• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2010
    Should I pay money to wordpress so I can upload audio clips to my http://sdtom.wordpress.com/ or should I put up every review I do on maintitles and have Thomas/Bregt add an audio clip to the review, with permission from the record label, to each one. I've been on wordpress now for 4 years so it is difficult for me to switch. Please advise.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
  1. Tom, the more reviews of yours appear on MainTitles, the better for the readership of them, I think. And you are promoting older music, which some major websites refuse to do (Clemmensen recently refused to review Ben Hur, because it was too old!). So the more reviews appear here, the more readers they will get, the more people will hear of the music. So I would completely switch to MT.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. You can host uadio free at YouTube, if you got permission.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. I know one thing, MainTitles will be happy to have you here full time wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2010
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I know one thing, MainTitles will be happy to have you here full time wink

I certainly like the idea but very early on Erik and I discussed the issue of being in control which I am with my blog/website. I couldn't put up the audio clips and would have to depend on Bregt. The audio part could be added at a later date, however because I can put up my own reviews pretty easily. Still thinking.
    Thomas
  4. Sounds like being in control is important to you. I'd suggest that you link clips from your reviews to YouTube, Amazon, etc rather than paying to add them yourself.

Is the permissions you have for any clip you choose or do you have to get a specific clip approved?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2010
    The thing that I do want to do is include a complete track, which would require permission if I want to put them up at 128. My cost for 3gigs at Wordpress is only $20.00 however I'm thinking about hosting myself as opposed to having them host me. By hosting myself I can do a lot more. Still thinking.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2010
    sdtom wrote
    The thing that I do want to do is include a complete track, which would require permission if I want to put them up at 128.

It will cost you a FORTUNE to get the rights to play complete tracks. 30 seconds is enough.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    If Delos as an example says it is ok to offer one track I still have to pay? confused confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    If Delos owns the rights, I would say it's probably OK...but it's a legal minefield out there once you start going that route. In The Netherlands there may be up to eight different organizations in some way connected to music rights (publishing rights, broadcasting rights, reproduction rights, international artist's rights...), and they'll hammer you from all sides to get money.

I can't imagine the US being much different.
    Get some very good advice, preferably from someone within the business (preferably from someone who's well into US copyright law), before you start this, Tom.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    From purely my own point of view, I don't think it's worth paying anything for this. If your written word is strong enough (like Tom's) then audio clips are not necessary - you can illustrate all you need to through your writing.

I've never once clicked to listen to a sound clip which was associated with a soundtrack review. However, I realise I may well be an exception.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    From purely my own point of view, I don't think it's worth paying anything for this. If your written word is strong enough (like Tom's) then audio clips are not necessary - you can illustrate all you need to through your writing.

I've never once clicked to listen to a sound clip which was associated with a soundtrack review.

yeah
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Southall wrote

I've never once clicked to listen to a sound clip which was associated with a soundtrack review. However, I realise I may well be an exception.

You do make a good point James.
    Tom smile
  5. Southall wrote

I think that having clips does add to the words of a review. But it's so easy to find clips on online stores that the inclusion of clips within a review is really only useful for people who are too lazy to go a-hunting.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2010
    I really appreciate all of the feedback. This is helping me come to a decision.
    Thomas