• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2010
    I couldn't think of where else to put this but check this out, the score is FANTASTIC!

La Cabina

The first part sounds like a marriage between Wojciech Kilar and Ennio Morricone and then from the two minute mark is a very THE OMEN like piece that builds up spectacularly and predates Goldsmith's by 4 years.

I. WANT. IT.

p.s. Marcel is already familiar with this I believe.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Hehe, looks like a bizarre movie. Cool music though, indeed very omeny.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Hehe, looks like a bizarre movie. Cool music though, indeed very omeny.

Peter smile

It's worth watching, it starts like something out of a charlie Chaplin film then turns all Twilight Zone. I think the score is brilliant but I don't think it's available anywhere?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    The film is considered a classic in Spain. It was really an event at the time it was released.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    The film is considered a classic in Spain. It was really an event at the time it was released.

But no soundtrack!? sad slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2010 edited
    I remember you asked about the composer some time ago and it took me a while to find out who did the music. As far as I know, no score was released.

It is actually very good music considering the quality of the spanish scores at that time.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2010
    Wow, very cool I finally got to see this short! I read about it many years ago, before YouTube existed, and have been looking for it ever since, and then plain forgot about it! All I ever saw of it was a still collection with subtitles of what happened but never got to actually see it. Thanx for bringing it up again! Great Twilight Zoney / Roald Dahl kinda short.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    I remember you asked about the composer some time ago and it took me a while to find out who did the music. As far as I know, no score was released.

It is actually very good music considering the quality of the spanish scores at that time.

I think the score is brilliant, up front and in yer face stuff! Bold as brass, give me more of thisd rather than the wallpaper we mostly ( but not always ) get now.
  1. Music illegally uploaded to YouTube can sometimes be a good way to promote it. Case in point: I kept reading all this stuff about hos good David Newman's score to "The Phantom" is, but all the 0:30 samples I found at places just weren't showing me that at all. Then a few weeks ago I searched for it on YouTube and low & behold -- someone uploaded the full CD. I listened to one whole cue: NOW I understand the love for the score.

It's also nice when people create "Bet of" suites, that can introduce you to a composer you knew nothing of, or expand on your knowledge of a previously known composer's work.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    justin boggan wrote
    low & behold

Completely off-topic, but in a strange coincidence I just found that exact same typo in a book I am reading not one hour ago. It struck me as strange and it actually had me musing for a couple of minutes, trying to understand how someone who writes a book, commercially, could make that mistake. What did they think they meant themselves?

And then I log on and see the exact same thing here! Never saw that before and now twice in one hour? dizzy

Not a comment against Justin, obviously.
    Just remarking on the coincidence.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    For intense and purposes it is indeed a strange coincidence.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2010
  2. That's the sort of thing I often take for granite.
  3. Interview about Harry Sukman, who two people who knew him:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzmK9RlxU3c
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. A cue from "Romeo + Juliet" (Craig Armstrong)
    "Escape From Mantua"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRLiM3MLS8k

If you are a fan of the TV series "Buffy the Vamprie Slayer", this video is right up your alley.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2011 edited
    I really like this track by Nile Rogers

The King's Motorcade

I don't remember how much score is in the film?
  5. Probably about 30 minutes, unless anything was dropped or replaced. Another personal favorite that uis still unreleased. Some good stuff, even the classical adapatation when he awakes at the beginning of the film (I can't recall the name of the piece off the top of my head).

I also personally found his effort for the third "Beverly Hills Cop" film to be better than the first two. And I loved the dramaic take he did on the Axel Folytheme.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2011 edited
    A beautiful, gorgeous track here from David Whitaker, unfortunately I believe this is the only piece available from the film.

DOMINIQUE
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2011
    Timmer wrote
    beautiful, gorgeous

I concur. Thanks for sharing. Will have to download it from youtube somehow.

Peter smile
  6. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC-E4la4xjQ

Angel Illarramendi's theme for the film Twice Upon A Yesterday
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Glad you enjoyed it Peter, we need more of whitaker's scores released, there was plans for his score to the Hammer film Doctor Jeckyl & Sister Hyde ( a superb gothic romantic tragi score ) to be released a few years ago, I believe Ford Thaxton mentioned it too but all to no avail so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Admittedly the only Whitaker I know so far is The sword and the sorcerer. Some day I'll have to look into more of his work.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2011 edited
    And that's a really good fantasy score.

There just isn't much available. Just a small suite of Doc Jeckyl & Sister Hyde and Vampire Circus on one of the Silva compilations and a release from the French film Harry, He's Here To Help.

The album I linked on youtube 'The David Whitaker songbook' is very good, you should be able to find it on Amazon for sound clips, quite a few of the tracks are from his lovely score to Run Wild, Run Free, one particular track I adore is 'Pavane', it sounds like it could have been written by French classical composer Gabriel Faure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2011
    I worship this theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZadzRrNfbc

Just wish the soprano had been mixed a little louder, but otherwise it's perfect.

Peter love
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2012
    For those who may not have heard this before here's the alternate 'ENTERPRISE' cue from STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE, it starts at about 1 min 25.

ENTERPRISE

I would buy a two or three disc copy of this score in an instant.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2012
    I SAY down WITH YOUTUBE MUSIC ON facebook AND UP WITH YOUTUBE MUSIC POSTED ON MAINTITLES.

Here's a great track from Leonard Rosenman's LORD OF THE RINGS

HELMS DEEP punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Whaaa!!!! Like! LIKE! LIKE!

By THUNDER!
    Now THAT is Mordorish music!!!

That's my axe right there.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Damn, love that dip into dissonance.
    I really need to listen to this score again.
    Rosenmann's finest hour, as far as I'm concerned.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Damn, love that dip into dissonance.
    I really need to listen to this score again.
    Rosenmann's finest hour, as far as I'm concerned.

I love those 'rams horns?' that give such a forebodding and primitive sound, y'know, the bits that Steven would edit out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Too true!