• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2010
    Seeing as there is no composer thread for Roy Budd I thought it was appropriate to do one now considering the imminent re-releases of Fear Is The Key, The Wild Geese and Get Carter on the Silva Screen label. cool

Budd was a jazz musician, composer and arranger who died tragically young at the age of 46 back in 1993, legend has it that he broke into film scoring by taking a tape of his "work" to a film producer and that the tape was full of score segments from the likes of Jerry Goldsmith and Elmer Bernstein. biggrin Budd got the gig.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    This comment Tim would have been a great true or false question.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2010 edited
    He's a really good composer. The Marseille Contract (Jazz It Up) and Fear is the Key (The Car Chase) include some of the coolest action cues I've ever heard.

One of his last pictures was a Dutch war film called Field of Honor. I was under the impression he retired after having written the music for this film, but apparently he did one more in 1987.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    This comment Tim would have been a great true or false question.
    Thomas

cry

I missed the bus here Tom. slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Joep wrote
    He's a really good composer. The Marseille Contract (Jazz It Up) and Fear is the Key (The Car Chase) include some of the coolest action cues I've ever heard.

One of his last pictures was a Dutch war film called Field of Honor. I was under the impression he retired after having written the music for this film, but apparently he did one more in 1987.

'The Car Chase' is excellent! I really hope that the Silva release will get rid of the sound effects. Budd was a fine film composer, his GET CARTER is one of the most iconic themes ever written and is still popular now.

I would strongly recommend many members of this board to check out his war movie score THE WILD GEESE, an excellent thematic in-your-face score in a Ron Goodwin tradition.
  1. From what I've read Silva is doing a straight re-release of the older Cinephile titles. Do these contain sound effects?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    From what I've read Silva is doing a straight re-release of the older Cinephile titles. Do these contain sound effects?

Only on Fear Is The Key.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2010
    I don't think there will be any sound effects
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2010
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2010/08/07/g … rroy-budd/

and yes there are a couple of tracks with sound effects
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Good review Tom, I think I'll get this ( I only have the main theme on a compilation.

I'm really looking forward to the re-release of Budd's THE WILD GEESE, a superb 'boys own' war adventure score, will you be reviewing this one too?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    since i review for silva the answer is yes to The Wild Geese, a favorite of mine also.

I'm having yet another listen to something on my mind. strong track!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2012
    Just noticed it has been almost two years since this thread has been used. Just got "Soldier Blue," a Silva re-release for review. It also includes Catlow and Zeppelin.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Zeppelin! Really!
    I've been looking for that score!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Martijn wrote
    Zeppelin! Really!
    I've been looking for that score!

There's only 2 tracks: the main theme and a song.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Then you would have two more tracks than what you've got now.
    Tom
  3. sdtom wrote
    Then you would have two more tracks than what you've got now.
    Tom

As with my post Tom, you are factually correct.