• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2010
    Brutal, epic, remarkable
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  1. Heavily looking forward to the series. I will miss the premiere due to me not being in on the day, but next day they repeat it at 10 PM which means I am watching it in HD on HBO, which we got just to watch it!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. brother, you're taping this right?

looking forward to this too smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. Won't this be on at the end of the month? And if we miss it, it should be an instant must-buy on blu, where it will really shine !!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2010
    A great opening episode! [spoiler]Love the beach landing! I chuckled a bit! Right then and there the director separates this mini-series from Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan. This is a very different beast![/spoiler]

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2010
    Erik Woods wrote
    A great opening episode! [spoiler]Love the beach landing! I chuckled a bit! Right then and there the director separates this mini-series from Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan. This is a very different beast![/spoiler]

-Erik-

I'm seeing and feeling a bit of The Thin Red Line in there, especially with the "Dear Vera" character voiceover. I got immediately taken back to Jim Caveziel's character in TTRL, minus the southern twang.
  4. DreamTheater wrote
    Won't this be on at the end of the month? And if we miss it, it should be an instant must-buy on blu, where it will really shine !!

you should know it better dude, you've got the program smile
    anyway, would be cool to check it out first, then on Blu-ray wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I'm seeing and feeling a bit of The Thin Red Line in there, especially with the "Dear Vera" character voiceover. I got immediately taken back to Jim Caveziel's character in TTRL, minus the southern twang.

Pacific Theatre, as far as I know, was very different from the war in Europe. You didn't fight in towns there, so no urban warfare which was, I dare to say, much more predictable than what we see in The Pacific. And boredom until series of attacks, yeah. This is a very different beast because the war was a different beast.

The series are great and because it's made the way it is (I agree with lp here), the idea of making the score a sort of Coplandesque twist on The Thin Red Line makes much sense. Perhaps some of the visuals ([spoiler]the first episode is set in Guadalcanal which is of course the same place The Thin Red Line was set in[/spoiler]) were even inspired by Malick's movie. The voiceovers reminded me more of Ben Chaplin's character, maybe because it was in the form of letters.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2010
    PawelStroinski wrote
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Pacific Theatre, as far as I know, was very different from the war in Europe. You didn't fight in towns there, so no urban warfare which was, I dare to say, much more predictable than what we see in The Pacific. And boredom until series of attacks, yeah. This is a very different beast because the war was a different beast.

The series are great and because it's made the way it is (I agree with lp here), the idea of making the score a sort of Coplandesque twist on The Thin Red Line makes much sense. Perhaps some of the visuals ([spoiler]the first episode is set in Guadalcanal which is of course the same place The Thin Red Line was set in[/spoiler]) were even inspired by Malick's movie. The voiceovers reminded me more of Ben Chaplin's character, maybe because it was in the form of letters.

I agree, very good first episode. Oh, and the score has nothing to envy to Kamen´s Band of Brothers.
  6. Well, Kamen was simply better written. The score works rather well and it's nice to have some suspense setpieces. In case of that particular theatre it makes sense, because, as far as I know it, simply the wait for "action" was much, much longer and there were many false alarms. Not so much in Europe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2010
    Just watched the last episode and I have to say the whole series is very, very good on all levels. The last episode is sublime, very moving and emotional. Score wise, the show has been fantastic, and the rendition of all the main themes in the last episode is nothing but great. It's been a pleasure.
  7. Looking forward to seeing it as well. There is something about war movies or series that it grips you by the throat in a way that no other genre can do. A good realistic war film is a bit like the ultimate horror film IMO. Only the horror comes from man itself.

With this and Saving Private Ryan coming out on blu, I'll have my share of horror to go through soon.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010
    I'm sure it's very good, but to be honest I'm just not in the mood to see yet another world war 2 story.

I wouldn't mind a Vietnam mini series.
  8. The Pacific is more about horror of war than SPR was. It deals A LOT with how the horrors of war influence a single soldier. Without spoiling anything, I think it's shown the best with Eugene Sledge's storyline, a character that particularly struggles to stay human during the course of the war (and interestingly the character who voiced his will to go to fight himself).

Don't let Zimmer's main theme honorability fool you. It's completely not about heroism. The series was what I hoped for. I've read a bit on the war on Pacific and I was shocked that (before the series) nobody went to make an SPR treatment of that war.

