• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2012 edited
    when I was a very wee young thing this # 1 UK hit single was my all time favourite piece of music....

Hugo Montenegro & His Orchestra

...later on I grew to love the original far more but that version still holds a very fond and nostalgic place in my heart love

The seeds of film music sewn in before I was truly aware of it. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    when I was a very wee young thing this # 1 UK hit single was my all time favourite piece of music....

...later on I grew to love the original far more but that version still holds a very fond and nostalgic place in my heart love

Ha! I've always thought that was the original. I've had it on this CD for many years now:

http://www.amazon.com/Movie-Classics-En … B0000072CH

...and never thought twice about it not being the original, like the end credits arrangement or something (to the extent that there were any end credits to speak of).

Goes to show that I've been watching the film with too long intervals, I guess.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin

The one I listened to as that very wee lad was a 45rpm single, on the B-side was a song, a Jerry Goldsmith composition though that meant nothing to me until some years later.

Afraid I can't remember the title or film the B-side came from.

EDIT: I just looked it up, it was 'There's Got To Be A Better Way' from BANDOLERO.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote

And that album is probably the reason why I'm a morriconian today. My father used to play it when I was a kid, and I worship all the tracks. I even love Montenegro's versions as much as the originals.

Few else have managed to make decent re-arrangments of Morricone. What amazes me is how much he changed them. They have a completely different feel to them. He even took the silly saloon piano tune "Aces high" and made a sublime and atmospheric piece out of it. I had to listen to it many times before it dawned on me that it had the same melody. Morricone's version. Montenegro's version. It strikes me as interesting that Morricone had such a nice theme, but chose to perform it in such a silly way. Makes me speculate wildly whether it was originally intended as a major theme, but Leone didn't like it, so Morricone found some other use for it.

My favourite is probably For a few dollars more.
    And I think my second favourite is The story of a soldier.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2012
    It may surprise certain members that I may like this...but I do.
    Very much, in fact.

In fact, I'm ordering the CD right after this post.
    Blimey, but this is stunning.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2012
    ...it's very pleasent but confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's quite minimalist! smile
    This is the only bit I could find on YouTube. I just finished listening to a rather lofi mp3 version of the entire score. Believe me, it's very good!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You finished the sentence for me, does this mean you'll next be getting into Glass and Nyman? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2012 edited
    Gimme some of that old time film music...

Angelo Lavagnino - The Naked Maja

love
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    You finished the sentence for me, does this mean you'll next be getting into Glass and Nyman? wink

There may be times where I may have slightly overstated my boundless abyss of pitchblack hatred and utter revulsion for minimalism.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2012
    Something to put a smile on your face...

I ADORE YOUR ZOWIE FACE

cheesy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2012
    ...and maybe Tom is familiar with this really cool version from the master of swing arrangements NELSON RIDDLE
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2012
    A really fine chilled out version of Mellin & Reverberi's THE ADVENTURES OF ROBINSON CRUSOE

THE ART OF NOISE

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2012 edited
    Having just watched the wonderful eco sci-fi film SILENT RUNNING I was reminded of this stunning piece of beautiful music by composer Peter Schickele.

TENDING TO HUEY

Give it a listen, it really is one of the most tender pieces of music, sublime even.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2012
    Never understood all the fascination for SILENT RUNNING. Saw the film for the first time a couple of years ago, and found it quite silly, to be honest.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2013
    Surely sooner or later this score gets a release? Anyway, Fox Hunting music ala the master of fox hunting music...........JERRY GOLDSMITH

THE LIST OF ADRIAN MESSENGER
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2013
    One of my all time favourite themes...

MIDNIGHT COWBOY

I really enjoy this version by Barry from his album MOVIOLA. It's still my hope that one day the original film tracks will see the liht of day.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2013 edited
    NOT film music but film music connected....

MOMENTS OF PLEASURE

...the connection being Michael Kamen on orchestral arrangements. cool

Anyone else fancy linking something else film music related? But please, no lists.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2013 edited
    This next connection is Michael Nyman...

SPREAD A LITTLE HAPPINESS

This was from the movie BRIMSTONE & TREACLE
  1. This is supposed to be a sutie of score to the upcoming remake film "Evil Dead", by Roque Baño:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3i-pSZRPMQ

I can't comment yet as I only had time to listen to a minute until other things I wanted to listen to came on.
    You'll need to turn the volume up.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Somebody did an excellent job of making a suite of an excellent Morricone score:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRPwiszRar0
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2013 edited
    Indeed, Justin, that tracks kicks so much rump. I've always thought of it kinda like Ravel's Bolero on drugs.

Anyway, for something more relaxing, I'm sure few/no one here knows this piece. It's pure exquisiteness.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2013
    plindboe wrote
    Indeed, Justin, that tracks kicks so much rump. I've always thought of it kinda like Ravel's Bolero on drugs.

Anyway, for something more relaxing, I'm sure few/no one here knows this piece. It's pure exquisiteness.

Peter smile

I was about to say 'hang on Peter, I have The Red Tent...................'

Yes, lovely theme cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Hehe, indeed. The ruskies for some reason wanted their own composer for the movie. Morricone is the winner in the love theme category, but Zatsepin came surprisingly close with his stunning theme.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

It's a really good score that I enjoy a lot!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2013 edited
    A lovely little piece by French composer Claude Bolling, funky yet incredibly smoooooooooothhhhhhhhhh cool

CLAUDE BOLLING AIR FRANCE FLIGHT VIDEO

I think it's sexy love
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2013
    Timmer wrote
    A lovely little piece by French composer Claude Bolling, funky yet incredibly smoooooooooothhhhhhhhhh cool

I think it's sexy love

I'm not familiar with Bolling at all beyond knowing his name. Is there anyone here who can recommend me anything?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2013
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

I think it's sexy love

I'm not familiar with Bolling at all beyond knowing his name. Is there anyone here who can recommend me anything?

Bump?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2013 edited
    I just love this version of the song from the film MICHAEL COLLINS...

SHE MOVED THROUGH THE FAIR

Anyone else have a favourite version of this? I'd bet Martijn would choose [spoiler]Van Morrison with The Chieftans[/spoiler]
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2013 edited
    ANYTIME

Not film music but the arrangement is by John Barry, I like the harpsicord work in this, if I didn't know it was John Barry I might have guessed Michel Legrand.