• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2010
    The Red Pony is correct Alan!!! A great story and excellent score from Copland. You already know my choice for next year. Another great one!!!!
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    1949 - Samson and Delilah - Victor Young

Sometimes a title can have such a wonderful theme that it just leaps to the top of the pile, needing to be appreciated. And Young's main theme for Samson and Delilah is one of those themes!

All I've heard of this score is the 12-minute suite from the "Tribute To Victor Young" CD (my main source of Victor Young music, I'm afraid.) But what there is is beautiful. The delicate harp rendition of the main theme in the track "The Fall of Samson" is a highlight.

A score that is largely forgotten and really needs the (for example) Morgan/Stromberg treatment to expand the music available and to raise the profile of Young's worthy music.

A great choice Alan and one can only hope for a re-recording.

I'm sure Nacimbene's The Vikings was influenced by this.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Martijn wrote
    I'm not commenting any more.
    You were mean to me, and it hurt my extremely sensitive feelings. sad

Fortunately I know what you're like and I know that you don't really mean it! kiss

Red River doesn't really do much for me - although the presentation of the score in the re-recording to another triumph in production. If it's any consolation, Madame Bovary was a very close second to Samson and Delilah but I just couldn't pass on that theme. Which is more than I can say for The Third Man. That's a particularly annoying theme to me.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. sdtom wrote
    The Red Pony is correct Alan!!!

Funnily enough I had picked this one last time: I must not have had the Victor Young compilation CD at that time. I listened to The Red Pony the other day but was surprised how little I felt about it.

Am I managing to alienate everyone?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    sdtom wrote
    The Red Pony is correct Alan!!!

Funnily enough I had picked this one last time: I must not have had the Victor Young compilation CD at that time. I listened to The Red Pony the other day but was surprised how little I felt about it.

Am I managing to alienate everyone?

confused
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Martijn wrote
    I'm not commenting any more.
    You were mean to me, and it hurt my extremely sensitive feelings. sad

Fortunately I know what you're like and I know that you don't really mean it! kiss

Red River doesn't really do much for me - although the presentation of the score in the re-recording to another triumph in production. If it's any consolation, Madame Bovary was a very close second to Samson and Delilah but I just couldn't pass on that theme. Which is more than I can say for The Third Man. That's a particularly annoying theme to me.

Red River over Scott of The Antarctic....not by a million miles!

I like The Third Man theme but that's really all there is to it, it's a mono thematic score. Madam Bovary is a fine score but Samson was the right choice. beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. 1950 - Sunset Blvd. - Franz Waxman

There wasn't really any other choice for 1950 - and not just because I don't have very many examples of scores from this year. Waxman's score is wonderful and it gets off to a frenetic start with the prelude and "Chase and Mansion".

Sunset Blvd. is full of nostalgia for the era (a lot to do with the orchestrations Waxman chose) and the music is moody (whilst being listenable!). Though there are lighter moments, particularly in some of the use of Joe's theme. There's never a dull moment and that's a testament to Waxman's talent.

I admit that this isn't a score that I listen to very often - and I'd forgotten just how interesting it can be. But listening to it again now I can appreciate it again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2010
    Excellent choice!!!!!!!!!
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Waxman is my favourite Golden Age composer and everything, but somehow, I never really got to like SUNSET BOULEVARD. I don't know why...it's something about the film noirish "intensity", almost Rozsa-like in its use of of dramatic brass and strings that grate a bit. I have the Varese rerecording, and the performance is fine and concertey - just the way I like it - so it's only a property of the music itself. I think the theme/suite is enough for me here, so I'm actually selling the CD and keeping the suite on the LEGENDS OF HOLLYWOOD compilation.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    We agree to disagree Thor on this one. I've got the Soundstage, RCA, and Varese on this one and find this to be what film music is all about. It's too bad that All About Eve came in the same year or I'd cast a vote for that one too. An excellent job from Newman.
    Thomas
  4. Thor wrote
    Waxman is my favourite Golden Age composer and everything, but somehow, I never really got to like SUNSET BOULEVARD. I don't know why...it's something about the film noirish "intensity"...

I think that this is what I like so much about Sunset Blvd. and why I'd say that this was may favourite Waxman score!

And I really like the Varese re-recording.

BTW, 1951 is going to be a touch choice - and I may need an extra day to finally decide what my choice is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I also like Sunset Blvd a lot. I think it was my first Golden Age score.

FalkirkBairn wrote
    Sunset Blvd. is full of nostalgia for the era (a lot to do with the orchestrations Waxman chose) and the music is moody (whilst being listenable!).

And that's why! cool
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Sunset Boulevard was one great film too! As part of my North Park older film series a few years back this was one of my selections. A film not to be missed.
    Thomas
  5. Coincidentally, I received today another one in the series of Scarecrow Press' "A Film Score Guides" that looks at Alex North's score to A Streetcar Named Desire (Annette Davison). I've been listening to this the last couple of days and I'm interested to read around the score.

For anyone who's interested chapter headings include:

- Alex North's Musical Background
    - North's Technique of Film Scoring
    - The Historical and Critical Context of A Streetcar Named Desire
    - A Streetcar Named Desire's Soundscape
    - An Analysis of The Score

Although I don't really understand them I love pouring over the musical notation extracts quoted in these books and trying to read them side-by-side with the music. As well as for this score there's also some notation examples for Viva Zapata!, The Bad Seed, Spartacus, Cleopatra & Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?.

