• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Primal - Bob & Barn

A videogame score with an incredible amount of choral / vocal accompaniment, rousingly performed by the City of Prague Philharmonic and Chorus. Thematically it has very strong moments, but the writing isn't always of the highest standard resulting in disjointed music. The battle cues on the other hand pack a serious punch and are worth checking out the album for. From this oddly named duo I prefer their music from MediEvil Resurrection, which is better composed and orchestrated.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2010
    Primal is one of my all time favorite video game scores!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Don't get me wrong it's pretty good, but overall I enjoy MediEvil Resurrection more, it has a more swashbuckling feel to it.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Dances With Wolves - John Barry

One of THE greatest scores ever composed!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. For the best thing Kevin Costner has ever done.

DWW is cinematic brilliance.
  4. BobdH wrote
    christopher wrote
    NP - Final Fantasy - Elliot Goldenthal

Until this year I had never heard a single score by Goldenthal shame In recent months I bought three of them. This is my favorite of the three. Every track on this album feels so epic, and the LSO sounds so huge! This isn't typically the kind of film music I enjoy most, but if I'm in the right mood, this score is a welcome diversion from my normal listening habits.

What are the other 2 scores you got? Goldenthal is brilliant! Collect them all!

I got Titus and The Good Thief. I also heard Public Enemies, though I did not buy it after that. It was pretty good, but I've got a lot of scores to buy, so it didn't cut the mustard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2010 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    For the best thing Kevin Costner has ever done.

DWW is cinematic brilliance.

I thought so for a while, but I recently saw this again as was really annoyed by a few things. It was also in Avatar. What happened to the Native Americans was terrible and in no way am I trying to justify that at all, but I think you could make a film that shows that without the white people being quite so diabolical. Other than Coster, every white person in that film in either a complete idiot or a horrible horrible human being (killing horses for fun? How many people back then would have done that?). The same thing is true of Avatar - other than the three people who like the Na'vi, every other white person is just terrible. It seems like a cheap overcharacterization to me.

edit: that doesn't mean its not the best thing Coster has ever done. I think the film is good - I just like it less know for that.
  5. Enemy of the Gates - James Horner

Okay, I am seriously crushing on "The River - Crossing to Stalingrad". It's just the perfect opening, as a soundtrack and in the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ The Four note danger motif kills that opening track for me every time. I should try and edit it out!

-Erik-
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    ^ The Four note danger motif kills that opening track for me every time. I should try and edit it out!

-Erik-

I guess I'm more willing to forgive it because of the choir. But I understand people's weariness of it being in practically EVERY OTHER Horner score...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2010
    I don't mind the four note danger motif in that track, I've sort of got used to hearing it in so many of his scores now - but I would be interested in hearing that edit if you ever get round to it.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of Enemy of the Gates. I find the album drags quite a bit, so I just listen to these tracks:

The River Crossing To Stalingrad
    Vassili's Fame Spreads
    Sacha's Risk
    Betrayel
    Danilov's Confession
    Tania (End Credits)

I'd get rid of 'Danilov's Confession' too, but it's part of the same cue as 'Tania', so I keep it. Six tracks, but still comes to 50 minutes!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    I don't mind the four note danger motif in that track, I've sort of got used to hearing it in so many of his scores now - but I would be interested in hearing that edit if you ever get round to it.

I gave it a shot!
    Click HERE TO DOWNLOAD!

Enjoy!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    That's a nice edit Erik! I can now enjoy this score with or without the "motive" depending on my mood!

NP: Supergirl - Goldsmith

I've been hearing this one a lot lately since my nieces love it so much. They know every note!
    I much prefer the early Varese Sarabande edition without all the nasty electronics.
    Monster Storm sounds sooooo much better on the Varese version!
    So I made my deluxe edit of the album containing mixes from both Varese and Silva CDs.
  7. Krull - James Horner

I'm only about 2 tracks into this, but I'm liking it a lot so far. It's very infectious; it's like he actually had fun writing this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Krull is (and always will be) Horner's magnum opus!

