• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2010 edited
    My answer: extremely! dizzy

01 The MP3 file must read as the track number followed directly by the track name, no . or - inbetween

All Words In Track Titles Must Start With A Capital Letter

If a cue is split into various sections (Part 1) and (Part 2) must be in brackets

Alternate must always be (Alternate), never Alt.

Album Edit must always be (Album Version)

"No quotes"

Versus must always be Vs.

Ampersands (&) are allowed in album names but in track names it must always be spelled "And" e.g. it's ok to have "Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade" but it must be "Father And Son Reunited".

If a track is made up of several cues e.g. "McKay Alone - Night At Ladder Ranch - The Fight" it must always be "-" between tracks instead of "/".

Are there any other weird/OCD-induced rules people follow?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2010
    I'm as insane and OCDy as you concerning music on the puter.

I use track number, a period and then the title, with no spaces in between.

The first letter is a capital letter, and in the rest of the title only names and places are written with capital letters. Of course this compulsion is a bloody pain when it comes to foreign scores, as it can be difficult to figure out what words to capitalize, and I end up having to research the movie online.

I also use parentheses if a cue is in parts, and if a track is made of several cues I also separate them with a -. I use no spaces though.

When a track has a singer I have to write the name in a paranthesis in the track title. Of course this doesn't apply if it's a wordless soprano. Don't ask me why.

My obsessive compulsive rules are too complicated and senseless though. Problem is if I suddenly decide to change any of the rules, then I'll also have to change the track titles of the countless albums that's been named using these rules.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    01 The MP3 file must read as the track number followed directly by the track name, no . or - inbetween

All Words In Track Titles Must Start With A Capital Letter

If a cue is split into various sections (Part 1) and (Part 2) must be in brackets
    Alternate must always be (Alternate), never Alt.

Album Edit must always be (Album Version)

"No quotes"

Versus must always be Vs.

Ampersands (&) are allowed in album names but in track names it must always be spelled "And" e.g. it's ok to have "Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade" but it must be "Father And Son Reunited".

If a track is made up of several cues e.g. "McKay Alone - Night At Ladder Ranch - The Fight" it must always be "-" between tracks instead of "/".

I agree with everything except your first rule: I always, ALWAYS do it "01 - Track title" with the "-" between the number and the track (and a space before and after the "-").
    As for the rest, it is exactly as I do it. Special emphasis on the "All Words In Track Titles Must Start With A Capital Letter" rule.

plindboe wrote
    When a track has a singer I have to write the name in a paranthesis in the track title. Of course this doesn't apply if it's a wordless soprano

Yes!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Wow, I'm.....well, I don't know if 'impressed' is the right word, but perhaps flabbergasted by your responses.

I'm not like that at all. I usually just use whatever track titles the database finds for me. With 1000 albums/15.000 tracks in iTunes, it would take me YEARS to standardize everything. However, I'm pretty consistent in how it is arranged on my HARDDRIVE.

All the albums are located in D:/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music

In there, it's ALL by composers/artist - 229 in total. Each has it own folder, with the individual albums as subfolders. The only exception are various "Various" folders - Various (electronic), Various (party), Various (rock), Various (film music) and so on.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm a lazy OCDer. I'd probably do all of that if I could be arsed.... but I've got so much music in my library it would take an age to sort it all out to my own specifications.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Thor wrote
    The only exception are various "Various" folders - Various (electronic), Various (party), Various (rock), Various (film music) and so on.

Ahh, the "Various" folder. Essential.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Wow, you're anal. That'd take too much time for me, i don't have it i am afraid.

I only have this hierarchy on hard disk:

for instance:

g:music
    |
    |
    TYLER BATES
    |
    |
    The day the earth stood still

(folders and sub-folders that is)

And that's it, minimum metadata tags via winamp, just the composer and track title, sometimes. Then it's the recycle bin.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I arrange my folders like this -

My Music > Hans Zimmer > 2003 - The Last Samurai > 09 - Red Warrior.mp3

I used to properly tag them but I've gotten lazy now, so don't so it much. I prefer labeling the tracks as they were labeled in the original CD. For example in JNH's Dinosaur, I named track 15 as "Kron & Aladar Fight" rather than "Kron And Aladar Fight".
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I have all my Tyler Bates scores archived in the recycle bin. It makes sense for so many reasons.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    I'm just storing them on a separate disk, in a folder 'movies' (next to albums, compilations, ..), every score in separate folder with the movie's name. So totally not ordered by composer.

