• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2007
    Recently been watching alot of Hitchcock: Anyone seen Rebecca lately? I realized that without
    the score the film would have been lost! Hitchcock seemed to really depend on the score in that
    film. I also recently re-watched North By Northwest... which had a good score also, but the film wasn't
    as depended. Anyway, I wanted to ask...
    What is your favorite Hitchcock score?

So far, I would prefer the score for North by Northwest - the love theme is excellent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Was Hitchcock a composer?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2007 edited
    I haven't seen a lot of Hitchcock (most recently Rope and The Birds, which both famously haven't got a score at all :p), but I love Psycho and Vertigo. It's hard for me to think of a better score then Psycho, so I guess that'll be my all-time-favorite Hitchcock score, how cliched the choice might be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    Nautilus wrote
    Was Hitchcock a composer?
    I was referring to the film score for a Hitchcock film... not that scores composed by Hitchcock wink sorry for the miss-clarification wink
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2007 edited
    In no particular order;
    Louis Levy, Hubert Bath and Jack Beaver - Sabotage
    Bernard Herrmann - Vertigo
    Bernard Herrmann - North By Northwest
    Louis Levy and Charles Williams - The Lady Vanishes
    •  
      CommentAuthorMWRuger
    Well the easy answer is just about any Herrmann score. I do love some of the choices made and I sort of agree that he relied on music to carry a film in some cases. Most directors did. But I would also say he was well served by people who knew how to spot music carefully.

Finally, one of my favorite Hitchcok films is The Birds, which isn't scored at all. Even Herrmann thought it was fine without music.
  1. I'd go with one of Herrmann's scores: probably Vertigo followed closely by Psycho. And I've got a soft spot for Herrmann's stripped down score for The Wrong Man.

I'd recommend Jack Sullivan's book "Hitchcock's Music" for anyone who's interested in the music written for his movies - and it doesn't concentrate on Herrmann's contribution:

http://www.amazon.com/Hitchcocks-Music- … amp;sr=8-1
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'd go with one of Herrmann's scores: probably Vertigo followed closely by Psycho. And I've got a soft spot for Herrmann's stripped down score for The Wrong Man.

I like those as well, and would add the main title of NORTH BY NORTHWEST (not the whole score) and THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH to that list.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2007
    bartley wrote
    So far, I would prefer the score for North by Northwest - the love theme is excellent.

Yup, fully agree: my favourite Hitchcock score, and my favourite Herrmann!
    Though I was well (and pleasantly) surprised and impressed with his discarded score for Torn Curtain (available in the FSM Bernstein Box).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2007
    Vertigo by far! cool

I always had a soft spot for Ron Goodwin's Frenzy, would make a great release combined with Henry Mancini's rejected score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2007
    As a listening experience, I think I would have to go for Tiomkin's STRANGERS ON A TRAIN. As a FILM score....well, obviously something Herrmann. PSYCHO, probably.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2007
    If he'd directed Ghost & Mrs Muir, then I'd say that. But he didn't, so I'll say Vertigo (though I find North by Northwest a more enjoyable album)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    As a listening experience, I think I would have to go for Tiomkin's STRANGERS ON A TRAIN. As a FILM score....well, obviously something Herrmann. PSYCHO, probably.

I too would go with Psycho....as a film score, but only just over Vertigo.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm beginning to wonder if I got off on the wrong planet! I cast my one vote for the wonderful Oscar winning Spellbound score. This is a wonderful listening experience away from the film as well as in the film itself. Rozsa did a fine job!
    listen to more classical music!
  3. Best Hitchcock-Score ever?

Signs!!! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    You made me laugh Ralph cheesy !
    But seriously, why has no one mentioned Spellbound?
  4. Thanks, but I believe someone made that joke before, on scorereviews, I believe. But I find it appropriate nevertheless.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2014
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2014/09/05/m … mpilation/

a nice compilation of scores from Hitchcock movies.
    Tom
  5. Tom, you say a couple of times that the Psycho was reworked for this album but you don't really expand on how it is different.

What's different about it compared to other versions?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2014
    His arrangement runs nearly 16 minutes in length which is 90 seconds longer than the original suite Herrmann created for the music material. I'm not sure exactly where the changes are, perhaps this is a question for the society but I can say it is better than the original. Could I say it feels more complete?
    Tom