• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2010
    It is Alan's personal list and he does enjoy Herrmann so be it.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    WINNER
    The Red Shoes: Brian Easdale
    NOMINEES
    Hamlet: William Walton
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Joan of Arc: Hugo Friedhofer
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Johnny Belinda: Max Steiner
    the next year
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    herrmann did nothing that year so you'll have to wait a couple more years for Earth Stood Still smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2010 edited
    sdtom wrote
    herrmann did nothing that year so you'll have to wait a couple more years for Earth Stood Still smile

biggrin

I have a couple of scores from the next set of nominations - though my choice from last time wasn't one of them (unsurprisingly!) Looking at my list from last time there are only another two Herrmann's - and The Day The Earth Stood Still wasn't one of them. But things can changes and you'll have to wait and see!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2010
    sdtom wrote
    WINNER
    The Red Shoes: Brian Easdale
    NOMINEES
    Hamlet: William Walton
    Joan of Arc: Hugo Friedhofer
    Johnny Belinda: Max Steiner
    the next year

My vote would go to Easdale's The Red Shoes, a fantastic score that could really do with the Morgan/Stromberg or Rumon Gamba/CHANDOS treatment.

I'm willing to bet Friedhofer's Joan of Arc is a great score but alas, I've never heard it, not even in context with the film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote
    My vote would go to Easdale's The Red Shoes, a fantastic score that could really do with the Morgan/Stromberg or Rumon Gamba/CHANDOS treatment.

From what I can see, up until now, there's only really a titles tracks and the ballet music available for The Red Shoes? And I assume that the ballet music that is available is based on Easdale's work?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
    Tom, wasn't Alfred Newman's The Snake Pit also nominated in 1948?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    i believe it was.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Director of Snake Pit also did The Long Night which I just reviewed. 7 nominations but only one win. Powerful movie.
    Thomas
  2. By the way, interesting review of The Long Night Tom.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    A role you don't normally associate Henry 'aw shucks' Fonda with.
  3. 1948 - Scott of The Antarctic - Ralph Vaughan Williams

I've not listened to the symphony (although I do have it) but what I really like about this score is the way in which Vaughan Williams is able to recreate the vastness and inhospitable environment of the snowy wastelands. And he seems to do it so economically as well.

There's also some effective touches (again, almost there's a less-is-more mentality that composers today could learn from) such as the tinkling heard in the cue "Aurorae" for - I assume - footage of the natural sky display.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer has always raved on about that one, as have many others, so I'd better check it out.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
    Thor wrote
    Timmer has always raved on about that one, as have many others, so I'd better check it out.

It's a beautiful work - I have the "Film Music of Ralph Vaughan Williams" (Chandos 10007).

As I mentioned, I have his Symphony no. 7, Sinfonia Antartica (my version) that I need to listen to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    A wonderful choice indeed!!! Unusual in the respect that a symphony came about as a result of this. I find that there is a flow in the symphony that the score can't offer, although the thematic material is the same. RVW is a genius and this is certainly a fine example of what he can do.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2010
    Best Music, Scoring of a Dramatic or Comedy Picture
    WINNER
    The Heiress: Aaron Copland
    NOMINEES
    Beyond the Forest: Max Steiner
  4. Tom, I assume that the fall-off in the number of nominations over the last couple of years compared with earlier is reflective of the Academy messing about with the categories for music in films?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2010 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    1948 - Scott of The Antarctic - Ralph Vaughan Williams

I've not listened to the symphony (although I do have it) but what I really like about this score is the way in which Vaughan Williams is able to recreate the vastness and inhospitable environment of the snowy wastelands. And he seems to do it so economically as well.

There's also some effective touches (again, almost there's a less-is-more mentality that composers today could learn from) such as the tinkling heard in the cue "Aurorae" for - I assume - footage of the natural sky display.

IMO there was NO other choice for 1948.

A sublime score.

You know what, sadly there won't be much in-put from the majority of posters on this board until you get to more "recent" scoring periods.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2010 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote

It's a beautiful work - I have the "Film Music of Ralph Vaughan Williams" (Chandos 10007).

As I mentioned, I have his Symphony no. 7, Sinfonia Antartica (my version) that I need to listen to.

You really should give it a listen Alan, it contains a lot of material from the film score but differs in many respects, the organ heard in the 3rd movement is an awesome piece of monumental Herrmanneque proportions, there's no doubt Herrmann was influenced by RVW.

p.s. That version you have, Bernard Haitink, is one of the best, a very good choice sir. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I fear that you're right Alan about the number of participants.
    Thomas
  5. sdtom wrote
    I fear that you're right Alan about the number of participants.
    Thomas

That was Tim's observation, Tom. But I do agree with it.

I'm hoping that the list of early titles gives people a list to look at if they do want to look at some early stuff. These selections may not be everyones choice, but I'd like to think that there's not a "bad" one amongst them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Really there isn't Alan. As you're well aware The Golden Age Site just didn't have enough interest. People who like rock and roll don't usually like swing music and swing music fans aren't into charleston music.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    While the list is small my personal favorite isn't listed but it is extremely high on my all time list (top 10).
    Thomas smile
  6. I'll try and get this year's title posted this evening. But it may be tomorrow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm confident our choices won't agree. smile
  7. 1949 - Samson and Delilah - Victor Young

Sometimes a title can have such a wonderful theme that it just leaps to the top of the pile, needing to be appreciated. And Young's main theme for Samson and Delilah is one of those themes!

All I've heard of this score is the 12-minute suite from the "Tribute To Victor Young" CD (my main source of Victor Young music, I'm afraid.) But what there is is beautiful. The delicate harp rendition of the main theme in the track "The Fall of Samson" is a highlight.

A score that is largely forgotten and really needs the (for example) Morgan/Stromberg treatment to expand the music available and to raise the profile of Young's worthy music.
  8. Timmer wrote
    You know what, sadly there won't be much in-put from the majority of posters on this board until you get to more "recent" scoring periods.

Sometimes I wonder as well whether I just don't say enough that's actually interesting about the music. I know what the music's about, and the people who have heard the music obviously know what the music's about but maybe I just don't push the right buttons when I talk about the titles?

It's this sort of uncertainty that holds me back from writing reviews: I just don't have the vocabulary to express to the level I want to what the music's doing and describe it in a way that's not just a repetitive "I like it because it's good!"
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2010
    Does anyone want to guess what my choice will be?
  9. sdtom wrote
    Does anyone want to guess what my choice will be?

Aaron Copland - The Heiress? Or The Red Pony?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2010 edited
    I'm not commenting any more.
    You were mean to me, and it hurt my extremely sensitive feelings. sad

But for what it's worth, my choice for 1948 would have been Tiomkin's thunderous Red River. It's the kind of score that makes you sit up and take notice, and -as is Tiomkin's wont- it is compelling and in your face, like a good old-fashioned western is supposed to be. Giddyap!

For 1949 it would have been Rozsa's beautifully romantic Madame Bovary (that waltz is one of the best things Rozsa ever wrote!). It'd be with pain in my heart that I'd have to pass over Karas' monumental The Third Man theme, but in all honesty as grand a theme as it is, it cannot support the rest of the score, which is quaint and amusing at best.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn