• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2010
    Looks like Mr. Nolan will be the man behind the making of the next Superman movie.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocom … ory-1.html
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Will probably be a great Superman film.

WILL have the lamest score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin

Touché.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Amazing news, if he did for the Superman franchise, what he did for Batman, the results will be outstanding. As for the crap scores you accuse him for, you surely prefer an impersonal, yawn-inducing totally forgettable John Ottman thingy over it instead, don't you?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, at least Singer got Ottman to use THE iconic theme.
    The Batman reboot had just droning.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Martijn wrote

You want to go back to the Hefti or Elfman - or both?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Just droning to your ears. It's not for everyone for sure, but the Nolan batman universe in all aspects is very apt and up to date. At least most of the non film score fans i know, young students of mine, i.e. the new generations absolutely love it and it's not like it's Djawadi-sounding crap or anything. Plus the sound design aspect of it, esp. the 2nd movie, is something you have to acknowledge, whether you like the scores or not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2010 edited
    Martijn wrote

Well, ok. Nostalgia served well in a single track then. But what about the rest of the 2 hours of impersonal orchestral ramble?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's better than droning. I can tell you that much!

(And I don't necessarily disagree about the aptness of the Bats scores in the film, but it's absolutely unlistenable as a standalone soundtrack)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Unlistenable on cd? Well, not for everyone it seems, including me. smile It's all relevant and subjective in the end, and Nolan created a very fitting and personal audio-visual identity for Batman which many people really love, that's my point. If he can do it for Superman too, after the most recent ridicule the character got in the cinematic treatment, then i'm all in for whatever he brings.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Unlistenable on cd? Well, not for everyone it seems, including me. smile

But as a sound design major, you may be a little biased as to the technology... smile You can't deny it's hardly a general favourite, and nowhere near as memorable as Elfman's or Riddle's take.

Christodoulides wrote
    a very fitting and personal audio-visual identity for Batman

Identity?
    I would go along as far as the sound design works for the grittiness of the films, but for the life of me I couldn't find a proper identity there (I would define "identity" as hearing a sound/theme that immediately and unmistakably relates to the character. I.e. a low strung bass will forever be Jaws. A metallic growl would be a Terminator. That sort of thing.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    It's too bad, because Nolan has a lot going for him. A pity that his philosophy of film scores SUCKS.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    People, let's be a more realistic. Just because it's a different design and not conventional as in different to what we've been used to so far, that doesn't render it invalid. The flapping of the bat wings, the d-f two note batman motif, the action material with the same recurring themes in batman begins and a dark knight IS an unmistakable identity for Batman, and the same goes for the frantic sonic universe he created for the Joker character.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn wrote

Well, ok. Nostalgia served well in a single track then. But what about the rest of the 2 hours of impersonal orchestral ramble?

I actually quite like Ottman's score to Superman Returns. And Williams' theme is more than just nostalgia: it's an awesome theme.
  2. But the thing is that one awesome theme doesn't make a score. It makes it just pure nostalgia.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh it is. It's absolutely mindblowing. But i have the original scores to listen to which are more than just the theme. But when it reappears in a new score once and people rave about that reappearance instead of the rest of the score, then what do you call that? If you liked Ottman's score, that's fair enough. I found it completely forgettable orchestral drone, as i'd describe most of his scores anyway. Not my cup of tea.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    The flapping of the bat wings, the d-f two note batman motif, the action material with the same recurring themes in batman begins and a dark knight IS an unmistakable identity for Batman, and the same goes for the frantic sonic universe he created for the Joker character.

I'm sorry, D., but I really can't hear it.
    To my ears it's completely generic sound design drone as we are hearing in many, many horror/sci-fi flicks these days (thank you very much, BT and Haslinger slant ), "funned up" with some silly gimmicks (like the sound of bat wings. How unexpectedly clever and innovative rolleyes ).

I agree with you on Ottman's score for Superman Returns, though.
    I really like Ottman's work on Apt Pupil, which still is his strongest and most melodic and thematic work to date in my mind. But -especially when offset against Williams' legendary theme (which Ottman did arrange and incorporate very enjoyably, I have to say!)-, the score for Superman Returns, while functional and certainly not bad, to me sounds very pale and generic indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    But the thing is that one awesome theme doesn't make a score. It makes it just pure nostalgia.

Eh?
  3. I mean that using an awesome theme a few times makes the whole score nostalgic not quality. Even Superman theme won't save a bad score.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That's the thing, I'd still like the score even if didn't have that theme. Not a great score, but not bad either. Also, I have no nostalgic feelings towards the original film whatsoever, I just love the theme because it's a great piece of music.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I mean that using an awesome theme a few times makes the whole score nostalgic not quality. Even Superman theme won't save a bad score.

Does Arnold's use of the Bond theme make Bond nostalgic.

No!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. I think Nolan's film scores are effective in his films (the three I've actually seen). I understand that his earlier films have scores that also lend a feeling or tone to the on-screen action but don't really shine or stick out much. Is this the case? I think his batman scores are probably the most thematically interesting scores that he's had for his films.

It will be interesting to see Nolan's take on Superman. I don't think the Superman storyline lends itself to Nolan's dark style, but he'll probably take it in a completely different direction that ends up being fantastic. I can't imagine a superman film without bombastic music to accompany it, but I guess we'll see what Nolan ends up wanting.

I found Ottman's score for superman to be more enjoyable than either of Nolan's batman films. Sure Williams themes (the main theme and love theme) were the best parts of that score, but Ottman had an original theme in there that I really liked, too, and some more interesting stuff inbetween those themes than most of the "in-between" music from Nolan's batman films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ottman's score was crap. Period.
  5. That's a great argument there, D
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

I'm not a fan of Ottman's by any stretch but I thought his score for Supes was okay and I'd buy it if I ever saw it cheap enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

I guess it's not for everyone, but I've never understood why Ottman gets so much flak? *shrug*
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I never understood why he got all that big projects? I mean if someone can explain?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    And I want to know why Harry Gregson-Williams gets big projects.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ...because he's Hans mate rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I mean that using an awesome theme a few times makes the whole score nostalgic not quality. Even Superman theme won't save a bad score.

Yes, John Ottman proved that!

Even so, post #2 in this thread captures all my thoughts.