• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2010
    I feel this composer derserved a thread because he's just so damn good. I somehow doubt this topic will be bumped though once it has had its moment in the sun. That's the fate of danish composers, they rarely get released and hence remain tragically ignored by the film music community.

I just uploaded a suite of his music on youtube, and I recommend checking it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URoW_eFWm60

The first cue is from "Misery Harbour" and is probably in my top10 of all-time favourite themes, which is quite a feat considering the thousands of themes I've heard over the years. Entirely unknown and unreleased, and still so wonderful.
    The second is from "Europa", a Lars von Trier movie with a mostly depressing score, but not bad at all.
    Third one from "Wilbur wants to kill himself". A gorgeous theme that really gets to you after a few listens. This one wasn't released either, and I had to edit it together from a DVD rip.
    The last cue is from Riget (The kingdom) (another von Trier production). Holbek's most famous theme, and as weird, twisted and silly as they come. Most non-danes probably wouldn't recognize it though, as it's only fans of the series who would recognize it.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Holbæk is an excellent composer! I first saw his name on MISERY HARBOUR, which was a Norwegian film about Aksel Sandemose's life, the man who authored the famous "Jante Law" ("Thou Shalt Not Believe You Are Anyone" etc.) - a law many feel represent the Norwegian spirit well. Like you say, the main theme was particularly striking, although the album as a whole is a bit repetitive (I owned it once).

The von Trier work is pretty good too, along with the Norwegian comedy DETEKTOR.

Thanks for the suite!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ah, from your descriptions, this seems like down my league. Any cd releases?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor wrote
    Holbæk is an excellent composer!

I knew I could count on you, Thor. smile

Thor wrote
    I first saw his name on MISERY HARBOUR, which was a Norwegian film about Aksel Sandemose's life, the man who authored the famous "Jante Law" ("Thou Shalt Not Believe You Are Anyone" etc.) - a law many feel represent the Norwegian spirit well. Like you say, the main theme was particularly striking, although the album as a whole is a bit repetitive (I owned it once).

I agree. The album is orchestral and very impressive, but really the main theme is the only thing that matters. I only have the album on mp3 though and it's kinda poor quality. Is the album a boot, or a legitimate release? Do you remember how the sound quality of it was?

Thor wrote
    The von Trier work is pretty good too, along with the Norwegian comedy DETEKTOR.

I've never heard of that one. How's the music?

Thor wrote
    Thanks for the suite!

Happy to share good stuff like this. Considering how criminally ignored this guy is, I think his work is important to promote.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ah, from your descriptions, this seems like down my league.

Great!

Christodoulides wrote
    Any cd releases?

Unfortunately this guy is so underreleased it's not even funny. I'm only aware of 3 score releases of Holbek's compositions.

1."Misery harbour", which will interest you if you enjoy the theme in the beginning of my suite as much as I do.
    2."Europa", a von Trier film that's admired by many. The score is dark, but listenable throughout. Sadly they've included dialogue over 5 of the tracks. I hate when they do that!
    3."Smukke dreng". This is not my cup of tea. I borrowed it from the library recently and didnt' care for it.
    4-5."Dogville" and "Manderley", which isn't even Holbek compositions. They are Holbek's arrangements of Vivaldi and Antonino, so if you're looking for Holbek these are not the albums to get.
    6.The "Riget" theme was also released as a single.

It's pitiful, I know. Such a talented composer should have more releases out there. Currently there isn't much to choose from. If you're very interested in his music, albums 1 and 2 is the way to go.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2010 edited
    plindboe wrote
    I agree. The album is orchestral and very impressive, but really the main theme is the only thing that matters. I only have the album on mp3 though and it's kinda poor quality. Is the album a boot, or a legitimate release? Do you remember how the sound quality of it was?

It was a regular, commercial release and the sound quality was good. I saw it all the time in used record shops and clearance bins for a while after the release, but haven't seen it much since.

Thor wrote

I've never heard of that one. How's the music?

Again, I really just remember the elegant music over the main titles, I think with pronounced woodwinds. He has a real knack for good melodies.

He also did the first NATTEVAGTEN movie (which was later remade in Hollywood as NIGHT WATCH), but to be honest, it's been so many years since I saw it that I can't remember the music.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2010
    Thor wrote
    It was a regular, commercial release and the sound quality was good. I saw it all the time in used record shops and clearance bins for a while after the release, but haven't seen it much since.

Think I'll try some used records shops. Could get lucky.

Thor wrote
    Again, I really just remember the elegant music over the main titles, I think with pronounced woodwinds. He has a real knack for good melodies.

Indeed! I'll keep an eye out for this movie.

Thor wrote
    He also did the first NATTEVAGTEN movie (which was later remade in Hollywood as NIGHT WATCH), but to be honest, it's been so many years since I saw it that I can't remember the music.

Same here, can't remember a thing about the music, other than the several rock songs in the flick. I have heard good things about the score though.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2010
    Maybe this is something for Mikael to step in and investigate.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!