• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2012
    Now... let's compare Rosenman's cue with what Shore wrote for the Battle of Helm's Deep.

The Battle of the Hornberg
    The Breach of the Deeping Wall

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2012 edited
    Why? confused

(Great score by Shore. Sure.
    Great score by Rosenmann.
    smile )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    My intent wasn't to start a flame war. I just thought it would be neat to hear how two different composers approached similar narrative. What's wrong with that?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    To honour one of the mentions for the 2000 pick in Alan's thread, here are some excerpts from my own personal spot two in that year's top scores: Nicholas Hooper's magnificent score to Andes To Amazon. Wonderful stuff.

Oh, and the images aren't bad either. cool
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    What's wrong with that?

Absolutely nothing. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    To honour one of the mentions for the 2000 pick in Alan's thread, here are some excerpts from my own personal spot two in that year's top scores: Nicholas Hooper's magnificent score to Andes To Amazon. Wonderful stuff.

Oh, and the images aren't bad either. cool

SWEEEEEEEEEEET! love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2012 edited
    Philippe Sarde - Les Seins de Glace, melancholic, beautiful and strangely unsettling.

Edited to add: Ok, I just looked it up on Google Translator, and "Les seins de glace" means "The breasts of ice". I need to see this movie.

Peter cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2012
    That's a lovely piece, very melancholic.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I knew you'd like it, Timmer.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Philippe Sarde seems to be underrated at this board, IMO he's one of the great film composers, an incredibly versatile musician and perhaps second only to the great Georges Delerue of french film composers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    He seems to be underrated by me as well. I only have 7 of his scores. I'm sure there's much more to him than I currently realize.

Peter smile
  1. Hey, here's a Youtube link to the complete 'Une femme française' score by patrick Doyle. It's a really difficult to find score and a great one, it's worth listening so give it a try.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL … e=view_all

My Favourite cues:
    'Le Bal Russe': it's... well you have to see it to believe it. It's bizzarre, like a combination of Shostakovich and Buno Coulais' 'Coraline'
    'Une femme française': Do you like Morricone? This is for you
    'Jean et Louis': a nostalgic jazz variation on the main theme.
    'Vertige': Doyle goes 'Frankenstein'-like once again.
    'Les Amants': brilliant dramatic stuff.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2012
    A great 'mysterioso' track like only John Barry could do...

PHILOSOPHY
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2012
    Ladder 49: Mucho excellento.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2012
    plindboe wrote
    Ladder 49: Mucho excellento.

Peter smile

Absolutely love this score...
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2012
    cool beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2012
    Some guy on FSM linked this vid. Love it! love

I've heard 4 tracks from Miami Vice, the main theme, Crockett's theme, Forever tonight and this one. Are there more great tracks from this show I'm missing?

Peter punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I quite like a lot of Jan Hammer's stuff but Thor is the man to ask.
  2. Anybody know which episode of "Miami Vice" this is from:

The music I really liked, but it wasn't on that 2CD set from a few years ago. It was the end of an episode -- don't recall what it about. Either Crockett or Tubbs is on their haunches on the street, thinking of some bad memory of something like that, with the partner behind them, and it freeze-frames there and the episode ends.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    Some guy on FSM linked this vid. Love it! love

I've heard 4 tracks from Miami Vice, the main theme, Crockett's theme, Forever tonight and this one. Are there more great tracks from this show I'm missing?

Peter punk

Yes, lots! Many of them are on the 2CD set Justin mentioned:

http://www.amazon.com/Miami-Vice-Collec … B00005YORR

(seems like it's a rarity attracting lots of money now).

I also have a soft spot for Tim Truman's material from season 5, like this gobsmackingly beautiful piece, or this.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    justin boggan wrote
    Anybody know which episode of "Miami Vice" this is from:

The music I really liked, but it wasn't on that 2CD set from a few years ago. It was the end of an episode -- don't recall what it about. Either Crockett or Tubbs is on their haunches on the street, thinking of some bad memory of something like that, with the partner behind them, and it freeze-frames there and the episode ends.

Hmm....no, afraid not. I'm more a fan of the music than the show. I used to watch it as a kid, but that's about it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    One of my all-time favourite obscure western themes.

Peter punk <- multiplied by a million
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote

Excellent track! A more funky and less 'quaint' Morricone, if you will.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    plindboe wrote

...and channeled through Joe Meek, LOVED IT!!! The kind of stuff this thread is about, obscurities and less well known works....BRING EM ON!!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cristian wrote
    Listen to this loud!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XhRPrbtdjc

punk punk punk punk punk

cool

Good stuff Cristian, very Philip Glass'ish and that old film REALLY intrigues me. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor wrote

Thanks. I tried listening on Amazon and while I liked some, many of them admittedly didn't appeal to me. Perhaps the 4 tracks I have are the "best" ones after all.

Thor wroteI also have a soft spot for Tim Truman's material from season 5, like this gobsmackingly beautiful piece, or this.

Very nice. They don't affect me as much as the Hammer pieces I mentioned, but they do have much of the same charm.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2012 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    plindboe wrote

...and channeled through Joe Meek, LOVED IT!!! The kind of stuff this thread is about, obscurities and less well known works....BRING EM ON!!!

I'm happy that you guys love it!!! I find that it's especially the brass in this piece that transforms what would have been an excellent piece into pure bliss.

*looks up Joe Meek on wikipedia

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    Thor wrote

Thanks. I tried listening on Amazon and while I liked some, many of them admittedly didn't appeal to me. Perhaps the 4 tracks I have are the "best" ones after all.

Thor wroteI also have a soft spot for Tim Truman's material from season 5, like this gobsmackingly beautiful piece, or this.

Very nice. They don't affect me as much as the Hammer pieces I mentioned, but they do have much of the same charm.

Peter smile

Yeah, Truman has a bit different sound than Hammer.

Of the tracks on the Hammer 2CD set you should check, I really recommend:

"Tubbs and Valerie"
    "One Way Out"
    "Theresa"
    "Last Flight"
    "Payback"
    "Angelina Flashback"
    "Incoming"
    "The Talk"

Check them out on youtube if they're there.

But really, the whole album is a gem!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    RE: Joe Meek

Legend. Genius. Murderer.

It's quite a story.