• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. sdtom wrote
    I guess next year will be another Herrmann "Beneath The Twelve Mile Reef."

Nope!

I have this one down as a 1953 release. Along with 2 other Herrmann titles! Although there are also 3 other Herrmann titles from 1952. wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2010 edited
    I think we need Tom to start his own thread. Or at least continue on with his Best 100 Scores of All Time list that I think he started at scorereviews.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    I think we need to Tom start his own thread. Or at least continue on with his Best 100 Scores of All Time list that I think he started at scorereviews.

That's a good idea, Erik. Tom's Best 100 Scores of All Time was an interesting read.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2010
    Perhaps I will when Alan completes his. It is a friendly bantor anyway. He can have 50 Herrmann if he wants.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  3. sdtom wrote
    He can have 50 Herrmann if he wants.

Oooh! A "Top 50 Herrmann scores" would make an interesting topic!

I might just think about that one, Tom. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    That would mean there would be two new on topic topics? shocked
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    How many scores did Herrmann end up doing.
    Thomas
  4. sdtom wrote
    How many scores did Herrmann end up doing.

I'm not sure of the actual number but it must have been in the region of 50-60?

And numerous TV and radio scores.
  5. 1952 - Ivanhoe - Miklos Rozsa

Themes, themes and more themes! Listening to this again I'm reminded of how many wonderful themes are contained in this excellent score. There's an element of bombast in the score but it's the more subdued scoring in the earlier part of the score that's what stands out.

For ages I was content with the Rhino Handmade original tracks release. But recently I've been listening to the Intrada re-recording and Rozsa's score just shines under the baton of Broughton.

1952 is a year full of worthy scores but it's Rozsa's character study (rather than out-and-out Hollywood "historical" epic-ness) that lingers in the memory.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2010
    no argument from me on this one, a fine score.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Themes, themes and more themes! Listening to this again I'm reminded of how many wonderful themes are contained in this excellent score. There's an element of bombast in the score but it's the more subdued scoring in the earlier part of the score that's what stands out.

Exactly! The latter part I can hardly get through (from "The Battlement" and onwards on the Broughton recording, which is the only one I own), but the first part is really wonderful. I had contemplated putting this on my upcoming sales list, but then I listened to it again and found out that I wanted to keep it just for that first part.

I'm not sure I would have picked that as the score of 1952, as I have insufficient knowledge of what other scores came out that year, but it's not a bad choice.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Thor wrote
    I'm not sure I would have picked that as the score of 1952, as I have insufficient knowledge of what other scores came out that year, but it's not a bad choice.

There were a few titles that made it difficult to choose from:

The Bad and The Beautiful (Raksin)
    The Snows of Kilimanjaro (Herrmann)
    Above and Beyond (Friedhofer)
    High Noon (Tiomkin)
    Viva Zapata! (North)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote

There were a few titles that made it difficult to choose from:

The Bad and The Beautiful (Raksin)
    The Snows of Kilimanjaro (Herrmann)
    Above and Beyond (Friedhofer)
    High Noon (Tiomkin)
    Viva Zapata! (North)

HIGH NOON may have been picked in terms of historical significance (being the first film in the West to truly profit of a main title song in a synergy effect), but then again, this is more about personal favourites, so anything goes.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    High Noon is a wonderful score, and certainly you're right Thor that its historic significance is way beyond that of Ivanhoe. But Ivanhoe is such a standout performance by Rozsa, which such a magnificent wealth of themes. One of his most approachable works and a beautifully lyrical work. I dearly love it (and Broughton's rerecording absolutely shines).

Good choice, Alan! beer
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Above and Beyond is also a staple for me in my collection but I don't think a lot of people have it.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Ivanhoe gets my vote too. I worship Rozsa.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Best Music, Scoring of a Dramatic or Comedy Picture
    WINNER
    Lili: Bronislau Kaper
    NOMINEES
    Above and Beyond: Hugo Friedhofer
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From Here to Eternity: Morris Stoloff, George Duning
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Julius Caesar: Miklós Rózsa
    This Is Cinerama: Louis Forbes

actually above and beyond is in this year
  7. sdtom wrote
    ...actually Above and Beyond is in this year

Pah! What does the Academy know!! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2010
    It is a bit confusing I agree
  8. sdtom wrote
    It is a bit confusing I agree

I suppose it's all down to the rules: at what time of the year the film opened and, more importantly, when it opened in the specific area (is it Los Angeles?) that makes it eligible at that time.

I remember in one of the titles already listed that a movie was opened a few months before the general release in order for it to be eligible for the upcoming Academy Awards.
  9. BTW, sorry about the delay on the next year's selection: the number of titles I need to check on is steadily growing and there's an increasing number of good scores per year. Which can make final selection (if there's a few titles close to one another) difficult.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2010
    I know you're right about the release thing.
    Thomas
  10. 1953 - The Robe - Alfred Newman

Over the years there's been many a film set during biblical times, and I suppose that the composer most associated with this type of film is Miklos Rozsa - who's likely to feature again later in this list at least once with films scores from this genre.

I really enjoy this effort from Alfred Newman both for it's "biblical epic style" (e.g., the "Prelude", which includes the required choir and lush strings) and the variety within the score that singles it out from the aforementioned biblical epic sound. There's the required brass fanfares dotted throughout the score - I especially like the toe-tapping "Caligula's Arrival" - as well. There's the required pain and struggle in cues such as "The Carriage of The Cross" (with what sounds like some sort of electronic drone). And the piano ostinato heard in "The Chase" is a very bold step when heard in amongst the rest of the score.

But the aspect of this score that raises it above the rest this year is the beautiful theme that's first heard in "The Slave Market" and is heard again throughout the score (as heard in "Capri" with those lush strings, it frequently brings tears to my eyes.)

A great score that benefits from the 2-CD representation on the Varese Deluxe Edition.

Oh, and Beneath The 12-Mile Reef is good, too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2010
    I love the Religious Sound, as you know, and Alfred Newman has touched on this in GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD and, partially, THE SONG OF BERNADETTE. But I've never heard THE ROBE. Is it in the same vein?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2010 edited
    I would say that there are definite similarities of The Robe with the titles you mention - when the religious sound is heard. And, personally, I think that the 1953 score is just as good as The Greatest Story Ever Told.

But, as I mention, The Robe isn't just about the religious sound. There's a lot of other styles mixed into the score that in a way just accentuates the religious aspect of the score. From what I remember of the movie, it's not really about what happens to Jesus. That's more of a backdrop to the main story.

The clips to this 1 disc re-recording(?) does give a sense of The Robe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    I love the Religious Sound, as you know, and Alfred Newman has touched on this in GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD and, partially, THE SONG OF BERNADETTE. But I've never heard THE ROBE. Is it in the same vein?

Go HERE and listen to Show#1 Hour 3. The Robe comes on at 30:15.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I do love Above and Beyond and I admit to being partial to Friedhofer.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

Me too Tom but Alan's choice was spot on IMO.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I can't argue with his choice nor can anyone argue with mine.
    Thomas
  11. sdtom wrote

Above and Beyond is very much a Friedhofer score - it's very distinctive. I think that this one falls into the same category as The Best Years of Our Lives: to see the movie is to appreciate the score more (like the majority of film music.)