BTW, other titles in this series:

- The English Patient (Yared)
    - Batman (Elfman)
    - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Morricone)
    - Forbidden Planet (Barron)
    - The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (Herrmann)
    - The Adventures of Robin Hood (Korngold)
    - The Ice Storm (Danna)
    - A Streetcar Named Desire (North)
  6. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Coincidentally, I received today another one in the series of Scarecrow Press' "A Film Score Guides" that looks at Alex North's score to A Streetcar Named Desire (Annette Davison)...

Interesting foreword from the series' editor Kate Daubney who uses the platform to complain at the fees charged by copyright holders for the reproduction of manuscript quotations/extracts.

She mentions that sometimes the costs can be so high that score quotations that are used in written works that discuss film scores can be so show as to make their quotation meaningless for any useful discussions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    She mentions that sometimes the costs can be so high that score quotations that are used in written works that discuss film scores can be so show as to make their quotation meaningless for any useful discussions.

Does she actually offer an analysis or some insights on why this development is so completely out of control?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. No, not really. It's just a short editorial:

She talks about how the series of books needs to reflect the changing environment of film scoring, changes such as the use of computers and electronic composition techniques and even the increased interest in director's cuts in DVD releases*. But, something that hasn't changed is the relationship between film music studies and the holders of copyright.

She talks about how the concept of "fair use" of quotation from "textual sources" is commonplace and universally accepted in research but researchers in film music are constantly being obstructed from seeing original manuscripts or quoting passages by the copyright holders..."they seem suspicious of authors' reasons for requesting such permissions with some charging outrageously high fees for small numbers of quotations that do not represent in any accurate way a potential threat to their revenue." They seem to be afraid that their music (in manuscript form) is going to be illegally reproduced.

*From reading some of the text in the book it seems that Alex North's score for the film was originally edited out because the censors/filmmakers felt that in the original form the score was too provocative at one point. A subsequent release of the DVD to A Streetcar Named Desire may have seen this portion re-introduced as originally intended? I need to read the book to see if this is correct.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Ridiculous. Makes no sense at all. You'd think she was going to sell a million copies or more.
    Thomas
  8. 1951 - The Day The Earth Stood Still - Bernard Herrmann

Okay, get it over with. Give me your wrath! I've been listening to other worthy scores such as A Streetcar Named Desire, The Thing From Another World and Rozsa's Quo Vadis but, for me, they don't really compare with what Herrmann came out with.

This captures all the insecurities of the era (through his style) and more-or-less defines the sound of sci-fi scores with the brilliant use of the theremin. Track after track is mood-setting rather than mirroring the action (listen to something like "Klaatu" and on the surface it seems boring but just think what the music is trying to say and it's just brilliant!) But he's not averse to mimicking the on-screen action: Gort's lumbering gait is perfectly captured by Herrmann's music.

I'm a bit biased - I love Herrmann's style in this mode rather than a lot of his earlier "romantic" scores - but it's a solid score that was a bit overshadowed by a lot of "better" scores in 1951.
  9. BTW, Herrmann might not feature in 1952. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2010 edited
    Quo Vadis for me easily compares with Herrmann's work, and in fact surpasses it in sheer beauty: Rozsa is in top form here and delivers not one note out of place. In fact, while I prefer symphonic suite representations, the archival cues on FSM's Rozsa box are so magnificent that they blow a lot of the Ben Hur archival cues right out of the water! shocked

BUT Herrmann's work on The Day The Earth Stood Still is a landmark work. It's taut, it's clever, it fits the film, the mood and the era to a T, and -next to North By Northwest- is my favourite Herrmann score of them all. In fact, I'm quite sure this would have been my pick of '51 as well.

But what a year for film music.

What. A. Year.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2010 edited
    Once again Alan chooses wisely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    confused confused confused
    Too stunned to comment
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I guess next year will be another Herrmann "Beneath The Twelve Mile Reef."
  10. Alan just said that he might not have Herrmann next year wink
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I don't really like Herrmann's sci fi music, including Alan's pick. It's too noisy, too much wailing stuff, too many "chord-stop effects", as I like to call them. I don't really like QUO VADIS either...I can only take so much of Rozsa's epic intensities.

There is no doubt in my mind that I would pick North's STREETCAR for this year. Not only is it a moody, jazzy, sensual listening experience, it's also one of the most important scores of all time, a cornerstone and reference point.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Street Car is good
  11. sdtom wrote
    confused confused confused
    Too stunned to comment
    Thomas

Remember, Tom. It's my favourite choices - not necessarily the "best". You do know I like Herrmann!
  12. Thor wrote
    There is no doubt in my mind that I would pick North's STREETCAR for this year. Not only is it a moody, jazzy, sensual listening experience, it's also one of the most important scores of all time, a cornerstone and reference point.

I think that North's score is probably the more technically accomplished of the two scores. The recent book I have on A Streetcar Named Desire is certainly full of discussions on what North composed - and how his score fits in the whole scheme of things. It is certainly my second choice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2010
    It is your list Alan I do know this.
    Thomas