• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2010
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You are?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    He is? confused
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2010 edited
    I generally love his movies, apart Mars Attacks! and Batman.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I find his films a visual delight but with barely any substance.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

Apart from. smile

And before Martijn chimes in, that was purely a friendly correction. I only know the one language, so I'm not trying to be a dick! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I'm interested to see how this one turns out, too. I'm more eagerly anticipating Elfman's score, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Apart from. smile

And before Martijn chimes in, that was purely a friendly correction. I only know the one language, so I'm not trying to be a dick! wink

cheesy

Timmer wrote

I love the fairy-tale nature of his films. For 2 hours, you're completely transferred to a whole new world, forgetting everything that bothers you.
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    I love the fairy-tale nature of his films. For 2 hours, you're completely transferred to a whole new world, forgetting everything that bothers you.

that's true, but I'll rent it one time though
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Same here, I'll not be seeing this at the cinema.
  2. Timmer wrote
    Same here, I'll not be seeing this at the cinema.

I remember one time ever visiting a Burton movie in the cinema, and that was Batman Returns (because back then Batman was inappropriate for children)
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

And of course, form is a type of substance, so some directors nurture this aspect of the film medium more prominently. Burton - like Scott, Antonioni, Tarkovsky, Scott, Kubrick, Spielberg, Fincher, Lynch etc. all know how to do this very well. Burton's visuals (and Elfman's music, for that matter) are statements in themselves.

But we've been down that road before.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I agree with Timmer. 'Form', or style, is certainly a type of substance, but you need a film to succeed in other areas too (which they do, but just not enough for me to be able to call Burton a favourite). For me, Burton's films are always visually entertaining, but I've never really been moved by his films like, say, a Kubrick of Spielberg film.

I definitely enjoy watching Burton's films if I happen to catch them on Tv, but I'm not going to buy any of them on Blu-Ray, I'll put it that way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    I agree with Timmer. 'Form', or style, is certainly a type of substance, but you need a film to succeed in other areas too (which they do, but just not enough for me to be able to call Burton a favourite). For me, Burton's films are always visually entertaining, but I've never really been moved by his films like, say, a Kubrick of Spielberg film.

I definitely enjoy watching Burton's films if I happen to catch them on Tv, but I'm not going to buy any of them on Blu-Ray, I'll put it that way.

....and by "other areas", I assume you mean story. To me, it's nice and dandy to have a good story, but the film medium can do so much MORE. I've gotten sick and tired of the over-reliance on 'story' as the ultimate criterion by which to judge the quality of a film, as if it were a goddamn book! I love films who take it to the next level, who insert tableaux that can communicate feelings, moods, symbolism through AUDIOVISUALS alone, in any given moment. Burton's films are FULL of these, if you care to look for such things.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I agree films can be explored through audiovisuals, that's the medium after all! But the images and sounds still have to tell a story otherwise its meaningless. I might as well splash some colours on a blank canvas and listen to some pretty music. Clearly that's not what I think Burton's films are like, there's obviously substance there.... just not enough for me to call him a favourite. I could easily live without Burton's films, even though I do appreciate his weird and imaginative style of film making.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Christodoulides wrote

Unless Tim Burton movies is what bothers you.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin
  3. lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    I agree films can be explored through audiovisuals, that's the medium after all! But the images and sounds still have to tell a story otherwise its meaningless. .

Of course it's not meaningless. Art films have been doing that for more than a century. Even within more classical narratives is there a chance to "pause" the story, so to speak, to communicate some idea or feeling strictly through what you see and hear onscreen.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2010
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote
    I agree films can be explored through audiovisuals, that's the medium after all! But the images and sounds still have to tell a story otherwise its meaningless. .

Of course it's not meaningless. Art films have been doing that for more than a century. Even within more classical narratives is there a chance to "pause" the story, so to speak, to communicate some idea or feeling strictly through what you see and hear onscreen.

:epic-sigh:

Whatever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

:epic-sigh:

Whatever.

I'm sorry, don't let me interupt in your audiobook....I mean film session.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2010 edited
    So let me get this straight: if a director decides to include a completely random piece of audiovisual, that may in itself tell a "story" or elicit a particular feeling, but one that has nothing to do with the story of the film, that's okay? That makes sense? My point, since you brought it up, is I would prefer it to make sense in the context of the film. More importantly, how the hell did we get onto this subject? Burton doesn't even make "art films"!?