I am happy to see that The Pacific was really The Thin Red Line meets Saving Private Ryan. Again, without spoiling anything. The Thin Red Line (my all-time favorite movie AND score, one I value even more knowing that it gave me very nice contact with Hans Zimmer himself) is a movie about horrors of war. Who read my article knows, the omnipresent fear, the discussions on evil happening. The movie is more about mental violence than physical. One of things that always shock me and move to the core in The Thin Red Line is the depiction of Japanese soldiers. Americans are simply scared shitless, constantly. The Japanese prisoners are on verge of madness.

Pacific has that. Pacific has a thing which I feared they might have not shown - the American treatment of the Japanese - NOT very good. This is particularly shocking in one episode about Peleliu and I am very happy that they actually depicted that particular battle.

Great series. No, it's not Band of Brothers. It never planned to be a simple rehash of that in the jungle. This is a series showing war is worse than hell. That war destroys people who are soldiers. This is more of a psychological drama than typical war series. Whoever expects constant fighting, misses the point.

The score, being a slightly more Americana twist on Zimmer's TTRL sound, fits very well and the nature of the series demands that kind of sound. I would say that Zimmer's Iwo Jima piece is the best I've heard in the whole series. I also have a thing for Zanelli's Peleliu/Sledge's theme, even if it sounds like a variation on Crimson Tide turning into a variation of The Thin Red Line's Light (the latter may be the theme's appeal to me biggrin ).

Not *as good* as Band of Brothers (these series had it easier, because the whole Easy Company was a character in and of itself, The Pacific has some problems at the beginning with establishing who is who, it gets better when it starts concentrating on Sledge only during the war scenes), but great in its own merits. The score is good to very good, but again can't compare to Band of Brothers. The best of Geoff Zanelli is far from the best of Michael Kamen. Anyway, amazing.

I would love to discuss some of the series in a more detailed way, but I guess that will demand serious spoiler tags smile
  9. Steven wrote
    I'm sure it's very good, but to be honest I'm just not in the mood to see yet another world war 2 story.

The Pacific will serve as a great prelude to a potential Vietnam miniseries. I wonder if Spielberg and Hanks would go to create such a project. I also wouldn't mind a Korean war miniseries
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

WW2 was the biggest event in all of History, there's tons of stories to come and which I would welcome.

But yeah, I'd also welcome a Vietnam mini series.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    Just watched the last episode and I have to say the whole series is very, very good on all levels. The last episode is sublime, very moving and emotional. Score wise, the show has been fantastic, and the rendition of all the main themes in the last episode is nothing but great. It's been a pleasure.

I haven't seen any of it but look forward to hiring it and having a viewing marathon.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  10. It may be sometimes too heavy for a marathon.
  11. BTW, if there is something I may prefer in The Pacific than in BoB it would be humor. Yes, there is some.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    It may be sometimes too heavy for a marathon.

You underestimate my ability to consume this kind of thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The Pacific is more about horror of war than SPR was. It deals A LOT with how the horrors of war influence a single soldier. Without spoiling anything, I think it's shown the best with Eugene Sledge's storyline, a character that particularly struggles to stay human during the course of the war (and interestingly the character who voiced his will to go to fight himself).

Indeed. Sledge's storyline is brilliant, I understand why the last episode is more focused on him. I loved his relationship with Shelton as well.

PawelStroinski wrote
    The score, being a slightly more Americana twist on Zimmer's TTRL sound, fits very well and the nature of the series demands that kind of sound. I would say that Zimmer's Iwo Jima piece is the best I've heard in the whole series.

Overall, the music is better than Kamen's Band of Brothers. Yes, I mean it.

PawelStroinski wrote
    I also have a thing for Zanelli's Peleliu/Sledge's theme,

Blake Neely's 'Basilone's Theme' is the best theme of the series IMO. Its use as a love theme is brilliant, very moving and spot on. Zanelli's 'Leckie's Theme' is also very good and the music of the final episode when Sledge comes back home is simply brilliant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I hope it is screened over here. I liked BAND OF BROTHERS, but wasn't head over heels about it, as many others.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010 edited
    Here's the thing.