I'm glad you like it! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I see Horneritis is long running well here wink

beer
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2010 edited
    NP:Star Trek (Giacchino)

At last! A sunny day! !

Playing "End Credits" very loud!!! cool

(7:19 mark punk )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Dances With Wolves - John Barry

One of THE greatest scores ever composed!

-Erik-

FACT!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. Listening to a little "classical" music this morning.

NP - Intermezzo (from "Cavalleria Rusticana") - Mascagni.

This piece has long been a favorite of mine - it's so gorgeous!
  9. War of the Worlds - John Williams

This is officially my favorite Williams score, and one of my overall favorite scores in recent years. I love the complete and utter chaos and despair that he evokes with tracks such as "The Ferry Scene", "Attack on the Car", and "Ray and Rachel" and the tension and dissonance with tracks like "Probing the Basement", "Escape from the City", and "The Intersection Scene" (which sounds like he got his inspiration from Stravinsky's Rite of Spring).

Music like this makes me wonder what other great sc-fi horror scores are out there...
  10. DreamTheater wrote
    Don't get me wrong it's pretty good, but overall I enjoy MediEvil Resurrection more, it has a more swashbuckling feel to it.

really?

I was blown away by Primal, MediEvil not so
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  11. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Don't get me wrong it's pretty good, but overall I enjoy MediEvil Resurrection more, it has a more swashbuckling feel to it.

really?

I was blown away by Primal, MediEvil not so

Time to give it another listen then. I wasn't won over instantly either but it grew on me.
  12. Ghost - Maurice Jarre

This is such an irritating soundtrack, beautiful and lovely on one side and full of annoying synths, grating rhythms and droning suspense 'music' that gets on my nerves and makes my ears ache. Damn, why couldn't it have been more of the first, because the themes are really beautiful. Unchained Melody which starts the album as a song later gets a goosebump-inducing orchestral workout followed by the equally gorgeous End Credits, and then sadly followed by the complete opposite, two bonus cues that result in one of the world album climaxes I've ever heard, utterly nightmarish stuff. Throwaway, apart for the song and two purely orchestral cues. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2010 edited
    NP: "Psycological Recovery" from Sherlock Holmes (Hans Zimmer)

this 18 minutes contains some of the most powerful, inventive and exiting music Zimmer has ever written. And I can't understand Why this piece is not so loved as other great action pieces from hans (like "chase" from peacemaker )

It's true that a couple of minutes deleted here and there could have been made a better listening, but Who cares!!!

With this looooooooong tracks Zimmer never dissapoints.
  13. NP: Straw Dogs - Jerry Fielding

In one of those inexplicable episodes I ended up getting this one. Fielding, for me, is a very difficult composer to enjoy - from what I've heard of so far. And this is no exception. A very small-scale ensemble of players it is nice to hear something that's different from the majority of scores produced today.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    Only You - Rachel Portman

Just what I wanted this morning -uplifting and happy. I even like the non-score music on the cd.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    NP: "Psycological Recovery" from Sherlock Holmes (Hans Zimmer)

this 18 minutes contains some of the most powerful, inventive and exiting music Zimmer has ever written.

I agree. I think it's a fantastic score.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2010
    NP: Secret Weapons Over Normandy (Giacchino)

No offense, but I think I prefer Giacchino's video game scores over his film scores (his film scores are perfectly fine, actually). There's something more irresistable about his video game scores and how the medium just lets him be more creative. It's a release I warmed up to after the first couple of listens -- love "Zauara", "Battle of Britain" and "Fjords of Norway." The whole package itself is a treat, but those are the standout cues for me.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
  14. SWON ROCKS. It's an even more ballsy MOH. punk
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2010
    It's great except for that annoyingly distracting first part of the main theme that sounds like Apollo 13!