• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2010 edited

Yes, John Ottman proved that!

But - having said that - I generally HATE HATE HATE when a composer's theme for a film is used in a subsequent score written by a different composer UNLESS the new composer has a similar style to the older one. When they don't (see Ottman's Superman, or Tyler's Rambo, or Young's Spiderman) then it just sounds jarring and horrible to me.
  1. Christopher Gordon for score. No Williams theme necessary.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2010
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christopher Gordon for score. No Williams theme necessary.

Brilliant idea. Especially if it's a reinterpretation of Superman which it will be under Nolan. But it's Nolan so we can forget about any ideas of Gordon scoring.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I have a feeling he'll hire Zimmer again.
  2. Maybe only as a producer, but yes.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'm surprised that nobody has thought of this before, but I started thinking - "Imagine if Christopher Nolan were as bad at choosing actors for superhero films as he is at choosing composers..."

On that note:

Superman - Richard Griffiths
    Lois Lane - Will Ferrell
    Lex Luthor - Dale Winton
    ...and Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln
  3. Nolan has a specific vision of soundscape, that's all. You just don't agree with that vision.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nope!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Southall wrote

Thanks, James!

NOT the sort of image I wanted on a Friday afternoon. Or anytime really.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2010 edited
    Southall wrote
    I'm surprised that nobody has thought of this before, but I started thinking - "Imagine if Christopher Nolan were as bad at choosing actors for superhero films as he is at choosing composers..."

On that note:

Lois Lane - Will Ferrell
    Lex Luthor - Dale Winton
    ...and Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

Exceptional choices James, you are to be commended for such a bold move and in an alternate world you would be my choice of casting director for every film made.

I particularly like Dale Winton as Lex Luthor, this makes a brilliant foil for Richard Griffith's, Superman who'll play the role ala Uncle Monty from Withnail & I.

As for Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln, I'm of the judgement that if something isn't broken then don't fix it, Rex is a sho' in as Abe.

I would have suggested the angelic innocence of Katie Price ( aka Jordan ) for Lois Lane but I bow to your better judgement.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Nolan has a specific vision of soundscape, that's all. You just don't agree with that vision.

The sky is also blue.
  5. Well, the thing is that I do agree with how he sees the music in his movies and to be honest the only blunders I remember from Dark Knight were actually JNH's
  6. I do have to agree with that about JNH. It was a bit the same with BATMAN BEGINS... in the context of Zimmer's mostly sound design approach, just about any lush melody seemed to sound out of place. Had the films been scored differently overall, that probably wouldn't have been the case.

I understand for my part that the sound design approach is a creative choice, and that from that point of view, it's not particularly bad. However I'm also aware of the utter gulf between what gets written under Zimmer when sound design is called for, and what gets written, for example, by Elliot Goldenthal (HEAT, IN DREAMS) or Christopher Gordon (DAYBREAKERS, SALEM'S LOT) or Alexandre Desplat (SYRIANA) when melody is eschewed for atmosphere. Nearly in every question that concerns Hans Zimmer's compositional ability, there is always someone better who was less well-positioned to get the gig.
  7. I don't mind the bigger lushness of JNH's material, it's rather the fact that JNH doesn't bring anything new to the visuals. He just repeats the message of the scene, like Dent talks about ORDER and LAW and JNH adds Copland to it - the scene is Americana enough already!

I didn't mind the Rachel theme in Batman Begins at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I don't mind the bigger lushness of JNH's material, it's rather the fact that JNH doesn't bring anything new to the visuals. He just repeats the message of the scene, like Dent talks about ORDER and LAW and JNH adds Copland to it - the scene is Americana enough already!

That's your criticism? That JNH reflected what's happening on screen with his music?

Brilliant. biggrin
  8. No, the criticism is that he stated the obvious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2010
    Come to think of it, so did Zimmer when he scored the action scenes with action music. shocked Jeez, what a couple of hacks they are!
  9. Reflecting the pace of the scene with music and its dynamics and saying "Sun is above us" (which is a kind of thing JNH did with the Dent theme, it's a case of bad spotting to me) is something quite else.
  10. OK, remembered another blunder, this time Zimmer's - the music in the final scenes is too dramatic. Actually those scenes should have been silent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2010 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Reflecting the pace of the scene with music and its dynamics and saying "Sun is above us" (which is a kind of thing JNH did with the Dent theme, it's a case of bad spotting to me) is something quite else.

Hey you! Leave JNH alone! You... fucker.

shocked
  11. Gotta agree. I know a lot of people ONLY liked the Harvey Dent stuff on album, but it stood out like a sore thumb against the general sound of the film.
  12. I didn't findi t incoherent, just too obvious.
  13. cool, Zimmer doing the Superman theme punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2010
    You all whine too much. Whatever the movie is, everyone can always bitch how they would like it to look or sound differently, that's life. Fact is however, that Nolan's audio-visual vision for the Batman is both up to date, very spot on and fitting to what he's doing overall. Yes, it has flaws too. So what? Who doesn't ? I personally find it very delightful and i only wish he continues in the same grim and realistic ways with the Superman material as well.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I don't think it's so bad to whine when you see a pair of films which are prevented from being great by their scores. It's a real shame.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2010 edited
    It's that everyone always wishes for the same thing, i.e. more orchestral sounding scores, and big bold themes. They can't possibly fit in every single movie and when such scores are produced, most of the times sound identical to bolder composers' works (all the little John Williams / Goldsmith sounding scores that are popping out from time to time but you forget after a month or so 'cause they usually lack substance, for instance). At least Zimmer's / JNH's sound for the Batman is unique and completely recognizable.

The wish for more scores by composers, great ones, like Christopher Gordon for instance, is completely valid and i wholeheartedly agree with you as i too die a little inside each and every time i see another Zanelli or Haslinger or Bates or Djawadi scored crap, but i just think we ought to leave Nolan and his musical choices alone 'cause they're not in that rule; they simply work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    It's that everyone always wishes for the same thing, i.e. more orchestral sounding scores, and big bold themes. They can't possibly fit in every single movie and when such scores are produced, most of the times sound identical to bolder composers' works (all the little John Williams / Goldsmith sounding scores that are popping out from time to time but you forget after a month or so 'cause they usually lack substance, for instance). At least Zimmer's / JNH's sound for the Batman is unique and completely recognizable.

The wish for more scores by composers, great ones, like Christopher Gordon for instance, is completely valid and i wholeheartedly agree with you as i too die a little inside each and every time i see another Zanelli or Haslinger or Bates or Djawadi scored crap, but i just think we ought to leave Nolan and his musical choices alone 'cause they're not in that rule; they simply work.

No they don't. smile And I don't want a big orchestral score, I never said I did - would clearly be wrong for these films. I just want one that works.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh, it does.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I would have loved to see Badelt working on the franchise.
    Equilibrium meets Time Machine pretty much would do it for me.

<takes time out to comfort Southall and Timmer rolling over the floor in synchronised agony. Well, not comfort, as such. Rather more rating the obligatory element of Simultaneous Turbo-Barfing. Afraid I can just award a 3.5 on that one, boys, as there are no chunky bits on the windows.>
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I love the score to The Dark Knight, but I think I enjoy it more as album than a score. I agree with James that the movie deserved a 'better' score (something Goldenthally), but unlike James I think it still worked in the movie. For me it did anyway, even though -again- I would have preferred a different score. (Though Zimmer hit a home run with this Joker "theme" in my opinion.)