good guitarist. I hope the 2 soundtracks won't sound the same though.

Based on the demo clips, it sounds like John is employing a similar set of rock guitar cliches. I'm sure people will love it if the orchestral parts were boosted up and written by John Debney. Regardless, the movie should be damn cool to watch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Very similar as in plagiarizing. If we're comparing qualities, it's actually insulting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    Very similar as in plagiarizing. If we're comparing qualities, it's actually insulting.

Are we talking about the show or its music? Cause I was talking about the show.

Score wise, I hear that they're using a similar sound-scape as BoB (which were taken from SPR), though the thematic material aren't very similar. Though if you can point out the parts they're plagiarizing, I want to be enlightened. beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lp wrote
    Timmer wrote

It was a "Made for TV" special event movie. Budget for those production were small compare to now.

I'll just be thankful it gave the opportunity for a great score from Lee Holdridge cool

For people interested in a great, true life story about the effects of commercial mountaineering and the tragedy that ensues then read the book, the 'TV film' should be avoided.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote
    lp wrote
    Timmer wrote

I'll just be thankful it gave the opportunity for a great score from Lee Holdridge cool

For people interested in a great, true life story about the effects of commercial mountaineering and the tragedy that ensues then read the book, the 'TV film' should be avoided.

That was the consensus at the time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The score, lp. Listen to the main themes. It's clear which the temp track and the aim in sound / harmony was. I don't need to proof anything.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote

The Pacific is somewhat of a sequel to Band of Brothers. If you remember one of the main characters from Band of Brothers is being sent to the Pacific at the end of the last part of the series. Now, I don't know if we will be seeing any familiar faces from Band of Brothers in this new show but it is somewhat similar to the way Band of Brothers was told. However, this time instead of telling the story of the US Army's involvement in the Europe this new series will be about the Marine Corps in the Pacific. I can see a very similar style of shoot to Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers so if the score sounds similar to Kamen's I have no problem with that.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Now playing Avatar

I just can't into this. It has some moments I think are lovely. Tracks 4, 5 and 13 are my favourite tracks, but to tell the truth I find them nothing spectacular.

My rating: ***

The score might grow on me over time, so it's doubtful the rating will be my final verdict.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

The Pacific is somewhat of a sequel to Band of Brothers. If you remember one of the main characters from Band of Brothers is being sent to the Pacific at the end of the last part of the series. Now, I don't know if we will be seeing any familiar faces from Band of Brothers in this new show but it is somewhat similar to the way Band of Brothers was told. However, this time instead of telling the story of the US Army's involvement in the Europe this new series will be about the Marine Corps in the Pacific. I can see a very similar style of shoot to Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers so if the score sounds similar to Kamen's I have no problem with that.

-Erik-

I am not so much interested on the series...i am talking about the scores themselves, listen to THE PACIFIC and tell me your opinion, i am interested smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

I am not so much interested on the series...i am talking about the scores themselves, listen to THE PACIFIC and tell me your opinion, i am interested smile

Ok... but from what I'm hearing from you guys is that it's very similar to Kamen's style. I have no problem with that.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Me neither, we're just discussing. The rest is the problem, the filler in-between the theme..it's very generic and boring, and certainly as a whole ages behind Kamen's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    The score, lp. Listen to the main themes. It's clear which the temp track and the aim in sound / harmony was. I don't need to proof anything.

That's not much of a point toward plagiarizing then. If you have issues over the orchestration and how similar it is to BoB, then it's kinda irrelevant, because it's pretty clear that the new show/score intended to follow the same dramatic troupes as those set in SPR and BoB. I actually thought that they had really copied word for word the BoB score and I had gone, subjectively, deaf to the problem.

There is a track called "Dear Vera" that is a kissing cousin to one of Kamen's theme. But I've yet to notice anything else that as blatant as that little snippet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    Me neither, we're just discussing. The rest is the problem, the filler in-between the theme..it's very generic and boring, and certainly as a whole ages behind Kamen's.

That was my impression after the first listen. I've grown to like this score much more than I had expected to. It's low key, but still emotional at points. The main problem I have with the score is that some of the tracks, the string writing/recording sounds thin, and lacking a bit of the midrange fill that I prefer in these kind of scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote

Ok... I'll have a listen!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Listen to the first tracks from both the cd's. Listen to the theme, the harmony, the development and especially the cadences of each thematic statement.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Listen to the first tracks from both the cd's. Listen to the theme, the harmony, the development and especially the cadences of each thematic statement.

Oh yeah... the Band of Brothers feel is in there for sure. Again, I have no issues because of the subject matter and how it is sort of a continuation of the first series. I like the theme very much!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thank you smile I have no problem either, its' just the topic of the day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ok... enough of this Zimmer... back to LEE HOLDRIDGE!

-Erik-