• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2010 edited
    It reminds me of Alias where a bunch of hot girls instead of Jennifer Garner wear various hot clothing and generally be hot.

Oh, and there's a story or something in there too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2010
    SOLD!

What's the story about?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

It's not anything moving into look at us we are so independent and we need nobody but ourselves, female friends and shoes; still can't live without d*cks fields like Sex and the City, right? Don't put me through that! smile

Um... no. Whedon certainly puts his female characters at the forefront of his shows, though. Much like James Cameron, he creates a lot of strong, powerful characters for women. But this is NOTHING like Sex and the City! This is a Whedon show: funny, intelligent, geeky (but in a good way), sexy and near the end, quite epic.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm sold! biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Make sure you avoid the ORIGINAL pilot episode as it just confuses things! I found out the hard way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJon Broxton
    OK Demetris (**SOME MINOR SPOILERS**):

The story is that there is this company called Rossum who have developed a scientific method to give human hosts different personalities, with the host having no idea that his or her personality is fake; all around the the world are these secret houses with 'blank' people inside them, called actives or dolls, who can be imprinted with different personalities, muscle memory, skills and talents, and 'hired' by a client. Sometimes law enforcement or the government will hire an active to help them with undercover sting operations, sometimes an uber-rich individual will hire them for "relationship" sessions (almost like a prostitute) - but where the hooker genuinely believes they are in love with the person who hired them. The house is secret, known only to certain extremey wealthy and/or powerful people, but there are rumors amongst the common populace that the house exists.

Each of the dolls are named after a letter in the phonetic alphabet - Alpha, Echo, Sierra etc. - and have a mysterious "past", which tells how they came to be in the Dollhouse in the first place, which gets revealed as the show goes on. The main character is a doll called Echo (Eliza Dushku), and it's through her that we find out what the Dollhouse is, and what it does. Each doll has a handler who makes sure they are OK while out on assignments - Echo's is a man called Boyd (Harry Lennix), and then there's the tech people (a geek/nerd called Topher played by Fran Kranz), and the manager of the Dollhouse (Olivia Williams).

So each week Echo has a new assignment, and we follow her and what she does; but then there's also this overarching storyline about the Rossum Corporation and what it's ultimate aims are; the political shenanigans behind the scenes, the threat of a former male doll called Alpha who had some problems and went psycho and escaped, and an FBI agent called Paul Ballard who has found out about the Dollhouse and wants to bring it down because he thinks it is immoral.

There's much much more to it than that, but basically that's the gist of it.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    That was way too long. The essentials are:

Jon Broxton wrote
    Echo

Hot

Jon Broxton wrote
    Sierra

Unbelievably hot

Jon Broxton wrote
    Olivia Williams

Milf, and hot
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Olivia Williams? She's attractive, but I've never thought she was hot. I LOVE her character though!

Echo, or Eliza Dushku, I wouldn't say was particularly pretty, but yeah, she's hot.

This is an intellectual debate by the way, I like it.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Right, now onto Eliza Dushku vs. Kiefer Sutherland wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oh Dushku's definitely hotter than Sutherland.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Yeah, that's what she thinks. rolleyes
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Btw, at what point does the season start getting "really good" in your opinion? I'm still on the formulaic contained episodes and plan on watching eps 5 + 6 tonight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Episode 6 is where the shit starts to hit the fan.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The cliffhangers are good but are resolved too quickly for my liking. I am hoping for more "wtf?!" stuff that takes a few episodes to be answered.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Well, this isn't Lost. It has them, for sure, but there's more to it than cliffhangers - there are some genuinely shocking and clever moments.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Jon Broxton wrote
    Olivia Williams

Milf, and hot

I agree.

(I love constructive posts).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Olivia Williams? She's attractive, but I've never thought she was hot. I LOVE her character though!

Checked her out, not hot at all.

Thanks Jon for the extensive sum! Sounds cool but i am not too sure it's for me...how's the music like?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Btw why doesn't anyone say anything about how LESS HOT Miracle Laurie looks in comparison to the rest of the.......babes!
  1. Miracle Laurie's not hot, but she's NICE. She's the kind of girl you'd want to come home to, and you'd know that she'd cooked you a lovely dinner and wanted to snuggle up with you.

The music; meh, it's OK. Mychael Danna and Rob Simonsen did the score, and the main theme is by Jonatha Brooke. Standard TV-fare.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thank God for the un-Tv-fairism of tv music by Giacchino then smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    how's the music like?

A mix of "Multiple Jacks" from POTC and Transporter 2 electronics. The same libraries were clearly used.

Edit: Episode 5 was poor. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Jon Broxton wrote
    Miracle Laurie's not hot, but she's NICE. She's the kind of girl you'd want to come home to, and you'd know that she'd cooked you a lovely dinner and wanted to snuggle up with you.

Yeah, I think 'nice' is a more suitable word. But personally I think she's hot too. wink

Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    how's the music like?

A mix of "Multiple Jacks" from POTC and Transporter 2 electronics. The same libraries were clearly used.

Edit: Episode 5 was poor. sad

It wasn't the best one, I have to admit. I still enjoyed it though.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2010
    Onto episode six!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2010 edited
    Wow, I didn't think that episode was going anywhere (Remy!) but the last fifteen minutes were awesome. The twists were cleverly done as I thought [spoiler]Mellie was going to be a doll and someone wound tamper with Echo's imprint[/spoiler] quite early on, but they had so much other stuff going on that by the time it was revealed it was still a surprise.

The only bummer was ending it with a stupid musical montage, I despise shows that do that, unless Giacchino is on board and we get something along the lines of Hurley's Handouts rather than a badly fitting pop song.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    And again, another awesome fight sequence that was better than what most movies put out there. I repeat - whoever the stunt coordinator is on this show is fantastic. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah, episode 6 is a flavour of what the show is really capable of.

I liked the song they used at the end of Epitaph Part 1, specially written for that episode.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2010 edited
    I hope the rest of the season is worthwhile as I've ordered the DVD. Btw, when is season 2 out?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No idea. But there are a few 720p uploads around.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Just to clarify [spoiler]DeWitt knowingly sent the guy who was raping Sierra to be killed by Mellie, but she knows nothing of the catatonic message that Echo gave to Ballard?[/spoiler]
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You are correct, sir.