I'm pretty much WWII'd out.
    Without any disrespect to survivors or veterans, there are -especially on TV and film- no more stories to tell that aren't, for the larger part, variations on a theme that we have seen time and time again.
    Yes, these stories are essential. We need them in the public consciousness.

But at some time, and again no disrespect intended to anyone, we need to realize that it's starting to pass into history. It's been 65 years. A lifetime! What is there still to add that is not simply of historic interest (on the level any conflict or major upheaval in history may be)?

I would really, really prefer a shift to the present.
    Where are the mini-series about Darfur?
    Where are the slews of films on Yugoslavia? Somalia? Ethiopia?

My theory is that many of these WWII films and series -for all their good intentions and their inarguable historic and artistic value- leave us in our comfort zone. It's filmed in a close enough fashion for us to care, but it's historically enough removed for us not to feel TOO uncomfortable. And if we cannot comfort ourselves with the classic "never again" thought ("hah!", he laughed most cynically), then at the very least we are validated in that "it was a horrible, horrible thing" by the neverending parade of introspective slow-motion camera shots with only elegiac music supporting it. And so we move on.
    But I would dare pose that we are not truly shocked, or ashamed any more.

And I would like for a movie or series, especially about global conflict, to do that to me.
    I think the last true meaningful film to have anything to say about the second World War was Schindler's List. And of course I realize there are more stories to tell, and many, many atrocities still very much in the dark (the Japanese appalling history in China comes to mind), but again, these would be variations on a theme, and in many ways without purpose or lessons. These countries, these people no longer exist in that format. The world has moved on. And we are faced with many detestable preventable atrocities right now.

Rather than have a zillion films in sixty years time telling us how heroic some were, how terrible it was and how much better we could have done (if only we'd been paying proper attention), I'd really like to see some attention now.

But then that'd probably make people uncomfortable.
    And I guess there's not too much box office in that. ( <- sorry. Cynicism again. But I can't really fathom why else modern history would be left so woefully underexposed)

I realise this is quite off-topic, but this was on my mind for a long time, and -especially after reading Steven's comment- this seemed like a good place to vent it.

I wonder what other people think?
    I have discussed this with family and friends, but I seem quite isolated in my views.
    So it may well be that I am missing something. That the current (renewed) interest and occupation with WWII offers something that I haven't felt yet. If so, I'd love to hear some thoughts on that as well.
    (If it's OK that I've hijacked this thread).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I kinda agree. I'm not too keen on Vietnam films either. Heck, not any of the "American" wars. I'd prefer, as you, one of the contemporary conflicts, that mostly has a more global involvement and not restricted to one or a few countries fighting in a wartorn area.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    I kinda agree. I'm not too keen on Vietnam films either. Heck, not any of the "American" wars.

Hmmm, I'd say Vietnam and Korea are the only two "American" wars if I understand your definition correctly.
    All the rest though, the global conflicts including, still have a significant American part, so it's going to be next to impossible to understate their role!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote
    I kinda agree. I'm not too keen on Vietnam films either. Heck, not any of the "American" wars.

Hmmm, I'd say Vietnam and Korea are the only two "American" wars if I understand your definition correctly.
    All the rest though, the global conflicts including, still have a significant American part, so it's going to be next to impossible to understate their role!

And of course the American Civil War. I'll put Iraq in there too, even though it has an international presence.

I would like more war films from non-American eyes.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010 edited
    Thor wrote
    And of course the American Civil War.

biggrin
    I wasn't gonna say.
    Well, if we go down that path, I'd include the American-Mexican was and the American-Spanish war!
    And maybe the police actions in Nicaragua and Colombia! smile

I'll put Iraq in there too, even though it has an international presence.

Hmmmmm... I can see why you'd say that. I still would say it's a UN issue, but it's incontestible the US had a major role in the invasion.

I would like more war films from non-American eyes.

Agreed. That too would serve significantly in getting out of the "comfort zone" I lamented in my earlier long post.
  12. Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote

Australia fought in both wars, so they're not entirely American either.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

WW2 was the biggest event in all of History, there's tons of stories to come and which I would welcome.

On the history channel, yeah. But I'm bored of WW2 films and TV shows now. As Martijn pointed out, any more stories will probably just end up as variations on a theme: "Bad shit happened during 1939-1945, so don't let it happen again, okay?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ALL stories are variations on a theme.

Still, if you're bored then simply don't watch them, end of.