I'd be the last person to suggest that films should have a rigid formula, they can be whatever the hell they want to be. All I'm saying -as well as giving perfectly valid reasons as to why- I DON'T LIKE BURTON AS MUCH AS YOU DO! It's purely preferential. Good lord. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I used to quite like Tim Burton films, but I can't remember the last one I really enjoyed, and one look at the poster for this (with Johnny Depp on it) completely put me off it.
  4. Steven wrote
    So let me get this straight: if a director decides to include a completely random piece of audiovisual, that may in itself tell a "story" or elicit a particular feeling, but one that has nothing to do with the story of the film, that's okay? That makes sense? My point, since you brought it up, is I would prefer it to make sense in the context of the film. More importantly, how the hell did we get onto this subject? Burton doesn't even make "art films"!?

I'd be the last person to suggest that films should have a rigid formula, they can be whatever the hell they want to be. All I'm saying -as well as giving perfectly valid reasons as to why- I DON'T LIKE BURTON AS MUCH AS YOU DO! It's purely preferential. Good lord. dizzy

What Thor says is that those moments aren't purely audiovisual, they DO add something to the general scene but in a very subtle way, if not ethereal. It's just a moment you react purely sensually to. It maybe some kind of a visual symbol, for example.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I'm somewhere in the middle. Plain audio-visual spectacles are plan music video clips to me...they have to have some sort of narrative backbone to make me connect and be emotionally affected by it. Incorporating great visuals in a great story, like in AGORA for instance, always manages to win me over and move me like no other. But i said i'm in the middle 'cause i sometimes fall for films that incorporate great visuals with weak of confused storylines, like in THE FOUNTAIN where i was still able to draw some emotional background in order to connect with it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I can certainly enjoy films which are all about style (several Ridley Scott films come into that category for me) but most of what I consider to be the truly great directors do this while making truly compelling films in other ways too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    So let me get this straight: if a director decides to include a completely random piece of audiovisual, that may in itself tell a "story" or elicit a particular feeling, but one that has nothing to do with the story of the film, that's okay?

Yes! Except that it isn't totally random. There's some purpose to it. A good example is Willem Defoe's death scene in PLATOON. In slomo, he falls to his knees while the bullets of the Viet Cong pierce his body. He reaches up towards the sky while Barber's religious-sounding "Adagio" plays on the music side. It has an obvious Christ reference (Defoe "sacrificing himself", "why have you forsaken me?" etc.) and can be enjoyed for that alone. It's meaning that is created solely out of visuals and music. It's not totally separated from the story, of course, but in that scene, our focus shifts almost exclusively to moment-based meaning and feelings.

That makes sense? My point, since you brought it up, is I would prefer it to make sense in the context of the film. More importantly, how the hell did we get onto this subject? Burton doesn't even make "art films"!?

No, but he employs an art film aesthetic in a mainstream idiom.

Sure, and I have no problem with that. My beef is only with the underestimation of the film medium's abilities BEYOND the storytelling aspect, which has always been one of my "agenda issues". Heck, I even wrote my Ph.D. thesis on that. That's why I'm coming through a little more forcefully than usual on this issue.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote
    So let me get this straight: if a director decides to include a completely random piece of audiovisual, that may in itself tell a "story" or elicit a particular feeling, but one that has nothing to do with the story of the film, that's okay?

Yes! Except that it isn't totally random.

So basically, that's a 'no', then? smile

My beef is only with the underestimation of the film medium's abilities BEYOND the storytelling aspect, which has always been one of my "agenda issues". Heck, I even wrote my Ph.D. thesis on that. That's why I'm coming through a little more forcefully than usual on this issue.

It's a good discussion, assuredly, and one I think is worth exploring more in-depth (especially as you have apparently studied the subject).
    It just happened not to be the one Steven was having. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2010 edited
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

Yes! Except that it isn't totally random. There's some purpose to it.

So no then. That was exactly my point! As long as there's purpose to it, then I don't mind. It would seem odd to include a completely random piece of audiovisual in the film, which was purely an exaggeration I used to make a point that anything inside the film needs to be connected to the story in some way. Again, though, that's not what I'm trying to debate here, and I'm certainly not underestimating the film medium's ability at all, I'm just saying I don't like Burton as much as you do. That's it. dizzy biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    So no then.

Beat you with two seconds. biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn