• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2010
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    IMHO, Michael SHOULD win this hands down. His score is EASILY the best of the bunch!

It's probably my second favourite of the bunch, but it wouldn't get in my top 20 of the year.

It's Top 5 for me... but then again you drooled all over Avatar and that isn't even Top 50 for me.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    For sheer listenability, I'd like Avatar to win it....but it was far from original.
    For originality, The Hurt Locker should take it, even though it's utterly unlistenable.

It's probably gonna go to Desplat.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    I was listening to Fantastic Mr Fox on the way to work today, thinking what a light, fluffy score it is, but it made me smile and that's always a good thing. I'm surprised to see it nominated though. From this list, I'm rooting for Giacchino, but more for a body of work than for UP itself.
  1. UP will win this one, even though I still think AVATAR is the best of them all

The Hurt Locker receives a nomination simply because the movie is considered to be movie of the year, and why Hans Zimmer receives a nomination for this is beyond me, yet again it has to do about the movie's success
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    IMHO, Michael SHOULD win this hands down. His score is EASILY the best of the bunch!

It's probably my second favourite of the bunch, but it wouldn't get in my top 20 of the year.

It's Top 5 for me... but then again you drooled all over Avatar and that isn't even Top 50 for me.

-Erik-

You've heard 50 scores from 2009? shocked
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Married Life is Up's not-so-secret weapon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote

I have about 115 scores from 2009.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven is instantly turned to salt
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2010 edited
    This must be the first year where I've heard every nominated score before they were nominated.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

I have about 115 scores from 2009.

-Erik-

Christ. You're dedicated to the cause, that's for sure.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2010 edited
    Anyone else noticed that two of the best director nominees are ex-husband V ex-wife?! wink

Avatar's James Cameron V The Hurt Locker's Kathryn Bigelow
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    If one of those films get the award, that's gotta suck for the other person!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    One of them will hurt is my guess!? If another director gets it I'm sure they'll console themselves with the thought 'at least he/she didn't get it'.
  2. I'm going to say it. While it's a much shorter score, I think FANTASTIC MR FOX has more going on than the score for UP. I like UP, but for some reason can never really love it. But I love each and every little piece of FOX. I'm surprised the music branch decided to look past the amount of OTHER music in the film though. (As usual, no voter will!)

Of those five... maybe HURT LOCKER? Just because none of the other four strike me as fantastic (not even the self-proclaimed fantastic score), and I haven't heard HURT LOCKER, so it might be. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    If one of those films get the award, that's gotta suck for the other person!

This is what it's going to look like.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Just when I thought that song couldn't get any cheesier.
  3. Frank wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Looking at the list on http://oscar.go.com/nominations/nominees only Avatar, Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Hurt Locker and Sherlock Holmes is listed in "Music (Original Score)" category.

Up isn't listed. Am I reading this wrong or have they got it wrong themselves?

I guess you're reading it wrong because Up is listed when I click on the link.

That damned IE6 we have at work!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorRanietz
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2010
    My guess is that the Oscar for best score goes to the movie which wins the most Oscars in the other categories. Isn't that how it works? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Why the hell do we need another thread in the same name? this thread already exists. Hmmm.... waste of time and space.

http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … cars-2010/
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Sunil wrote
    Why the hell do we need another thread in the same name? this thread already exists. Hmmm.... waste of time and space.

http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … cars-2010/

Good point... my mistake. I will rename the thread.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    I personally don't really care much about the Oscars... they don't have taste. Period. Occassionally they do award the right people, but that's pure coincidence.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Talos wrote
    Occassionally they do award the right people, but that's pure coincidence.

Certainly very good point. They do give award to right people on wrong occasion. For e.g, A.R.Rahman is indeed talented composer, but i personally don't think Slumdog Millionaire deserved to win for best original score. His earlier works are much much better than SM.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2010 edited
    keky wrote
    I am glad that Sherlock Holmes made it into the nominees. It's much better than the over-rated Up, in my opinion.

Quote of the year
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    keky wrote
    I am glad that Sherlock Holmes made it into the nominees. It's much better than the over-rated Up, in my opinion. However I'm rooting for Avatar. That's the best of the lot.

Exactly my opinion too!

I'm surprised that the more artsy stuff, like Korzeniowski's A SINGLE MAN, was overlooked.

You're surprised? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    UP will win this one, even though I still think AVATAR is the best of them all

The Hurt Locker receives a nomination simply because the movie is considered to be movie of the year,

And that makes the snoozfest of a score that accompanies it deserved to be nominated as "best original score"?

I won't comment on Oscars anymore. The topic doesn't concern me anymore, they can do whatever the frack they want, it's known to us all that they will nominate fashionable stuff each and every year no matter what so why even bother? Their studio / producer / finance / fashion-driven criteria renders the 'best original score / song' categories un-important and filler anyway; apart us film score geeks it seems.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Because it's fun to have a bitch and a moan about em cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2010
    All I can say is that we're not the target market to please.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2010 edited
    Here's a pic of all the Oscar nominees together - http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/ … 07d069.jpg

Can you spot our composers there? smile Hans and Giacchino are standing together! James Horner looks too thin though, and I can't spot Desplat there...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2010
    You mean composers are allowed at the front for once? shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2010
    My God, Horner looks anorexic.