• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2010
    Anthony wrote
    I just did the Reading Half Marathon with Independence Day blasting out the earphones. I know it's a great score, but fuck me, that's a GREAT score! Really helped the adrenaline I think.

Pics here (hope it works)

Think my time was 2 hrs 32 mins so got through the score about one and a half times.

You succeeded. Congrats! You worked long for this, right?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2010 edited
    NP: NIXON - John Williams

Just the tracks The Turbulent Years and The Meeting with Mao on YouTube, after recently seeing the film on BluRay. Reading reviews, they all mention the lack of thematic structure, but so far, though I haven't even heard the full score on CD, I've identified several themes already and they're all fantastic!

The opening The Turbulent Years concert suite is just downright awesome, and the following The Meeting with Mao seems to be the main setup for the ominous main theme for Nixon, which is very strong and fitting for the film. I need to get me this score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Nixon is one of John Williams' finest dramatic scores! The album is superb! The Turbulent Years is one of the most impressive pieces of trailer music ever written!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ Nixon is one of John Williams' finest dramatic scores! The album is superb! The Turbulent Years is one of the most impressive pieces of trailer music ever written!

-Erik-

That pulled me over the edge to buy it!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

^
    that! punk beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Dante's Inferno (Garry Schyman & Paul Gorman)

Thought I'd torture myself for a good 80 minutes with this. I'm close to having a nervous meltdown. crazy

If hell has a soundtrack this must be it. vomit

And no D, you can't convince me to like it one bit.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Okay.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Christodoulides wrote
    Okay.

Best reply ever. cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP: The Hurt Locker - Marco Beltrami & Buck Sanders

Not nearly as dull as I thought it would be. I love the main theme on the erhu.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    BobdH wrote
    That pulled me over the edge to buy it!

Good choice, Bob. It's one of my favourite Williams scores. An underappreciated gem.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I noticed during the film, indeed. Really looking forward to hearing it in full smile.
  1. Nixon's is also one I've neglected for many years. Being a Williams fan I'm very ashamed to admit this. sad

I will have to (re)discover this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Beyond The Gates - Dario Marianelli

Subtle and touching. Lovely stuff.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Always - John Williams

I haven't listened to this one in years! In fact, I'm not sure I've ever listened to all of it. Now I remember why.
  2. Not that good?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Unbelievably boring, especially by Williams standards. Enlivened only by the lovely three minutes at the end.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2010
    Southall wrote
    Unbelievably boring, especially by Williams standards. Enlivened only by the lovely three minutes at the end.

There's one particular track I like, not the 'end' one but I also haven't listened for a long time, probably Williams least listened Spielberg scored movie.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    NP: Daybreakers (Christopher Gordon)

Listening to this brought back fond memories of the movie. Most of the score's highlights make it onto the CD ("Spreading the Cure", "Blood Lust", "On the Run" and "Daybreak" being the standout cues), but I was sad to find out 3-4 cues didn't make it onto the soundtrack release. Such a shame, but nitpicks aside, this is a solid representation of Gordon's score from the film.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
  3. Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

There's one particular track I like, not the 'end' one but I also haven't listened for a long time, probably Williams least listened Spielberg scored movie.

Same here, but 'Saying Goodbye' is a good cue, if that's the one you're referring to. The movie itself wasn't exactly top notch either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2010 edited
    The Spiral Road - Jerry Goldsmith

Bugger it! It's mono! angry
    What a shame, because this score is really, REALLY nice. Exceedingly melodic and accessible (more so, I find, than e.g. The Sand Pebbles) and I absolutely love the way he's worked in traditional gamelan music. What a nice, warm, enjoyable score.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    The Spiral Road - Jerry Goldsmith

Bugger it! It's mono! angry
    What a shame, because this score is really, REALLY nice. Exceedingly melodic and accessible (more so, I find, than e.g. The Sand Pebbles) and I absolutely love the way he's worked in traditional gamelan music. What a nice, warm, enjoyable score.

Bollocks. slant

I HATE mono recordings! Especially when the music is good. crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    And me. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Brainstorm - James Horner

It was my first listen to this score and it has instantly joined the elite group of favourite Horner scores. I loved every single track. I love how Horner mixes the beautiful with the terrifying and he does it in a way that the music stays melodic throughout. A very strong album by Horner.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:How to train your dragon (powell)

Oh God. Powell do it again.

How can this man compose so many good animation scores? he never is out of ideas!

The main theme is highly addictive, and his rendition with panpipes, flutes and ELECTRIC GUITARS is fucking AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

" forbidden frienship" is one of the most lovely themes i have heard in a looooooooooong time. and one of the best tracks from powell. A mix between Solaris, Ps I love you and To the roof spin

"This is berk", "seeu you tomorrow" , "Test Drive", "Romantic fight" and "commin back around" are absolutly Highlights too.

I have to listen more the action music, because it's too much and to big, thought.

In resume: "How to train" is not so over the top than "horton",more coherent than happy feet , more inspired than ice age saga and it's more ambitious than "Bolt" ( I love all these scores, how you know). For sure one of Powells best albums!!

PSthere was a time when i hated this Irish flavour, but since I visited scotland, it reminds me this magic travel i did. so...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Jaws John Williams

One of Williams' most entertaining scores. I always listen to the original recording on the expanded album, suits me just fine. Love it. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP How to Train your Dragon (John Powell)

Wow, this is big, loud, epic and, dare I say, over the top! May this one be his biggest effort so far? I mean in terms of how big the orchestra is (or seems to be). There´s not a single cue without a sense of epic in it, not even matched by his X Men 3 score. Love it!

From Green Zone to How to Train your Dragon. It´s like going from black to white spin
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  4. NP: Powder - Jerry Goldsmith

A most beautiful theme from the Maestro cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    It´s like going from black to white spin

Michael Jackson?!?!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote
    It´s like going from black to white spin

Michael Jackson?!?!

-Erik-

Yeah, without the fake nose though.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    NP How to Train your Dragon (John Powell)

Wow, this is big, loud, epic and, dare I say, over the top! May this one be his biggest effort so far? I mean in terms of how big the orchestra is (or seems to be). There´s not a single cue without a sense of epic in it, not even matched by his X Men 3 score. Love it!

I love the most intimate moments of this score.

FORBIDDEN FRIENSHIP!!! beer beer beer beer beer beer beer

"see u tomorrow"...irish flavour!!!! with that typical powell theme!