I've developed my own naming convention for the files, being
    {artist} - {number} - {track name}.mp3 , and an accompanying
    {artist} - 00 - {score name}.m3u

In case there are multiple composers, or songs included, i'm switching to
    {number} - {artist} - {track}.mp3 and
    00 - {score name}.m3u
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    BobdH wrote
    I have all my Tyler Bates scores archived in the recycle bin. It makes sense for so many reasons.

biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    This could be contender for # 1 geeky thread!? biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    Anthony wrote
    BobdH wrote

biggrin

Owned, indeed. tongue
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Timmer wrote

Most definitely. My collection is just ordered by composer, and I have a lot of "various" folders, which I did because I was too lazy. Chaos reigns in my collection.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Bregt wrote
    Chaos reigns in my collection.

freezing
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Timmer wrote

Where is the response "I go to the bookcase ponder for a minute and then select a CD to listen to?"

Golden Age Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Anal? you wanna talk anal?
    Move aside and meet your master.

I have roughly 6500 albums that total about 120,000 tracks.
    To NOT be organized would utterly destroy any hopes for any kind of insight in what I have. The human brain simply cannot deal efficiently with numbers like that without some kind of organization OR process (Thor's method would work fine as well, obviously).

Anyway.
    There are several levels of breakdown in my collection.

The top level is Soundtracks and Non-Soundtracks (Soundtracks are BY FAR the major part of my collection).

Soundtracks are arranged alphabetically, a folder per letter (0-9, A, B, C, etc.)

The soundtracks proper are named
    Sorted Film Title (original name, or game score indication if applicable) - Composer (Year)
    The tracks are tagged by a set tag template I created in my tagging program:
    CD no. if applicable - Track no. - Track Title (artist, if other than main composer)

The Non-Soundtracks are divided into these categories:
    * Classical (self-explanatory, really. Medieval music to modern Morricone avant-garde)
    * Folk & World (Ethnic music, and music based or or influenced by it, from Clannad to Adiemus to Balinese gamelan)
    * Jazz (again self-explanatory, I guess. Tommy Dorsey to Miles Davis)
    * Other (the nigh untaggables. Sound experiments. Cross-over material. Sound Effects. Seasonal music. The works)
    * Popular (Pop and rock mostly, but also some muzak material. Basically 1950s+)
    * Spoken Word (Audio books, radio plays. Lectures...)

Interestingly (a phrase I use with great care and extremely loosely, given the Ultimate Anorak context) I have a different naming convention in the Non-Soundtrack section: these albums are grouped by composer or artist, rather than by title.

The reason for this is historical, really: I tended to buy soundtracks to re-hear the film rather than a specific composer.
    For every other genre I always tracked down a specific artist or composer.
    Of course things changed over time, but the system is stuck in my brain. It's simply the most intuitive for me.

The only category to harbour other sublevels is Spoken Word, which has a rough classification of genres (Action, Drama, Historic, Comedy, Factual, et cetera). Simply because otherwise I'd have very little idea what I'd be going to listen to.

Any audo drama with "Star Wars" or "Batman" in the title of course gives a pretty good indication of what to expect, but a play called "Ghosts" turning out to be a psychological drama, or "Black Velvet" turning out to be a horror drama are rather more unexpected...especially as I don't actually tag them differently: To keep the genres as clear as possible all of these are still tagged as Spoken Word. So I only know the type from the folder they reside in. I have been thinking about this, but short of adding a shitload more tags (Which I really don't want to do), I don't know how to implement this more efficiently.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    You should publish a paper!!!
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    What?
    And be locked up?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Timmer wrote

Where is the response "I go to the bookcase ponder for a minute and then select a CD to listen to?"

Golden Age Tom smile

applause
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Good man. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BobdH wrote

biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.