• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2010 edited
    Very good concert! Very very well performed, good selections and a killer of a Bond suite. Barry put together the programme himself, but forgot to add The Buffalo Hunt! The suite of Dances with Wolves was about 15 minutes I think, it'd have been excellent with some more variation.

As for what Bob says, it can be hard to distinguish the themes in some of his more romantic scores: they all sound alike you could say. If you're not familiar with it, I can agree. Still, it's all beautiful music.

Chaplin, The Knack and Persuaders were surprising, and well received, choices!

Pictures here
    http://www.filmfestival.be/features2.cg … mp;lang=en
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2010
    Southall wrote
    For the rest of my days I will never forget the concert Barry did at the Albert Hall in 1998 (or whenever it was - his first one for years and years). I was stunned that he didn't just do the long-lined romantic era stuff, but also The Persuaders, The Knack, The Ipcress File. Incredible night.

I didn't meet Basil Poledouris, but I did meet Michael Winner who I would go on to meet (well, see) a further three times in the space of about a fortnight, in completely random places. It was absolutely bizarre.

I get confused as well, I'm sure it was 98 and I saw and spoke to Michael Winner there, I'd like to hear an elaboration of where you saw him a further three times though? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The next day I saw him when I was walking to the Cinema Store (he was going into the Ivy - surprise surprise!) then one week later I saw him in Bath city centre, then again I saw him getting into a car in London the following week. Sadly I haven't seen him since.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    What about Barry himself? Did he appear through a video greeting of some sort?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Yes, he recorded a video message, and was saddened he wasn't able to come. He sounded very old, and his voice very low and slow. He didn't look that well I think.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    Yes, he recorded a video message, and was saddened he wasn't able to come. He sounded very old, and his voice very low and slow. He didn't look that well I think.

Well, his voice has always been low and slow, if that's a comfort.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    He sounded a bit like Darth Vader. tongue
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Picture of the video message, with Nicholas Dodd in front
    http://www.filmfestival.be/img/news/news_1191.jpg
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2010 edited
    Yes, he does look a bit frail there.

By the way, leaving my apartment now, so then we can see how many hours it takes for me to get to you! See ya.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    wave
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Yep , it was a very nice concert - enjoyed it a lot though it missed some *punch* in several places .
    Especially the Dances With Wolves Suite which was beautiful but too much of the same .
    Like Bregt said it needed some more variation .

Another disappointment was the theme of The Persuaders , one of my favourite Barry themes btw .
    It also lacked some *punch* and the synth piano was waaay to quiet , you could hardly hear it !
    It has a key function in the theme but was totally lost here !

The Zulu theme was awesome and Chaplin was stunningly beautiful .

The grand finale with the James Bond Suite was just pure *Padaboom* , fabultastic !!

Looking forward in watching it again on tv soon ...
    Dunno why they shot a 3D version of the concert though ?!
    It's the latest fashion I suppose ... everything's gotta be in 3D ...

Here's the tracklist of the concert :

Goldfinger
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service (We Have All The Time ...)
    Zulu
    Somewhere in Time
    Moviola
    The Persuaders
    Mary Queen of Scots
    Midnight Cowboy
    Dances With Wolves Suite

Born Free
    Octopussy (All Time High)
    Out of Africa
    Body Heat
    Chaplin
    You Only Live Twice (Space march)
    The Knack
    The James Bond Suite

Encore : The James Bond Theme
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    The next day I saw him when I was walking to the Cinema Store (he was going into the Ivy - surprise surprise!) then one week later I saw him in Bath city centre, then again I saw him getting into a car in London the following week. Sadly I haven't seen him since.

lol

I saw quite a few "celebs" that night, Skinner & Baddiel, Nick Moran ( I had a chat with him at the bar in the intermission ), Gloria Hunniford and even Ian McCulloch, lead singer of Echo and The Bunnymen. Apparently Robbie Williams and Jonathan Ross were also there that night but I didn't see them, as you can imagine, my life is now incomplete.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2010
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Ha! I forgot we made those last ones. Thanks Eric!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2010
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2010

Those last two pics........who ARE they?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2010 edited
    You should recognize at least 3 of them, me on the back left, and Thomas and Bregt on the right.

Then there's Mary-Lise on the far left, Tim (Timon I think), Eric and Mario (posts here about once a year).
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2010
    DreamTheater wrote
    You should recognize at least 3 of them, me on the back left, and Thomas and Bregt on the right.

Then there's Mary-Lise on the far left, Tim (Timon I think), Eric and Mario (posts here about once a year).

I was jesting wink It was only Tim and Mario and Mary-Lise I didn't recognise.
  1. face-palm-mt

I forgot you had a meeting earlier.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2011
    Good news! I think they're broadcasting this on Exqi tomorrow (Tuesday)! The programme, at least, says: John Barry Lifetime Achievement Award.
    smile
  2. fommes wrote
    Good news! I think they're broadcasting this on Exqi tomorrow (Tuesday)! The programme, at least, says: John Barry Lifetime Achievement Award.
    smile

brother?
    you're recording this?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    If anybody wants it without the giant Exqi logo in the right corner and commercials in it just give a yell , but not too loud ... wink
  3. Eric wrote
    If anybody wants it without the giant Exqi logo in the right corner and commercials in it just give a yell , but not too loud ... wink

oooooohhhhhh cheesy
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Eric wrote

oooooohhhhhh cheesy

I'll take that as a soft yell ... lol
  4. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    fommes wrote
    smile

brother?
    you're recording this?

Ok, I'll set it tonight, but on the DVD-recorder, so we can copy it on disc, for those that want it.
    • CommentAuthorkilar30
    Yes, I would like to have the concert in DVD. It was wonderful. The theme of Mary Queen of Scotland was one of the most beautiful moments in the evening. It was very sweet!!! It´s one of my favorites scores of Mr. Barry. Bravo!!!!!