• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2010
    All under YOUR control including casting, directing, composer etc, which book that you've read would you like to see get the cinematic treatment or even a remake of something you felt was poor the first time around or needs up-dating?

My choice would be my recent read of Bernard Cornwall's AZINGCOURT, as sheakspeare's play ( Henry V ) it's been filmed numerous times but never with the gut wrenching blood soaked shit your pants realism of Cornwall's fact based novel.

One of England's greatest victories against overwhelming odds against a French army on French soil would make for some spectacle, I'm not sure about casting choices but it certainly WON'T be people with hollywood teeth and the likes of Orlando Bloom who doesn't look like he could fight his way out of a wet mist, Mell Gibson with his proven track record would be a great choice to direct though I'm not sure about his 'anti-British' stance wink

Score wise I'd love to go with John Barry but it would be the john Barry that scored The Lion In Winter and that ain't going to happen so I might even take a chance on someone left of field like Philippe Sarde, a composer of great and yet, underrated abilities. Frenchman scores France worst ever defeat, I like the irony. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2010 edited
    There's a trilogy of hockey books that I read as a kid that I would love nothing more to see on the big screen. The first book tells the story of the formation of a new high school hockey team in Winnipeg. The main character already an established high school hockey player is forced to leave his former teammates and his dreams of a provincial championship with the opening of a new school in his district. The second book tells the story of the least experienced player on the team - a Polish immigrant - who goes from barely able to skate to becoming a draft pick of the Toronto Maple Leafs. The third book tells the story of this Polish kid who eventually realizes his dream and gets to dress for the Toronto Maple Leafs and skate on the legendary ice of Maple Leaf Gardens.

Scrubs on Skates/Boy On Defense/A Boy At Leafs' Camp is something that I've always wanted to film and if I ever got the shot to make just one flick I would tell these stories.

Score wise I think I would work with James Peterson or Christopher Gordon.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The God Delusion.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The Very Hungry Caterpillar
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Anthony wrote
    The Very Hungry Caterpillar

Ugh. Another Jim Carrey movie. rolleyes
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    The Stars' Tennis Balls by Stephen Fry

A modern day Count of Monte Cristo revenge tale. With a score by Cyril Morin punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    THE AMAZING ADVENTURES OF KAVALIER AND CLAYMICHAEL CHABON This was a pulitzer prize winner and I think would make a good film.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  1. MEG smile

But then the book version
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    sdtom wrote
    THE AMAZING ADVENTURES OF KAVALIER AND CLAYMICHAEL CHABON This was a pulitzer prize winner and I think would make a good film.
    Thomas

I actually glanced at this book on my shelf when I saw this thread.

I've yet to read it though - I've enjoyed some of Chabon's writing - is it any good?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. Tom Clancy - Rainbow Six

I love Clancy's style and attention to detail and... I am a SWAT geek, so filming an anti-terrorist assault would be a dream come true to me!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Clancy's price is high, however.
  3. I know, but a decent movie from his novel hasn't been made for years. The only good thing about Sum of All Fears was the exquisite Goldsmith score, Clear and Present Danger was decent, but TOO simplified and losing basically half of the epic background. It takes about 100-150 pages in the novel for Jack Ryan to appear for the first time!. Patriot Games was, to me, actually better than the novel, which was pretty much too complex at times (though the film misses one cool character) and the ending is way over the top. Hunt for Red October lost complexity in the movie and we don't get a sense that we're on the verge of war, but still, thanks to the acting, the score AND McTiernan's good direction, is a good thriller.

Another novel to be definitely made is The Cardinal of the Kremlin. Great spy novel (rather than political), with some great ideas and suspense and a very good Afghanistan subplot, which probably woudl have to be a bit cut down.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJon Broxton
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2010 edited
    Timothy Zahn's Star Wars "Thrawn" trilogy - Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising and The Last Command - which continue the Star Wars story from immediately after the conclusion of Return of the Jedi.

