• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    I would have gone for The Man With The Golden Arm or The Gadfly. As for This Island Earth, it's been too long since I last saw it to remember the score.

Both these scores have really spectacular tracks that should be a part of anyone's "favourites" playlist. As an overall favourite, This Island Earth got the nod. It could be said that a lot of the tracks on the latter score are very "samey" and that's why the score as a whole rates so highly, particularly if what is so memorable is repeated throughout the score. And that's certainly a valid criticism for the way I'm going through these scores.

Now, if I did a "favourite theme of the year" I'm sure my choices would be very different!

1956 posted when tonight.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2010
    Best Music, Scoring of a Dramatic or Comedy Picture
    WINNER
    Around the World in Eighty Days: Victor Young
    Posthumously.
    NOMINEES
    Anastasia: Alfred Newman
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Between Heaven and Hell: Hugo Friedhofer
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Giant: Dimitri Tiomkin
    The Rainmaker: Alex North

listen to more classical music!
  2. 1956 - Around The World In 80 Days - Victor Young

One of the main things I like about this score is that whenever I hear anything from this I just have to smile. It's such a bright score that it surely brightens the mood of any listener!

The themes are very memorable indeed - and very hummable. And there's a musical tour around the world thrown in for good measure.

And the sound on this CD is amazing for something from 1956.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2010
    couldn't agree more
  3. 1957 - Omar Khayyam - Victor Young

I've come to this score only quite recently but it's made quite an impression on me as can be seem with its choice for this year!

I'd never heard of the movie before hearing Young's music, the film is (loosely) about a Persian poet and mathematician's life. The style and orchestrations (there's a fair amount of what sounds like finger bells to be heard) certainly suggest an eastern locale for the film but there's certainly a western basis for the score (any film that has Michael Rennie playing a character named Hasani Sabah isn't going to stray too far from a western core!)

The main highlight for me is what sounds like a love theme for the movie: it's a lovely composition.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2010
    This is a tough year for me. Raintree County and An Affair to Remember are also pretty darn good scores. Again I can't disagree with Alan.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I've not heard it in or out of the film.

My choice would be Anastasia ( excellent score ) but only because that's the only one I've heard.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2010 edited
    sdtom wrote
    This is a tough year for me. Raintree County and An Affair to Remember are also pretty darn good scores.

These are two scores, Tom, that I have not heard. From memory, wasn't An Affair To Remember re-recorded by Marco Polo/Naxos? If it has been I think that I've only listened to clips.

Next year is a bit of a Herrmann-fest!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    And the first of many Mancini entries!!!!!
  4. 1958 - Vertigo - Bernard Herrmann

I'm sure that this is no surprise to anyone who knows my likes and dislikes. But there's so many highlights to this score, so many facets that everyone should have a place for this score in their collection. Currently, I have 4 versions!

Everyone should be familiar with the well-known highlights - e.g., the "Prelude" and "Scene d'Amour". But I particularly like the more subdued music Herrmann composed for Kim Novak's character. And that whole sequence where James Stewart tails Novak though the streets of San Francisco is spellbinding - both on CD and on screen. Likewise with Herrmann's Spanish-tinged motif for Carlotta.

Looking at what's also available to me from 1958 this is a strong year: Herrmann's The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, Elmer Bernstein's Anna Lucasta & Some Came Running (the latter with a huge title track) and Jerome Moross' The Big Country. shocked

But Vertigo it is!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2010
    For me this is a neck to neck race between The Big Country and A Touch of Evil.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2010
    For me I would have gone for THE BIG COUNTRY, quite simply it's one of my all time favourite scores, at the same time I can't really go against Alan's choice because VERTIGO is god darned brilliant too.

A tough year, Touch of Evil and 7th Voyage of Sinbad too!? CRIPES!!! dizzy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. 1959 - Ben-Hur - Miklos Rozsa

This is a powerhouse of a score and for the length of score it is there's barely a single filler track!