James Peterson, Douglas Pipes and Jane Antonia Cornish would score one each.
  4. On my Clancy stuff, especially Rainbow Six, I'd go with Zimmer. Hans did very good work with special operations teams already (especially The Rock and Peacemaker). With right demands over something like Cardinal of the Kremlin (which is not a John Barry type of spy thriller, Clancy's style is *very* technological), he would deliver too.
  5. Jon Broxton wrote
    Timothy Zahn's Star Wars "Thrawn" trilogy - Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising and The Last Command - which continue the Star Wars story from immediately after the conclusion of Return of the Jedi.

James Peterson, Douglas Pipes and Jane Antonia Cornish would score one each.

Not quite immediately, it's a few years after RotJ (and mind you, Han and Leia are married already), but yes that was actually the idea, to make episodes 7-9 adaptations of Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy. Lucas himself was so impressed with the ideas that it made him make Coruscant the capital of both Old Republic and Empire.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    PawelStroinski wrote
    but yes that was actually the idea, to make episodes 7-9 adaptations of Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy.

No, it wasn't.
    Lucas commissioned a slew of Star Wars mechandise (most notably the novels and the comics) to retain interest in Star Wars until he could get his prequel trilogy off the ground, which was all he ever expressed any real involvement in.

Any sequel suggestions were always handled with a coy wink and a "well, you never know", which always made HUGE waves in the Star Wars fan community. But then Lucas has a bit of a history on going back and forth on ideas.

The Coruscant story is very true, though!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorRanietz
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2010
    I remember reading a lot of books by Alistair MacLean in my teens. Many have already been made into movies (Where Eagles Dare, Ice Station Zebra), but nothing recently. I would love to see some more movies based on his books. Even a remake, but leave Where Eagles Dare alone. A remake of that one will surely not hold up to the original.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2010 edited
    Ranietz wrote
    I remember reading a lot of books by Alistair MacLean in my teens. Many have already been made into movies (Where Eagles Dare, Ice Station Zebra), but nothing recently. I would love to see some more movies based on his books. Even a remake, but leave Where Eagles Dare alone. A remake of that one will surely not hold up to the original.

One's I can think of off the cuff besides the two you mention, and who scored them ( where I know ) ...

The Guns of Navarone - Dimitri Tiomkin
    Force 10 From Navarone - Ron Goodwin
    Fear Is The Key - Piero Piccioni
    The Satan Bug - Jerry Goldsmith
    When 8 Bells Toll - Angela Morley ( as Walter Stott ) ...I'd love to have this on CD.
    Puppet On A Chain - ?
    Bear Island - ?
    Breakheart Pass - Jerry Goldsmith

I've never read any of his books.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I just found out that "The Girl With A Dragon Tattoo has already been made into a movie. I saw the previews last night. Made in Sweden.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    I just found out that "The Girl With A Dragon Tattoo has already been made into a movie. I saw the previews last night. Made in Sweden.
    Thomas

According to Empire magazine there's already plans for an American remake.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    The God Delusion.

Starring Martijn no doubt?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, that takes care of the God part.
    But who's gonna play the Delusion?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    a small tip of the hat to your quick wit sir
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Tattoo is the first of the trilogy too!! I really enjoyed the book.
    • CommentAuthorAD
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2010
    Stephen King once said that books and their film adaptations are like apples and oranges. Both are delicious, but they don't taste the same.

It would be interesting to see The Catcher in the Rye be made into a film, now that Salinger (who was vehemently against the idea) has passed away.

I would also really like to see The Kite Runner remade sometime in the future (not sure if it is possible though). I thought it was a total mess compared to a masterpiece of a book. The casting was disastrous. I was expecting better from Marc Forster especially after Finding Neverland.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2010
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

Not so strange, since it's a Swedish book.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thor wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

I don't think that the book got nearly the press that it did in other parts of the world thus the Swedish film of it will only be in the arthouses in the US.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    Thor wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

I don't think that the book got nearly the press that it did in other parts of the world thus the Swedish film of it will only be in the arthouses in the US.
    Thomas

That's too bad, because it's a very mainstream and Hollywood-like film; nothing "arthouse" about it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2010
    I understand that Hollywood is going to redo it in 2012
    Thomas