It kicks off with a wonderful summary of the score with the "Overture" that really captures of the emotions of the story. There's the usual roll-call of styles needed for a movie like this: the religious tracks, the Roman fanfares, the love theme, battle music, the "source" party/dance music, famous marches...the list goes on!

This is getting more difficult as the years progress: there's a couple of Herrmann's that could easily have made the list (Journey To The Center of the Earth, North By Northwest) and Duke Ellington's wonderful Anatomy of A Murder, as well as North's The Sound and The Fury.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2010
    Yikes a missed Herrmann
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Alan, you made the right choice, there could be NO OTHER WINNER for 1959 other than BEN-HUR.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    sdtom wrote
    Yikes a missed Herrmann

biggrin

It's the first time I have heard multiple scores of a year (2 tongue ). I'd go or Ben-Hur too. What an awesome score. Like you say, there's such a long row of fine tracks that I sometimes just want to have a break. Very intense score.
    Kazoo
  6. sdtom wrote
    Yikes a missed Herrmann

I know! In most other years either Journey To The Center of the Earth or North By Northwest would have been choices!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2010
    No need to explain Alan. We understand biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, this is a particularly frustrating year: there's no way around Ben Hur. There just isn't. It's one of those watershed scores that comes along once in a lifetime. It is a work of genius.

But North By Northwest is my very favourite Herrmann, whith an exceptionally brilliant theme and mood.
    In a list of favourites (rather than "objective" bests) this one might easily come out on top.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    WINNER
    Exodus: Ernest Gold
    NOMINEES
    Elmer Gantry: André Previn
    Spartacus: Alex North
    The Alamo: Dimitri Tiomkin
    The Magnificent Seven: Elmer Bernstein

This is a year where all of them are more than worthy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    An incredibly tough year for choices. I suspect Alan will plump for Magnificent Seven but he's proving to be unpredictable at times. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Not really Tim. Psycho was done by Herrmann, an obvious choice for Alan smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    sdtom wrote
    WINNER
    Exodus: Ernest Gold
    NOMINEES
    Elmer Gantry: André Previn
    Spartacus: Alex North
    The Alamo: Dimitri Tiomkin
    The Magnificent Seven: Elmer Bernstein

This is a year where all of them are more than worthy

The new Fitzpatrick recording of Exodus is quite worthy.
  7. Psycho is particularly tempting. wink

But the Tadlow re-recording of Exodus has certainly put it in the frame for consideration. But maybe it's too recent a release for it to become my favourite of that year.

As you mention, Tim, The Magnificent Seven is also another strong contender!

dizzy

But, if I were to choose one to listen to out of all those (or if I were to think of which one I would be most disappointed about if I could not listen to) it would be...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    we're waiting sleep sleep sleep
  8. sdtom wrote

You'll have to wait until I get home later today. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote

lol beer
  9. 1960 - The Magnificent Seven - Elmer Bernstein

I've just finished having a listen to this as well as Herrmann's Psycho and, although I might go with Psycho as being the more interesting of the two, at the moment Bernstein's score is the more enjoyable - and my favourite...at the moment!

Everyone's familiar with the title theme; a great composition that just shouts out wide open plains and cowboy endeavours. But, I have to say that I've always found myself liking Bernstein's theme for Calvera more - particularly that extension to the theme that seems to resolve the motif that's heard more predominantly - at ~2:35 and ~3:05 in "Main Title and Calvera".

And to counter the aggressive and exhausting main themes, it's beautifully countered with the more low-key material for the Mexican villagers.

Two other stand-out tracks on this CD are "The Journey" - and example I always think of where the music makes the on screen visuals seem much more animated, quick and exciting. The scene of them riding across the land is actually quite slow. And "Toro" is just a great set piece track that deserves to be played loud.

BTW, for years I was familiar only with the disc that featured the (stereo) tracks from Return of The Magnificent Seven before Rykodisc (with their great green-tinted jewel cases) released the (mono) tracks for the original film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2010
    The Exodus re-recording from Fitzpatrick sold me on this score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2010
    No complaints from me with Alan's choice beer